Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat laying in litter box

Court
August 20th, 2007, 09:45 PM
We moved to a new home several days ago, and my male cat started laying in his litter box. Is this just due to anxiety from moving, or could he have a medical problem? What should we do?

badger
August 20th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Is he peeing more than usual, or trying to, or just lying around? If this is unusual behaviour for him, he could be stressed by the move (you didn't say how recent), afraid of something in his new environment (including things he sees from the window) or there could be something more going on, such as a urinary infection.
Kittens occasionally will hang out in the litterbox but it is far less common in adults.
If you're worried (mother's intuition) and he hasn't had a check-up for awhile, a visit to the vet might be a good idea.

mummummum
August 21st, 2007, 04:16 AM
:fingerscr :goodvibes: Hopefully he is just stressed and sees his litter box as a "constant" in his new environment. Have you unpacked his toys, bed/ blanky etc yet ? That might help. But I agree with Badger, if he showing any other signs of phsyical distress I would be heading off to the Vet. If it is stress,you may find Bach's Flowers Rescue Remedy to be of help. Let us know how you make out.