Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shadow Is Sick.

want4rain
August 21st, 2007, 11:59 AM
ive been avoiding this for a few days. Shadow hasnt eaten since last friday. i tried cooking his food, fish, peanut butter, organ meat, the freshest raw chicken, bones, no bones, Wellness Wet, Merrick Wet, crickets, HILLS SCIENCE DIET!!

i hunted down a rather progressive vet in our area (boy if that wasnt an adventure!!) and took Shadow in. she actually feeds her own pets a raw meaty bones diet too! she poked, prodded, listened... took a blood panel to see how his calcium/phos, liver, pancreas, electrolites.... she said he looked a little dehydrated (expected) but otherwise ok. our next step is to try an appetite stimulant. if that doesnt work by tomorrow afternoon i will take him in for x-rays to see if he ate somethign (highly unlikely due to his personality) and after that, run more blood work.

ill keep ya posted. as of right now he has eaten less than a handful of the Eagle brand (i think thats what its called anyway) holistic. i have him locked in the bedroom wirh a pristine litter box, some dry food and soem raw food and some fresh water. lets see if somethign doesnt happen between now and when Jeffrey wakes up and i can go get some of the appetite stimulant.

-ashley

Jim Hall
August 21st, 2007, 12:03 PM
well best wishes for shadow what kind of stimulant ?
my vet gave my cyprohaptadin and it worked great

Dog Dancer
August 21st, 2007, 12:28 PM
Good luck to you with Shadow. I hope it all works out and Shadow mends up soon. Eat you silly cat!

want4rain
August 21st, 2007, 12:59 PM
im not sure JimHall, ill go to the vet after Jeffrey wakes up from his nap.

Dog Dancer- i told him the same thing, laid in there with him for a bit while he nibbled. then i started singing to him and he went and hid under the bed. LOL i wont make that mistake again!!

im going to go take a bath with the litter box thats taken up resident in our bathroom next to the bathtub. :)

-ashley

sugarcatmom
August 21st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Is it possible that Shadow is constipated? Sometimes raw, especially with lots of bones, can cause constipation. Have you tried feeding plain meat (especially chicken) baby food?

Cyproheptadine (aka Periactin, a human anti-histamine) is commonly used as an appetite stimulant in cats. It usually works within half an hour of giving it, although sometimes it takes until the second dose 12 hrs later to fully kick in. Hopefully something will work soon. Inappetitance in cats is not fun!

krdahmer
August 21st, 2007, 04:26 PM
:pray: That shadow starts eating soon!

mummummum
August 21st, 2007, 05:02 PM
I hate to ask the obvious but did the Vet check her teeth, mouth and throat ?

want4rain
August 21st, 2007, 06:38 PM
its scary. liver issues ensue when cats dont eat. he is acting fine other than not eating. same affectionate self, purring and nuzzling. he is a little less active but if he were eating i would have ne9+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1 0 3+ +3*60112-..2----23333333..-*63333......-----3

thats what Jeffrey said. i thought i would leave it. :)

so we went back to the vet today. my vet got Shadows lab work and gave me a call. he was a little concerned NOTHING showed up on his lab work after not eating for a few days. we went in expecting to have to get an xray taken but he decided to go with a laxative instead. if he hasnt poo'ed by tomorrow lunch time he will go in for an aenima (sp??).

should i see abotu doing an xray before the aenima? he has poo in his colon to the pelvic area but the Doc couldnt check past that. it just seems like a bunch of poo would have made it out by now right? our Doc thought he sure was peppy for a 'sick' cat. im convinced he has a stash of food somewhere that he isnt telling us about. LOL!!

hopefully he will poo tonight and eat tomorrow.
wish us luck!!

-ashley

want4rain
August 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM
oh, he said his mouth looked fantastic!! his teeth were bright and shiny! his mouth was nice looking.

i think if he poos but still isnt eating and all comes out well we will try an appetite stimulant. i went to the vet today expecting the worse, almost in tears before he came in the room... to find out that he gets a laxative instead. :) i feel kind of silly now. we arent out of the woods by any means but i feel better after talking to our regular vet. :)

-ashley

Jim Hall
August 21st, 2007, 07:33 PM
WELL !!! It looks like you got hit with a jewish mama wave

I try to rememger that cats are damn strong amazing creatures and when they are really sick you know it

I had a cat like that once wouldnt eat for a day and a half then would eat and poop likw crazy the vet finally threw up his hands and said i dunno
but he sure is healthy.

want4rain
August 21st, 2007, 10:44 PM
*rolls eyes* no kidding Jim!! the little turd is in the bedroom (where he is quarantined... poo patrol you know) rolling around and purring like 'ma, im fine, just a little stopped up, i plan on going 15 minutes after you fall asleep.... so you can hear me and feel better.'

he is frisking while im wringing my hands in near panic.

-ashley

chico2
August 22nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
:pray: Pretty Shadow is ok this morning:pray:
Did the vet also take a urine-sample,could he possibly have UTI or crystals??

want4rain
August 22nd, 2007, 12:25 PM
no urine sample but he has peed fine, just no poop. he feels quite stopped up.

i have a few questions of anyone wants to wager an opinion-

we have run blood test ruling out the most obvious stuff. his blood work came back fantastic. he is eating very little and not pooping at all. we gave him a laxative yesterday afternoon and a dose again last night. doc says he can feel poo all through his intestinal tract but can not feel if there is a blockage at the end in his pelvic area.

we will take him back in to the vets in a few hours if he hasnt pooped by then. the vet wants to do an aenema before an xray.

what are your thoughts on this? since we have him on a raw diet, there IS the possibility of a bigger bone getting stuck soemwhere in there. its unusual but possible. should we get the xray before the aenema?? i will talk to our vet about this for sure but was wondering what others would do in this situation.

