Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

probiotics for cats

badger
August 20th, 2007, 10:21 AM
so I've decided to give probiotics to Pinky, whose stomach is still a mess, if the fumes rising from the litterbox are any indication :eek: .

I saw probiotics on sale at the local drugstore. It's called Yogurt Probiotique and has 6 million whatsits. Does that sound OK?

sugarcatmom
August 20th, 2007, 11:34 AM
so I've decided to give probiotics to Pinky, whose stomach is still a mess, if the fumes rising from the litterbox are any indication :eek: .

I saw probiotics on sale at the local drugstore. It's called Yogurt Probiotique and has 6 million whatsits. Does that sound OK?

I've never heard of the brand you mention, but I did hear from a vet that the 2 best ones for cats are Fortiflora (http://www.healthypets.com/fortiflora30.html) (available through your vet or online), and Culturelle (http://www.culturelle.com/) (from pharmacies and health food stores). Apparently independant tests have shown that many other probiotic brands don't actually contain what they say they do. You could always try the other one for a while and see if it makes a difference. :shrug:

badger
August 20th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks! I've seen Culturelle at Loblaws, I'll take a look.

ellendar
August 28th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I personally never had any problems giving dairy products to cats myself, I think that sensitivities to them are an individual thing not every cat is lactose intolerant and some thrive on it especially on evaporated milk or baby formula, I even give feral Moms souring milk does not seem to bother them they all seem to be the picture of health but i suggesdt you use flavors cats like like plain or vanilla I once got a cat off a dairy farm he grew up on dairy milk never hurt him one little bit that cat liked milk a lot and butter

ellendar
August 28th, 2007, 02:25 AM
trust me that helps litter odor add it to canned food

badger
August 28th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Hmm, brewer's yeast, I must try that, thanks. Agree with you about milk, some cats seem to handle it fine. The higher the fat content, the less lactose it contains (which is what gives some of them problems) so a little cream is HIGHLY appreciated. Not bowls of it, mind you, just as a treat.