Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat brushing...

I_love_mischa
August 22nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
So a week ago I went out and bought a brush for my, now 5month old cat, so I could start brushing him. Well everytime I brush him he attacks the brush! lol Will he just eventually get used to it or is there something I can do to make him stop?

crazyk1020
August 22nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Is he just playing with the brush or is he actually attacking (ie hissing and biting meaningfully) it? My cats both go through a little "play" attacking with the brush when I bring it out. It took me a few times of brushing before they actually got used to it in the beginning. What kind of brush are you using? Some brushes have really hard bristles and if brushed too hard it can actually hurt and cause scratches on teh skin which could be why he is attacking it. I had to go through a few different kinds of brushes to find a couple that worked and they tolerated. I use a shed ender which works well and what looks like a curry comb for horses. Generally as long as it isn't hurting them cats will get used to brushing if done on a regular basis. But they still can throw temper tantrums, like my FatFat does every single time :laughing:

krdahmer
August 22nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
:laughing: I have two that do this everytime I brush them, it's more like a sport!:rolleyes: And I am yet to figure out how to get them to stop attacking it, I've tried everything, waiting til they are sleeping, distracting them with toys.... my mom had some success with using a harness, as they just go limp when you put on the harness, it didn't work for mine but you could try it.

Jim Hall
August 22nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
ahh you got to be sneaky!! pet her first and then bring the brush out form hiding and be very gentle at first. Try to duplicate the action you pet her with using the brush.

Love4himies
August 22nd, 2007, 02:46 PM
I have one cat that I can't brush because he thinks it is play time. Haven't figured out how to stop him. My other cat just lies on her back and peddles in the air so I can brush under her chin.

clm
August 22nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
All of mine love to be brushed thank goodness. Gabby was a challenge when she was younger, but now they all just lie there and enjoy.

Cindy

ancientgirl
August 22nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
I have to wait until both of mine are asleep, and then when they wake up, I have to finish really fast. I began brushing them since they were tiny kitties, but nothing going. They don't like it.

NoahGrey
August 22nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
My cat also HATES the brush. I can brush her for about 2 minutes and then it's like ooooo...I had enough....bug off.

ACO22

jowilson002
August 22nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Attacking the brush...all of my cats did the same thing and it was a playful attack.
As they grew older they started to enjoy the brushing more.

Now most of the time they just lie there and enjoy the brushing.

They are only 10 months old though so occasionally they still want to play attack the brush...

They used to even stalk and attack it if I laid in down on the floor. But again, it was a playful attack.

Jennifer W.

I_love_mischa
August 22nd, 2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah he's playfully attacking it...like he thinks I'm playing with him. When ever I try to brush his back his head follows the brush and he swats at it playfully. It's still pretty new to him and I don't think he gets what I'm doing! :laughing: I've never heard him hiss since I've had him...and he doesn't get mad he just wants to play with it. I think it's because it makes a weird noise on his fur when it goes down. Are the soft brushes better then the bristled ones? I guess we'll both just have to get used to it!! :laughing:

Dracko
August 22nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
I have cats who love to get brushed and others who think it's a game. They have never changed their attitude and it seems it's one way or the other.

chico2
August 22nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
Rocky and Chico always play with the brush,but as soon as Vinnie sees the brush in my hand,he'll come running,ready for a massage-session,he absolutely loves it,good thing because he's the one shedding the most.
I could brush him for an hour and it would not be enough for him.:laughing:

Goldyy
August 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Chico my cat is the same way LOVES to be brushed, my dog on the other hand will tolerate it but usually isnt impressed :laughing: