Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oops

Mom2two
August 22nd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Hey all, it's been a while since my last post about Amii. Sorry.

Anyhow, here's the deal. When we first adopted her and took her to the vet, we were told to wait until she was AT LEAST 6 months old before having her spayed. So we made an appointment for the middle of September since she will be 7 months on August 24th and my son has that particular week off from work and I felt better knowing there was someone home with her 24/7 while she recuperates.

Well, low and behold, Saturday arrives and Amii goes into head and starts bleeding!

Is it too late to have her spayed now? :confused:

Love4himies
August 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
I believe you can get dogs spayed while they are in heat, I know with cats you can, but it is more risky and may have an extra charge due to the risk. Your vet will know what is best.

I am surprised your vet recommended to wait until she was 6 months old. Vets are spaying at much young ages now.

luckypenny
August 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
It's my understanding that most vets do not like to spay while dogs are in heat. However, if I'm not mistaken, the 'heat' cycle lasts on average 3 weeks so she may be alright to be spayed on schedule. Your vet should be able to give you more details.

Mom2two
August 22nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
Well, I just spoke with the vet. He said that in his opinion its better to wait until 3 weeks after Amii's cycle is over. Said this way everything has shrunk back into place. Spoke with my son and he said he'll change his week off so he can still be home with her. Soon as he tells me exactly when I'll make the new appointment.

Thank you all for your feedback. Its so comforting to know there's a place I can go with questions and concerns and not have people render a judgement on me. :angel:

luckypenny
August 22nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
Silly ;) , you followed the advice of your vet. You're not in control of your dog's cycles. It happens and you're taking care of it :thumbs up . Just make sure she doesn't come in contact with intact males.

clm
August 22nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
Some vets still won't spay until puppies or kittens are 6 months. I have no idea what the complications are if they do them earlier. I'm assuming just the small size and possible anesthetic issues would be more with a younger animal. Easier to control a dog in heat than a cat, :laughing: Female cats make a beeline for the door and they're off. Keep an eye on her if she's out in the yard by herself, any male dogs around will find her and some will jump over or dig under a fence to get to her.

Cindy

mummummum
August 22nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
Time to put on the "Chastity Belt" !!

coppperbelle
August 22nd, 2007, 07:22 PM
My vet recommended waiting two months after the heat finished to be sure everything was back to normal.
You get an A for effort by trying to have it done before she went into her first heat.

Mom2two
August 23rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Well because of another issue (not going into it cos its off topic here), Amii has never been permitted out on the deck without someone physically being present at all times. And believe me, she adores being outside just to relax and so does my mom. They make a great team.

We missed the last training class last night because there's a male boxer in class who hasn't been neutered yet. I also didn't think it was particularly sanitary to bring her there.

If everyone promises not to laugh, Saturday when I saw the blood, I panicked and called the emergency vet hospital thinking the worst. :laughing: Oh heck, go on laugh, the vet did.

luckypenny
August 23rd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Just because you said it was ok...................:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ;)

The same happened to me with my first kitty when I was much younger and had no idea what a 'heat' was :o .

clm
August 23rd, 2007, 11:22 AM
Well, since you said it was OK

:laughing: :laughing:

Jim Hall
August 23rd, 2007, 12:14 PM
aww i think i would panic too

I get laughed at a lot by vets My rule is go head and laugh
id rather be laughed at than have a sick animal.

clm
August 23rd, 2007, 12:19 PM
Oh, I think I would have done the exact same thing. No question, I've never had a female cat or dog in heat, so if I saw blood, I would panic. My vet would have laughed at me too. :laughing:

Cindy

krdahmer
August 23rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
:offtopic: Kinda...

Don't feel bad, my parents always watch our kitties when we go out of town. So one summer we went away to the beach and I get a message on my cell phone from my mom. In an extremely panicked voice...

"Kelly it's your mom, there is something wrong with Windy... her back legs, they look paralized and she is crying out in pain!!! What do we do? She seems to be slinking along the floor, rubbing her back end on the couch and she's making these horrible noises! Call me as soon as you can!":eek:

I had forgot to tell my mom that Windy was having her first heat!! :laughing: My mom is a city girl and never ever had pets, and Cordy was fixed long before her first heat so she had never seen anything like that (my dad, a farmer, explained to her after what it was). I felt bad for laughing so hard when I got the message and letting my friend who was with me listen to it too, but I couldn't help it, it was so cute! It is still to this day one of the MOST entertaining messages I have ever received! :laughing: