Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some information......

russte
August 22nd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Hi everyone, I hope you can help with my problem. My daughters dog has come to live with us indefinately and she gets along with our dogs very well, the problem is, she can't leave my house plants alone, she chews off leaves, digs in the dirt and eats it(which can't be good!) Is there any natural remedies that you can think of to either spray on the plants and dirt to detour her from eating the plants. I am at my wits end with her and my plants,:wall: :frustrated: and I do scold her when I do catch her in the act. Thank you, russte:pawprint:

jessi76
August 22nd, 2007, 12:31 PM
more info would be helpful... type of dog? age? training that's been done?

a few ideas...

train the dog to LEAVE IT.
get plants up off the floor and out of reach.
confine (crate; baby gate; x-pen) the dog while you cannot supervise.

russte
August 22nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
The dog is just about two years old and is a mixed breed and "very smart", she does all sorts of tricks but she wouldn't leave my daughters plants alone either.:rolleyes: russte

russte
August 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
:wall: The plants are very large and can't be lifted up off the floor and we have tried EVERYTHING from scolding and showing her her mess that she has left and saying "NO" NO", she does know better but can't resist! russte

jessi76
August 22nd, 2007, 01:01 PM
well, you haven't tried EVERYTHING if you haven't trained a "very smart dog" how to "leave it". it's quite simple really..... a basic rundown...

put dog on leash
get pocket full of treats (small cheese bits work well)
walk up to plant
when dog goes to plant, say LEAVE IT (in a firm serious tone - not angry, and not wimpy) and lure the dog away w/ the treat.

ETA: you can lead the dog away with the leash and/or use the treat for interest. if the dog ignores you and the treat, give a slight leash correction. just tug it to get the dog's attention back to you - don't jerk it hard to hurt the dog.

repeat process. OFTEN. MANY MANY times a day. do it 5-10x, take a break, go back to it later, etc...

scolding and yelling NO doesn't TEACH the animal anything. people make the mistake of using NO for everything... dog barks, NO! dog digs NO! dog jumps up NO! dog eats plant NO! etc...

use real commands to communicate: LEAVE IT, GIVE, OFF, DOWN, QUIET

NoahGrey
August 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Alot of plants are toxics to pets. I agree in hanging them up high, so the dog can't get to them.

ACO22

russte
August 22nd, 2007, 01:44 PM
Thank you...russte

growler~GateKeeper
August 22nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
Also gate off the plants when you are not home - there are more toxic plants than non toxic.

mummummum
August 22nd, 2007, 06:36 PM
"Leave it" is the best command I have ever learned ! :thumbs up

She may be bored stupid and the digging & eating part is fun. Perhaps upping her exercise with running, chasing a ball frisbee, swimming might help. Of course she may also have a vitamin deficiency. Maybe it's time to review what she is eating and see if you can do better.

coppperbelle
August 22nd, 2007, 08:49 PM
have you tried spraying "bitter apple" on the plants?

russte
August 22nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
I will try that and see if it works, the little bugger is smart she won't even look at the plants if we are in the room.:angel: lol Today my dogs told on her, they kept barking until I came to look what she was up to!:dog: :eek: russte

clm
August 23rd, 2007, 07:58 AM
I gave up on houseplants long ago, what the dogs didn't destroy, the cats did, now with the puppies won't even consider them :laughing:

Remotes are the chew toy of choice right now, so we keep them on top of the aquarium out of reach.

Bitter apple gets sprayed on the table and chair legs and the baseboards right now. It works. Should work on plants too. I would make sure that the plants aren't poisenous.....too many of the indoor types are very toxic.

Cindy

jessi76
August 23rd, 2007, 08:45 AM
bitter apple is not reliable as a detterant. in fact, my dog thought it was a condement, and made things even MORE appealing.... just don't assume that it's a magical spray that will stop chewing.

ETA: even if the plants aren't poisonous, the fertilizer in the soil may be. most indoor potting mixes I've seen have really harsh chemicals in them, (fertilizer/plant food).