Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feline in trouble?

nopc
August 22nd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Our cat went missing for about two weeks and has now returned. Over the last couple of days she has been wobbly and bumping into things and getting worse. Today she is having touble walking on her back legs they seem stiff and she doesnt even want to stand on them. She is eating and drinking fine and no vomitting or diareah. Any Idea's on what could be causing her to behave this way?

the earliest the vet will see her is a week out. (small town). I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas what it could be.

crazyk1020
August 22nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
I would take her to a vet asap!!! She could have been hit by a car or gotten into some poison that is affecting her neurologically.

crazyk1020
August 22nd, 2007, 01:13 PM
My parents had a ferrel cat some time back that had gotten hit, not hard, but hard enough to damage the spine. And it lost function of its back legs slowly. It deterioated over a weeks time. They eventually had to caputure it and euthanize it. I just say take her to a vet, because I would hate to see this happen. Otherwise I don't know what to say...that is just what it sounds like. And like I said it could also be a toxin that she could have gotten into that is affecting her brain. :sorry:

Love4himies
August 22nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
I think you should take this kitty to the vet ASAP, wouldn't wait for the local vet. Can you get into a city that is close by?

nopc
August 22nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
Update on Emily, Called the vet and he is going to finally fit her in at 4:30. I will let you know what he says. Thanks for you insite.

crazyk1020
August 22nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Hope all goes well, yes please let us know how it turns out.

krdahmer
August 22nd, 2007, 09:59 PM
:pray: she's ok...

nopc
August 23rd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Took her to the vet and he said she looks great. He said she has an ear infection and gave me drops to give to her.:thumbs up

badger
August 23rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
So it was an ear infection that made her stagger? or is that separate? I'm only asking because I had a cat who caught a middle ear infection, he literally couldn't stand up for more than a second, like a newborn calf, and actually stopped eating at one point. He recovered completely, still 'bumbles' a bit but that may just be Ebby.
Glad it's nothing more serious.

nopc
August 23rd, 2007, 03:59 PM
No, the vet seems to think all her trouble is from the ear infection. I just didnt think of that due to her eating and drinking fine. I just cant wait till she is recovered and starts to use the litter box again.

clm
August 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Poor little kitty. I hope the ear infection clear up soon. I'm glad that's all it was.

Cindy

Love4himies
August 24th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Happy to hear your kitty is going to be OK. Do you have any pictures you can share with us?

crazyk1020
August 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Glad to hear that it was just an ear infection and nothing worse. :D Hope she feels better soon :pray: