Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Royal Canin Urinary SO help needed

cinnabon
August 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I posted below about my dog Zoe having urine crystals, and about the food,
and am hoping some others than just Gypsy Girl would be able to help me [ty GG!]

Zoe wouldn't eat the Hills PD, so I switched her to RC URinary, and the first couple of days she ate it no problem. Now.... not a chance! I am giving her abit of natural yogurt a couple of hrs after her AntiB's for the good bacteria.

I've tried moistening it and no go. She just threw up because her tummy is so empty! I feel so bad!

Can't they make a perscription food that tastes good? Is that such a foreign concept?:wall:

Anyone have any ideas on how to get Zoe to eat this stuff?:shrug: :fingerscr

Bon:ca:

cinnabon
August 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM
Please, you must have some kind of ideas to offer!?
:fingerscr

dtbmnec
August 21st, 2007, 05:23 PM
I'm sorry I haven't a clue what to say :(

Have you talked to your vet? Maybe s/he'll know? I shouldn't think that talking to the vet over the phone would cost you money...

Megan

SnowDancer
August 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM
Many years ago my mini Dachshund - we are talking the gourmet of gourmands here, had to eat Hill's C/D for crystals/stones for 6 months. The stuff looked like white lard. Dachshunds love their food - he didn't care for this, but he absolutely had to eat it - and eat it he did. He did have surgery to remove 4 fully formed stones but as he continued to eat the C/D no further crystals formed for which I (we) were extremely grateful. My Dachshund was seriously Alpha, but he knew he wasn't going to win that food "discussion" was ate it. I hope not to have to go through the same thing with my Eskimo - another food lover. Eskies are prone to stones so I am very careful with his diet, but since I get stones myself, there is only so much you can do. But so far so good with him. Certainly speak with your vet and while I know how hard it is when the pup looks at you with hungry eyes, you have to do what you have to do. I was just so grateful that my guy did not develop further crystals or it would have been C/D for life. Be very careful with any supplements you might give - I know someone who gave herself - and her dog - stones by mega doses of Vitamin C.

Stacer
August 21st, 2007, 09:15 PM
Other brands make urinary health formulas. They're not prescription though, so your vet may have a problem with you switching to another brand. When my cat had a urinary infection, he was intially on the Hill's c/d or s/d, I can't remember, he loved it, but it was crap food. So I looked at the analysis and ingredients and found a healthier food with a very similar breakdown of minerals. Mind you it took some time, and searching every brand, but it payed off. I finished the bag the vet gave me (he wanted me to keep my cat on it for 6 months-yeah right!) and started him on the new stuff and he hasn't had a problem since (knock on wood). If you've got the time and inclination you can do a detailed comparison of all the top brands and find one that is similar to the prescription one.