Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help!

echo1002
August 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM
My father just found two newborn kittens, and he is assuming that they were born last night. He believes that the mama cat has ditched them. Is there anything that we can do for these two kittens? Can we feed them via a kitten bottle, or is there no hope for these kittens w/o their mom? :shrug:

Thank you in advance.

ancientgirl
August 21st, 2007, 03:20 PM
I know there's special newborn kitten milk and bottles at the pet store. You might also want to call a vet or rescue and ask them for some help and advice.

I don't have much experience with newborn kittens, but at the very least I think some formula from the pet store to get started is something that at least will help them from starving.

Whatever you do don't give them regular milk.

mummummum
August 21st, 2007, 04:08 PM
Here's what I have learned from others on this forum: Make sure you put a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel in their box with them and you will need to wash down their genitals and anus to stimulate them to urinate. The best bet is as ancient girl has suggested, to call a cat rescue and ask for the best kind of formula to buy and how much to feed.

krdahmer
August 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM
You can probably hand rear them, I used the KMR liquid formula for kittens. I would take them to a vet first though to make sure they are ok, mother cats usually only reject or abandon their sick kittens. Best of luck to you and the kittens!:pray:

badger
August 21st, 2007, 04:30 PM
How does he know the mother ditched them? Cats don't leave their newborns for no reason. Maybe she left to find food. If it is close by, I would keep an eye out for that mother, she will surely be looking for them :cry: and may need rescuing herself.

sugarcatmom
August 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM
In the meantime, please read this PDF about hand-rearing orphan kittens: http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/kitten.pdf