Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Addison's disease??!!

khisington
August 21st, 2007, 08:22 PM
I recently wrote about my dog possibly having kidney disease, but it turns out he might have Addison's. It's pretty rare, but treatable (Thank goodness!)
Anyone that has an animal that has gone through this, if you have any advice it would be much appreciated. I am thankful that this is what he might have. I'm not glad that he is sick, I'm just glad that it is not kidney failure:D

mummummum
August 21st, 2007, 08:32 PM
What a relief that must be for you !! I remember another member recommending this support group:
http://www.addisondogs.com/

punkyamberlea
August 22nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
hi,
well sorry your little one has addisons. Something that helps are injections of percortion (made by novartis). You can also try some pills but i cant remember the name. Most people also need to give daily doses of salt. Good luck. Amber

khisington
August 22nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
I picked my dog up at the vet after yet another overnight stay. He received a steriod shot for his Addisons, but it's been 4 hours and he is still lethargic and he is drooling. I'm so confused!!!

daspudster1
January 23rd, 2009, 01:33 AM
We have 2 Shih Tzu's , bandit age 13 and mojo 12. Mo has for a few years has licked her legs and has bald legs . Vet put her on antibiotic for 2 weeks at times and is ok, but once off she goes right back to licking.
Back in Nov 08, she was doing this again and also has a history of UTI's about 4 a year. Well in Nov 08, she has become anorexic . She weighed 19 lbs back in Nov 08 and at the vets 3 weeks ago weighed 9 lbs. She has started to have accidents peeing in the house 4 or 5 times in last 3 months.
She drinks lots and lots of water and goes outside several times a day to urinate.
She has vomited a few times also .
She shakes/trembles that comes and goes, and is listless a lot and sleeps a lot.
On a good day her tail will be wagging and she will chase bandit the older shih tzu as they used to when they were young.
Mojo barely eats and some days she doesnt even eat her favorite treats, let alone any food. We have tried just about every food one can think of . LoL even cat food ...she walked away from it even.
Her body fat is almost gone, you can see her spine and hind quarter hip bones.
The Vet has run blood tests, thyroid and ultrasound images on her kidneys which are ok.
Both dogs are on vetprofen for arthritis at their ages.
I accidentally came across this Addisons disease and read about it and seems to fit Mojo's problems exactly.
Was wondering could this be her problem?
I am taking her to the vets again tomorrow for her 2nd shot of antibiotics for her UTI, she wont take pills anymore cause she doesnt eat, so the shot is the easist way to do it.
Will ask the Vet what he thinks about this Addison's disease , could she have it?
Anyone know anything about this disease?

hazelrunpack
January 23rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Welcome to the board, daspudster.

:sorry: I don't know enough about Addisons to give you an answer.

This is an old thread, though, and a lot of members might not look at it. So you might want to start a new thread in the health forum. :thumbs up

Good luck with Mojo! :goodvibes: I hope you get some answers soon.

kiara
January 23rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
I am sorry your dog may have Addison's disease. I know a human who has it and she has to take hormones every day, to keep her alive. It is a treatable disease. Good luck with your dog and let us know how he is doing.

daspudster1
January 23rd, 2009, 04:58 PM
Well at 4 am this morning we lost our beloved older shih tzu from side affects of a brain tumor. Her airway started to swell and she was having trouble breathing and her legs just wouldnt hold her up any longer.
I held her in my arms while the Vet put her to a gentle peaceful sleep.
Shes not in pain or suffering anymore and I thank GOD for the 13 years we had with her.
Our other shih tzu is roaming the house and yard looking for her. This is Mojo the one who might have Addisons disease. We came home from drs appt and Mojo jumped off couch (which she hasnt done in a few weeks and started to eat a hot chicken pot pie ) and slurped up almost a bowl of water lol :thumbs up
Maybe shes on the right track with the new vitamins and antibiotics the vet give us today for her :thumbs up
Thanks again all just even a place to post and say whats in our hearts help.
We dont own pets, they own us and our hearts...
thanks

t.pettet
January 23rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
My condolences on your loss.

Gail P
January 24th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Very sorry for your loss. Re the Addison's, we had a great dane with it. She became lethargic and one night developed very watery bloody diarrhea. Took her to the vet and they diagnosed Addison's. She crashed in a big hurry, we almost lost her. They kept her in intensive care for 3 days and when she came home it looked like the flesh had just melted off of her, she was all bones and her face looked shrunken and boney. They said that if she had been a smaller dog she probably wouldn't have made it. She was put on daily meds to control the Addison's (fludrocortisone and prednisone) and she did pretty well after that. We had the option of needles or pills. At first it was sounding pretty costly, and because of her size and the one medication coming in .1mg pills she would have needed 10 per day. My vet checked around and found somewhere to get 1mg pills that were quite inexpensive in comparison. If you think this may be what your dog has, here's an interesting blog entry you may like to read. It's about diagnosing addison's and is written by a vet in Alaska http://vetontheedge.blogspot.com/2008/10/great-pretender.html