Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Soft stool / strange color stool

mika140
August 21st, 2007, 01:09 PM
My 2 yr old German Shepherd dog has had loose stool since I got him (approx. 6 months ago). I've changed food several times. We started a 3 month training program shortly after I got him that was very stressful, and probably didn't help the stool issue. Upon recommendation, I tried Purina Pro Plan Performance. The stool got harder, but was VERY green in color. The color worried me, as it never changed,even after the training program and heightened stress was over. It also never got very consistent (stool would be harder for a while, then softer, then diarrhea). After that I went to science diet, which didn't help. So I decided to try a food with better ingredients. I recently (3 weeks ago) changed to Canidae chicken & rice. The stool got better, but is still soft and never consistent for more than a couple days. I'm working with the vet now to figure out what the problem is (possibly a food allergy? - they've all had ckicken in common). But I still wonder about the color of the stool from pro plan. Any ideas? Why would it be so green? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thnx

mummummum
August 21st, 2007, 04:36 PM
I think you could do better with a higher quality food though canidae isn't bad it isn't the best imho. This is an interesting site for you to learn about dog kibble
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

We're feeding Orijen 6 fish and loving it ! http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/orijen/

It may be a protein issue but it could just as easily be a grains issue if it's a food allergy/ sensitivity. When you change dog foods a transition period is a good idea where you slowly introduce a new food (unless of course your dog is allergic, then an immediate switch is advisable). When you are trying to determine whether a new food is "the one", it's a good idea to allow an adjustment period of at least 6-8 weeks if not longer. This allows your dog to detoxify from the old foods and any allergic or food sensitivity issues he may have developed.

want4rain
August 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM
*shrugs* i know its not any help but purple(like Froot Loops cereal) or blue things (blue berries) can make people poop green. borax can make it bright blue and i think liver issues can cause it to turn yellowish. :)

ew huh?

-ashley

breeze
August 21st, 2007, 07:10 PM
when Bree was on Orijen (high protien) her poop was a greenish color, our vet thinks is cause of the high protien she could not digest :shrug: she is now on timberwolf and is doing great (lower protien.)

mika140
August 21st, 2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm still very new to the food issue, so anything is helpful. I think I'll try switching to a grain-free food with a different protein source and see if that makes a difference.

Longblades
August 22nd, 2007, 09:57 AM
I don't remember my sister's BC ever having greenish poop but he did have digestive issues for years, with soft stool, diarrhoea etc. A new temporary Vet suggested Hill's Prescription WD and he is a changed dog. For the better. He did not have a weight problem so now has to consume more food and it is not cheap but it seems a very high fibre diet is what he needs. Maybe you could ask your Vet about it?