Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat losing hair on tail

tanner
August 21st, 2007, 03:06 PM
Hi there. This is my first time chatting with you folks. I have a question about my cat. He's about 2 years old and is an indoor cat. We moved 3 weeks ago from a house into an apartment on the 10th floor and since moving I've noticed that he's losing the hair on his tail at the base where it attaches to his body (not on the tip). Other than the move nothing has changed, his food and litter remain the same. Is this hair loss possibly due to the stress of the move or could it be nutritional? Thanks for any suggestions.

badger
August 21st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Hard to say. Could easily be stress; does he seem unhappy? The base of the tail is also a prime area for fleas and flea allergies.
If you are feeding him the same food, I doubt if it is that, but you could try adding a little salmon oil to his food, apparently it improves their coat.
But it might also be a good idea to have him checked over by a vet since skin problems can be a symptom of other things.

krdahmer
August 21st, 2007, 04:28 PM
Definitely check for fleas... my cat does that due to a flea allergy and with a recent move the previous tenants may have left some behind.:yuck:

crazyk1020
August 21st, 2007, 04:50 PM
I would check for fleas as mentioned. I did have a cat when who when stressed would actually over groom himself/pull hair out of back right by the base of his tail. He had absolutely no hair in that spot. It would start to get a little fuzz and then he would be back at it. Just my experience...cats can be finicky little buggers. I would definately watch it and it anything else crops up definetly take a trip to the vet.

tanner
August 21st, 2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys. I did think about the flea thing and actually thought about bringing home some brewer's yeast (did you know this is good for preventing fleas in both dogs and cats?) but I didn't...I guess I should have followed my instincts. I'll get him on that and watch it closely. If there's no improvement then I'll take him to the vet.