-ashley

want4rain
August 22nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
:pray: Pretty Shadow is ok this morning:pray:
Did the vet also take a urine-sample,could he possibly have UTI or crystals??

also, would crystals make him not poop or eat? they didnt even really bring that up when we visited either time this week.

-ashley

chico2
August 22nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
W4R,many ,many years ago,I had a Maine Coon cat,when he had crystals he did not poop or pee,I guess there was too mch pain,but your Shadow is peeing ok,so I don't know..
Maybe an enema would dislodge anything that could possibly be stuck,but an X-ray is probably the best way to go...good luck to pretty Shadow:pray:

want4rain
August 22nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
thanks Chico, we took him in today for the aenema and a urinalasis or how ever you spell those. the aenema pulled out several hard poops which seemed to be the problem. since i have them on a raw diet that means (i assume) that their diet is high in calcium. i ahve a few ideas on how to lower it. for now im going to add a bit of pumpkin puree to their food.

anyone know dosing for pumpkin and cats or shoudl i start another thread??

so he is feeling a little... uh.... cleaned out. (HAHAHA im bad!!) but he is home and purry and just loving up on his girl. :)

this was a valuable but expensive lesson to learn. *sigh*

-ashley

krdahmer
August 22nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
I have no clue on the pumpkin, but glad to hear he's feeling 'relieved'! :laughing:

chico2
August 23rd, 2007, 08:44 AM
Me too,know nothing about pumpkin,but he must feel sooo good now,hopefully pooping will not be a problem again:pray:

want4rain
August 23rd, 2007, 11:27 AM
Dr Mac got back to me this morning with his urinalasis... or how ever you spell that. he has crystals. ( i cant remember which ones )

he says a low magnesium diet helps with the first kind but not so much with the second kind. to have a lower pH urine helps with the second kind. i guess ill be hunting the forums later tonight to find out how we can continue raw but prevent crystals.

thanks for the concern and support guys!! i really appreciate it and so does Shadow!!

-ashley

crazyk1020
August 23rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Glad to here he is feeling better...it can't be fun to be all "stopped" up like that. :D

chico2
August 23rd, 2007, 04:36 PM
Well,that's great,not that he has crystals,but that you now know what you are dealing with.:thumbs up

sugarcatmom
August 23rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Dr Mac got back to me this morning with his urinalasis... or how ever you spell that. he has crystals. ( i cant remember which ones )

he says a low magnesium diet helps with the first kind but not so much with the second kind. to have a lower pH urine helps with the second kind. i guess ill be hunting the forums later tonight to find out how we can continue raw but prevent crystals.

thanks for the concern and support guys!! i really appreciate it and so does Shadow!!

-ashley

I wouldn't freak out about the crystals just yet. Here's an excerpt from this website (http://www.catinfo.org/#Common_Feline_Health_Problems_and_Their_Ties_to_D iet_) about them:

It is important to note, however, that "crystals" are not the same thing as stones. Crystals are often a normal finding in a cat's urine and it is not necessarily appropriate to put the cat on a "special urinary tract" formula when these are found in the urine.

Important: I often see too much clinical significance placed on the identification of crystals in the urine without regard to how the urine sample was handled. It is very important to understand that crystals will often form once outside of the body within a very short (one hour) period of time. If the veterinarian does not examine the urine right away and either sends it to an outside laboratory or uses a free-catch sample that the owner brought from home, an erroneous diagnosis of crystals may be made. This is called a "false positive" report and results in unnecessary worry on the part of the owner and often leads to the cat being placed on an inappropriate diet.

want4rain
August 23rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
thanks loads Sugarcatmom, ive had my thoughts on his crystals... i think it was my fault. feeding raw ive always been concerned on how much calcium they get. through the course of things i think i ended up giving them too much, which constipated Shadow which then in turn put him on a hunger strike. he wasnt eating or drinking and since dehydration is a very common cause of crystals, well... 4 days of not eating and being use to EATING his moisture... he wasnt drinking anythign either.

im a dork, and i strongly suspect it was my fault he ended up constipated and thus with crystals. i want to give it a week or two and take him in for another urinalysis. i will probably give Dr Mac a call tomorrow and ask him how soon we can expect a change in Shadows diet to ahve an effect on his crystals.

BTW he took a sample straight from the bladder. i dont know if he sent out the sample or did it right there. i guess i could ask. :)

anyone else out there doing the raw thing, does calcium have to be a meal to meal ratio or can it be on a weekly?? say if i gave calcium in abundance 2x weekly?? and then feed soemthign like chicken breast the other days?? less calcium in the breast??

you know, the thing that got me is the little turd didnt even ACT sick LOL!! he acted like he couldnt understand what all the fuss was about. :) he is upstairs sleeping with is girl right now. i tell you, we have always been on top of teaching our children the right way to treat animals.... Cailyn though, 'cuddles' with Shadow like she thinks i cuddle with Hunter... i know it has to be uncomfortable for the poor guy but what can i do? i tell Cailyn to put him down and she does... but he comes back and head butts her like he wants more!! lol i tell her that he doesnt like it, even if he acts like he does??? i say if he didnt want cuddles from his girl, he would run away right? instead of ask for more. :rolleyes:

-ashley