Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please Help: My dog is tearing up my carpet

bryandf
August 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM
Hi,

Well, here's the problem I'm recently having with my dog Lucy: recently within the last week she has began pulling up the carpet in my living room of my apartment and eating it. I noticed her licking the carpet in my bedroom at night a few weeks before she started chewing it up. She still does lick the carpet, and even the brick on the fireplace in addition to chewing up carpet.

Putting her outside when I'm not around is not an option for me because I live in an apartment, and I could put her out on the balcony, but I live in Texas, and the summer heat here just won't allow that. I've never had a problem like this with her in all 3 years that I've had her, so I"m thinking it might be something medically wrong with her, however, I really don't have the money to spend on the insane prices vets charge for pet care in my area.

I've considering crating her but she's always been well behaved and I have never had any reason to do it, so if i do it now she will probably not respond very well to it.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Btw, is there anything I can do for the carpet other than have it replaced?

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

mummummum
August 21st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Has anything major happened in your life ? A change in schedule ? A move? A new love interest? Someone move in or out ? Anything you can think of that has happened which is causing her anxiety ? The other possibility is that she has developed pica? Have you changed her food recently ?

bryandf
August 21st, 2007, 04:31 PM
Hm, I recently did change her food because she was refusing to eat the food I had her on previously for several months. She went through most of it fine, but within the past week hasn't been eating much at all. I've never heard of Pica, but I'll look that up, is it something that she will need a vet for? I don't mind coughing up the money if I'm relatively sure it is indeed a medical condition that she needs treatment for.

mummummum
August 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
Pica http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_(disorder)

I'll bet it's the food. When I switched one of my dogs from one food to another she started eating dirt and poop. What are you feed her if you don't mind me asking ? There is also the possibility that she is B.O.R.E.D. and you may ned to look at providing her with somestimultaing things to do while you're not at home (some people stuff kongs with frozen yoghurt or peanut butter and freeze it).

bryandf
August 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM
For a few month she was on something called Priority from the local Tom Thumb store, she got to where she didn't like that and quit eating it altogether, then I switched her to Purina. She ate most of the bag but the last few days she doesn't eat at all which is really not typical at all for this dog. I did some research and went to Petsmart and got her something called Nutro Chicken and Rice which she wolfs down, so far anyways.

I'll look into the kong peanutbutter thing, she really doesn't have much to do in the daytime while I'm working, but that's never been a problem before. Otherwise, she has a few tennis balls laying around that I toss for her while watching TV.

mummummum
August 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM
This is an exxcellent site if you want to understand kibble and figure out the best brand for your dog. You can get much better quality products than Nutro in my opinion.
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

You might also want to up her exercise ~ a tired dog is a happy dog. More off-leash chasing, swimming, hiking time is a thought as well.

bryandf
August 21st, 2007, 10:07 PM
thanks for the advice, i'll give it a shot

bryandf
August 24th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Well, I took Lucy to the vet yesterday afternoon, and on the positive side she was not diagnosed with any worms at all. However, the vet really didn't give any real explanation for the insane amount of diahrrea. He said it was "bacteria" and gave me some pills for her to take twice daily. Some type of steroid called Metronidazole 500mg. He mentioned that it was probably colitis, is that just a medical term for diaharrea? (Spellchecker won't fix it, and I don't know how to spell it heh.)

I was a little bit curious about the vet not minding the fact that my dog bleeds anally now from constantly having to go to the bathroom. I can't let her in the house because if she sits down she will get bloodstains on the carpet. She is also refusing to eat her dog food completely, and in order for her to swallow her pills I have to hide it in a slice of lunchmeat. I typically do not feed her human food because I've seen my parents spoil several pets this way, but I know I have to stop feeding her the lunchmeat and some point and I don't want her getting hooked on it.

Has anyone had a pet that had this kind of severe diahharea problem before? What can I do to make things easier on her and get her eating again?

Btw, she doesn't seem to have the diahharea anymore, but I can tell she's having a hard time going to the bathroom at all now. Her stomach and hindquarters churn and tremble when she tries to do it.

Mypetsrmykids
August 24th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Colitis is a very uncomfortable and at times painful. It's a serious condition that needs to be treated medically. That explains alot about how she has been feeling. Here is a definition:
Definition:

inflammation of colon: inflammation of the colon, characterized by lower-bowel spasms and upper abdominal cramps

The heavy blood and liquid stools is a strong indication of this medical problem. My dogs have had it and have gotten to the point where blood just squirted out. She got that way in only a day. The blood is not from straining, it's from this serious problem. I've actually seen it happen with my dogs if I changed their diets too drastically. I'm so glad you got your dog to a vet. Be patient, she is very very uncomfortable right now. She can't help what she is going through and it has nothing to do with behavior. Good luck, I hope she heals quickly!

bryandf
August 24th, 2007, 05:46 PM
In your past experience, how long did it take for your animals to heal?

