Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peanut's fur dandruff

jiorji
August 20th, 2007, 01:39 PM
my first post in the health section...here we go...

So my lovely Peanut's fur is baffling me. She doesn't like getting brushed so i don't. I stick it up with the shedding and since she has no hair ball barfing issues I assume that's ok. BUT....around her back...near the tail, on her back, her fur's really dandruffy and feels somewhat oily and icky. It also get natty and i've had to cut off several cat fur dreadlocks off.

Is this dandruff cos of food or cos I don't brushe her properly? :confused:

jiorji
August 20th, 2007, 01:54 PM
forgot to mention that Peanut's short hair...not long:o ......so i don't get why she'd get dreadlocky fur on her bum:confused:

krdahmer
August 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure about the dreadlock part but I do know that short haired cats are much more dander-y.( the dandruff looking stuff). My Buddy a tuxedo cat, is always covered in dander, I don't brush him as he won't allow it, and I guess some days are worse than others. I think environment plays a part as well as diet, I think maybe salmon oil is supposed to help, but with you saying it feels oily I'm really not sure what that would be from....:shrug:

Have you asked a vet about it at all? Maybe there is an underlying skin issue?

sugarcatmom
August 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Is this dandruff cos of food or cos I don't brushe her properly? :confused:

What does she eat? Is she overweight at all, and maybe unable to reach everywhere while grooming herself?

jiorji
August 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM
yeah she's a bit chubby but she does groom herself still.

I don;t know if it's an oily feeling or not...it just feels different from other parts on her body.

she gets Natural Choice food.

I haven't been to the vet yet. But her yearly check up is coming up anyways so I will ask then.:thumbs up

rainbow
August 20th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I would switch her to a grain free food. Orijen (http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/cat.aspx) would be my first choice. There's also EVO (http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500) and Wellness Core (http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/wellness/cat_wellness_dry_core.html)

jiorji
August 20th, 2007, 02:49 PM
my poor lil chubby baby :sad: I'll try switching her to one of those Rainbow. Although I HIGHLY doubt she'd complain. Food is food:rolleyes:

Twiggy's fur is great though. I hope new food will eliminate dandruff. Maybe it's just an allergic reaction, but i'll ask the vet too.

rainbow
August 20th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Don't let the vet talk you into buying Medi-Cal or Science Diet. Although I personally don't like the ingredients in Nutro Natural Choice you could try adding some salmon oil or coconut oil to her food. :pawprint:

sugarcatmom
August 20th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I would actually suggest ditching dry food all-together and finding a good canned food instead. It would help with both weight-loss and her flaky, shedding fur, I guarantee it. Cats fed only dry are chronically dehydrated, which can result in the coat condition you're seeing. You could also supplement her diet with some EFAs (http://www.urbancarnivore.com/uc_online/pages.cfm?ID=60) or 100iu of VitE every few days.

krdahmer
August 20th, 2007, 05:12 PM
3 out of my 6 eat strictly dry (their choice- I've tried every wet I can think of and even made my own, they want no part of it!:rolleyes: )... and their fur is beautiful. I find that to combat the lack of moisture in the food I had to make the water more accessable and more fun. I like to have a fountain (although have been using the tap until I can afford one that is not plastic) and have little bowls through the house (one behind the fish tank where they hear the running water) and I have put ice cubes in to keep it colder longer. I'm lucky in that the ones that don't like wet food like to drink lots of water and the ones that don't drink a lot like the wet food.

(IMO I also think that just having the fish tanks and the moisture they add to the air helps with their coats.)

And I fed Nutro for years, their coats were never 'bad' on it, but I did notice an improvement in shedding and shine when I switched to a non-grain food.

jiorji
August 20th, 2007, 05:29 PM
And I fed Nutro for years, their coats were never 'bad' on it, but I did notice an improvement in shedding and shine when I switched to a non-grain food.

perfect...i think it\'s just peanut cos Twiggs has GREAT soft fur.But Peanut's used to be really rough when i first got her. Then i levelled off and now it's got dandruff. :sad: too bad tho cos i know som great anti dandruff HUMAN recipes but none she'll like:rolleyes:

sugarcatmom
August 20th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Something I wanted to add was that cats often start shedding excessively and get very dandruffy when there's an illness brewing, so if this is a fairly recent phenomenon, it probably is a good idea to book her annual exam soon. Some dandruff flakes here and there are obviously no big deal since we're all shedding skin all the time, but if it's to the point where you're noticing more than usual, a full blood panel and urinalysis wouldn't hurt. And dreadlocks on a short-haired cat really aren't normal. How old is Peanut, by the way?