Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

uh, errr, oh, huh??

jbsmomto1
August 21st, 2007, 03:17 PM
I just got back from picking Laddie up from his neuter. It went well and is all done and chipped.

When Quincy was done I don;t remember there being a scrotum left, I know for certain there is not now.

Laddie seems to still have his scrotum, is this normal, will it go away? right now its looks kinda like a wrinkly old prune and kinda bad.

SableCollie
August 21st, 2007, 03:35 PM
That's normal. :) It should shrink over time. It used to be that vets would just remove the whole scrotum, but now what they generally do, is make a small incision in the scrotum, remove the testes, and glue the incision back up with surgical glue. There is less blood that way, and a smaller incision, and they can use glue instead of sutures. Don't worry, it confused us too when our vet started doing it that way! as long as there is no major redness or prolonged swelling or any discharge, it should be fine.

mummummum
August 21st, 2007, 03:38 PM
An edumecation for me ! Slight hijack here: SableCollie when a pet owner requests neuticals do they do it during the neuter or do they have to wait for the internal healing to have taken place ?

coppperbelle
August 21st, 2007, 08:19 PM
don't be alarmed if they look black in a few days.

SableCollie
August 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM
An edumecation for me ! Slight hijack here: SableCollie when a pet owner requests neuticals do they do it during the neuter or do they have to wait for the internal healing to have taken place ?

Either way! Usually done at time of neuter. From their website: "Neuticles should be implanted when the pet is neutered- but can be implanted years afterwards in most cases."

jbsmomto1
August 21st, 2007, 08:30 PM
Either way! Usually done at time of neuter. From their website: "Neuticles should be implanted when the pet is neutered- but can be implanted years afterwards in most cases."

whats a neutical?

ETA: googled it and WOW who would have thunk it. They make implants for dogs lol.
I personally think dogs look better without testicles, so would a man imo also lol, It also can deter a thief (in my area anyway as dogs are often stolen for breeding)

Tommysmom
August 21st, 2007, 08:43 PM
LOL, I said the same thing after my pup was done, too. It's been years and years since I had a male dog, and boy did I feel like some kinda weirdo staring at my boy's empty bits hanging there:laughing: . It's almost 7 months later now though and they're gone - although the long hair he had there is still there and looks kinda funny:laughing: . I didn't know that they didn't take it all away anymore, either, until I saw it!