I'm not sure what to do about her food situation... I just started her on Nutro recently because she abruptly refused to eat the food I had been buying her for months. Should I just keep with the Nutro until she accepts it?

Mypetsrmykids
August 24th, 2007, 06:20 PM
It could take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks. Make sure you give all of the medication as prescribed even if it looks like she's fine. Stopping medication too early can cause secondary infections. As far as the food goes, my vet usually recommends rice and chicken because it's so gentle on the stomach and intestines and I've found that it seems to work well. I am not sure what to say in your case, the best advice I could give is to call the vet and ask them what you should do right now. They should be more than happy to give you advice since you have already been there with your pet. They will usually ask the vet if they are not sure. I always call my vet when I have questions that I forgot to ask when I was there. I hope this helps.

Mypetsrmykids
August 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM
By the way, do what you have to do to get her pill down her. It is very important that she takes it. I have found that cream cheese is just amazing at getting pills down my pets also.

bryandf
August 24th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I called the vet to ask about all this stuff, and she'd just left for the weekend, so I guess I'm out of luck until Monday. The food I just started her on is Nutro Chicken and Rice, but I haven't ruled out that that is what made her sick in the first place. I'm trying to give her nothing but Nutro to see what happens if she eats it again, so I can know for sure whether to switch to something else.

Mypetsrmykids
August 24th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I have another suggestion....you could also try the animal emergency center in your area. You could explain your situation and they may be able to give you advice about food. I don't know why she isn't eating, how long has it been since she ate last, not counting the little bit of meat with her pill? The reason she can't have a bowel movement is probably because she hasn't eaten. Since your vet said that it's probably colitis, watch her closely just incase there's another medical problem involved that your vet hasn't discovered yet.
Is there any way you can bring her inside and set a bed up for her in the bathroom? I know you said you are afraid to let her inside because of the carpeting but you'd be getting her out of the heat if she could rest on a dog bed or pillow in the bathroom where there is no carpeting. You could set up some type of barrier such as a child gate or something else that would keep her from getting through and you could keep a closer eye on her.

bryandf
August 24th, 2007, 11:10 PM
She had a little bit of her food earlier, while i was eating dinner, and is drinking water periodically. I thought about buying a child gate for her, but she can jump really high and far, I'm not sure it would hold her in. I've read that whipworms aren't likely to be detected in her fecal sample, and that is a cause for concern for me, but the vet seemed pretty confident that it was bacterial infection only.

A relative recommended Iams food, said it's high fiber, low fat, easy to digest, but again, I hate to keep changing her food. If she doesn't eat the Nutro tomorrow, I suppose I'll give it a shot though.

Shaykeija
August 24th, 2007, 11:52 PM
HRH Missie the Poo suffers from colitis. Nasty scary stuff for me. She poops blood and get a high fever. I use Neosol on her for the cramping and poops. Followed by antibiotics. I give her white rice and boiled chicken to help her tummy. I usually run a five day round of the antibiotics. Do not force her to eat as if she has colitis her tummy and colon are having spasms and she hurts. Do not administer any type of aspirin as it is a blood thinner and could cause your dog to bleed more. Ask your vet about a pain killer for her, if she seems to be really uncomfortable. Good luck and keep us posted.... if your dog seems constipated you can always feed her pure pumpkin not the pie mix. It work on soupy poop and constipation. HRH Missie and Tyra get it in every meal.

badger
August 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't go to another kibble right now. Whatever the value of Nutro, she is probably just not feeling well and disinclined to eat. The medication may also be affecting her appetite, it is a well known side-effect. Rather than giving her dry kibble, which might irritate her digestive system when she is in this acute phase, I would go out tomorrow and buy some cheap chicken, add a cup or two of white rice and simmer together until the meat is falling off the bone and the rice is extremely soft. Cool. You could put it in the fridge until the fat has risen and partially solidified so it can be skimmed off. Remove ALL bones.
You could also use lean beef.
This is soft, invalid food which will be easy on her stomach.
Even if she is sick, she must eat (and drink).
The blood thing is scary - it happened to one of my cats - but try not to freak out too much. This too shall pass.
From the little I have gleaned from your posts, I'm guessing this dog doesn't get enough exercise. When she is better, try for at least one long walk a day, this will definitely help her overall health (and yours :)).

PS Oops, trumped by Shaykeija, but she's a dog person so I feel better.