Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wal-Mart has pulled Dog Treats from shelves

clm
August 22nd, 2007, 07:55 AM
Found this on yahoo.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc has pulled two Chinese-made dog treats from its shelves after learning they had traces of melamine, a contaminant that is a byproduct of several pesticides that led to a massive pet-food recall in March, the Associated Press reported, citing a company spokeswoman.

The AP said Wal-Mart removed Chicken Jerky Strips from Import-Pingyang Pet Product Co and Chicken Jerky from Shanghai Bestro Trading last month after customers complained that the products had made their pets sick.

A spokeswoman said 17 sets of tests done on the products found melamine in "very small amounts," the report said.

Earlier this year, thousands of people flooded the U.S. Food and Drug Administration with complaints of animals falling ill or dying after consuming certain pet foods. The result was a recall of hundreds of brands of China-made pet food containing wheat gluten found to be tainted with melamine.

mumof4boys
August 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
I also saw this article today.
I have been buying the Chicken Strips from Costco for the dogs and checked to make sure they are OK because they say Made In China.
The brand is Chewmasters from Celebrity Pets. I wrote to them and they have assured me that their product is very safe.
The following is a partial quote from their letter to me:

We have a permit from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), who actually now visit the facility in China to review all the procedures employed. In addition, there is the Canadian equivalent of the CFIA, the AQSIQ, that is involved in reviewing the procedures and ensuring these products are safe for your pet. Furthermore the CIQ issues a vet / health certificate for every shipment of this product to ensure that all procedures are followed

wildthing
August 24th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I've been keeping up with the pet food recalls, you can find lots of information on my blog, Pet Food Recall-Keeping your dog safe (http://petfoodrecall-dogs.blogspot.com/) :thumbs up

rainbow
August 25th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I've been keeping up with the pet food recalls, you can find lots of information on my blog, Pet Food Recall-Keeping your dog safe (http://petfoodrecall-dogs.blogspot.com/) :thumbs up

Excellent site......thanks for sharing. :thumbs up

NoahGrey
August 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the site.

ACO22