Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

House training my shih tzu

lbiessen
August 22nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
I have a couple of questions, my shih tzu is 15 weeks, at what age do they stop teeing sooo much. I stop her water at around 7 and no food after 5:30, but - she goes out several times between 5:30 and 10, then at midnight but still wakes up and needs to poo and pee at like 4:30 in the a.m. at what age to they give that part up. I can take her outside for 30 minutes and do nothing, then walks inside and tee's. :cry:

Also, even though I take her out regularly, she is put in my sun room for a few hours at time with potty pads, she uses it some times but not others? How do i get her to use this while i'm gone. Its like she pees every 30 minutes. There is no way I can stay with her 24 hours a day. Any advice.

joeysmama
August 22nd, 2007, 11:32 PM
Cooper is a shih tzu. He's two years old now so I'm trying to remember but I think at that age he was going out every couple hours. I know the first couple weeks he would piddle in his crate at night or in the early morning. He never cried or barked to go out so we slept through and he didn't get middle of the night potty breaks.

But we did take him out last thing, late at night, and then early in the morning, and lots and lots during the day. I watched for signs. He would start to run around right before he had to poop so that was a good sign.

Also we always went out the same door every time. Even if we were standing right by the front door I made sure that potty breaks always meant the kitchen door. And he trained very well---he goes to the kitchen door and sits up very straight and looks right at us until we take him out. He doesn't bark or scratch. It's just a very expectant look he gives us when he has to go.

Hang in there. Someone here (I wish I could remember who it was so I could thank them) told me about Pounce cat treats and that they are great to use for training puppies. I kept these handy and he got one when he did a piddle or a poopie and another when he came back inside.

lbiessen
August 23rd, 2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks, so its normal this routine of her's. I do look forward to when she is trained. Thanks again.

BusterBoo
August 23rd, 2007, 09:41 AM
I have a tzu/bichon who is now 16 months old and is FINALLY trained. Your little one at 15 weeks needs lots of potty breaks and lots of positive reinforcement (praise, treats, more praise, excitement!).

In the beginning I had to take Buster out approx every hour or more often. As soon as he got up, we went out, if he ate or drank, we went out, after playing, we went out.

Watch for the signs, eventually you will notice when he is about to pee or poop and at that point, take him outside....give a command (Go Pee or Potty or whatever words you want to use) and wait until he goes. Then the praise and "happy times!". (Your neighbours may think you have gone crazy, but a lot of praise is good).

It takes time to train these little ones and from my past experience, tzus can be a little stubborn.

Good luck!