Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Grooming

ksmith711
August 20th, 2007, 01:10 PM
My cat has matted fur on her back...just between her lower back to the beginning of her tale. I can't brush it as it appears to be matted and very close to the skin...so I am unable to cut the fur away. Has anyone come across this situation with their cat and if so is there a topical cream/oil that I can put on her to break up the matted mess? Is this a behavioural thing were she has stropped grooming herself?? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jim Hall
August 20th, 2007, 01:59 PM
maybe a little mild shampoo will take some of the gunk away /

does it seem to be a substance in the fur?

Love4himies
August 20th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I have a Himalayan who gets mats constantly (overnight). I try to cut out the mat as close to the skin as possible and then gently try to comb the remaining 1/4 inch of fur to remove any further knotting. Trying to brush out knots is painful and I don't put my cats through that, only normal brushing.

Kristin7
August 20th, 2007, 02:44 PM
There is some spray you can apply but I can't recall the name. One of my cats is prone to matting, so I tried using it, but it didn't work. I do have a comb for removing mats, which works, but my cat absolutely hates it. The best solution is to not let them get mats in the first place, however, it can happen rather easily and quickly and you don't notice it in time... Have you recently switched foods? This is only anecdotal, but I did notice my cat gets more or less mats depending on what brand of food I feed her. It could also have something to do with the weather or season?

ksmith711
August 20th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Thank you for your response. I tried bathing her last night...I don't know what it is in her fur. She is a grey/brown tabby...so not long hair.

maybe a little mild shampoo will take some of the gunk away /

does it seem to be a substance in the fur?

ksmith711
August 20th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Thank you for your response. My cat is a short hair - grey/brown tabby. I don't know what's in her hair. She is strictly an indoor cat. I can't get a comb or brush near it...I tried bathing her last night and using a mild soap - no luck. It is very close to the skin and trying to keep her still while cutting is very difficult.

I have a Himalayan who gets mats constantly (overnight). I try to cut out the mat as close to the skin as possible and then gently try to comb the remaining 1/4 inch of fur to remove any further knotting. Trying to brush out knots is painful and I don't put my cats through that, only normal brushing.

ksmith711
August 20th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Thank you for your response. I wondered if this is a behaviourial thing because I have been very busy getting ready for a move. I haven't changed her diet and she is a short haired brown/grey tabby. The 'matting' is like a clump of hair that is very close to the skin.

There is some spray you can apply but I can't recall the name. One of my cats is prone to matting, so I tried using it, but it didn't work. I do have a comb for removing mats, which works, but my cat absolutely hates it. The best solution is to not let them get mats in the first place, however, it can happen rather easily and quickly and you don't notice it in time... Have you recently switched foods? This is only anecdotal, but I did notice my cat gets more or less mats depending on what brand of food I feed her. It could also have something to do with the weather or season?

Kristin7
August 20th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Strange that a short-haired cat would get mats. Mine that have had problems were either long or medium length haired cats. Are you sure it is not gum or something stuck in her fur? Or even a wound of some sort? If you bring the cat to the vet, they could sedate her and shave it, after checking for problems. I doubt lack of grooming in a short haired cat would result in mats.

chico2
August 20th, 2007, 05:08 PM
My brown tabby Rocky, also shorthaired,got matts,but after he was diagnosed with Hypertyroidism and put on meds,no more matts..
Before,his fur felt oily and he too would have matts at his backend,he is fine now though.
Even though my cats are shorthaired,I comb/brush them regularly.

ksmith711
August 21st, 2007, 08:31 AM
No...doesn't appear to be anything in her fur...just matted very close to her skin. I think you are right...will have to take her to the vet. I was hoping someone had a 'remedy' :(

Strange that a short-haired cat would get mats. Mine that have had problems were either long or medium length haired cats. Are you sure it is not gum or something stuck in her fur? Or even a wound of some sort? If you bring the cat to the vet, they could sedate her and shave it, after checking for problems. I doubt lack of grooming in a short haired cat would result in mats.

ksmith711
August 21st, 2007, 08:32 AM
Thank you for your response. I think a trip to the vet is in order :(

My brown tabby Rocky, also shorthaired,got matts,but after he was diagnosed with Hypertyroidism and put on meds,no more matts..
Before,his fur felt oily and he too would have matts at his backend,he is fine now though.
Even though my cats are shorthaired,I comb/brush them regularly.

badger
August 21st, 2007, 09:18 AM
Chico, thanks for bringing up possible thyroid problems, I was thinking the same thing but hesitated to raise it (since OP didn't mention any other problems). Definitely something to discuss with the vet (in case s/he's asleep :laughing: ).

chico2
August 21st, 2007, 12:39 PM
Yes,you never know,Rocky always had the softest of fur,like a bunny..until he got on meds.