Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rabies heading north

coppperbelle
August 20th, 2007, 06:51 AM
There have been three cases of racoons with rabies found in the St.Jean d'Iberville area recently. At the beginning of the summer there were a number of cases in Vermont near the border so it is moving north. If you see an animal acting strangely be sure to not approach it and call the authorities.

clm
August 20th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I had read that the government, not sure if provincial or federal, are paying trappers to trap raccoons within a certain area near the US border. Some animals are tested, some vaccinated, some euthinized. US and Canada are also dropping baits to vaccinate animals as well.
Good advice to stay away from animals that don't look right.

Cindy

coppperbelle
August 20th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I know they have been dropping rabies vaccine laced bait in the area around our cottage. Apparently there is no danger if our dogs happen to find one and eat it. I wonder how true this is especially if they happen to eat more than one.

erykah1310
August 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Its in Northern Ontario as well...
In the sudbury area there have been a couple confirmed cases of bats with rabies.
Scary.

SableCollie
August 20th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I think in most places, there's a lot more rabies around than people realize. We euthanise sick wild animals (raccoons, groundhogs, and bats mostly) and send them out for rabies testing. There has never been a year in the 9 years I've been at the shelter that we haven't had any rabies positives. Usually there's more than one. A couple of years ago, we had it really bad, several animals in one summer testing positive, and those were just the ones that were spotted and captured. It never ends up in the newspapers or on tv, which I think is odd, but maybe a good thing, as people would probably panic and want us to kill off all the wildlife. People just need to be vigilant, not approach wild animals, report any sick looking or strange acting animal, and keep their pets safe and vaccinated.

Lise
August 21st, 2007, 09:27 AM
There has been rabies in our area for years.We have low cost rabies vacc clinics for dogs and cats.The kids bring home reminders to vacc pets against rabies from school.They also have the stay away from animals you don't know reinforced.I think it's mainly common sense,but it doesn't hurt to remind.

coppperbelle
August 21st, 2007, 09:43 AM
I think a lot of things don't go to the media until the authorities want them to and usually when they do it is because the situation is bad. They are reporting 4 cases this morning in the newspaper but in reality there have probably been a lot more. The same thing happens when there is a sexual predator in the area. The authorities wait until a number of women have been attacked before putting out a warning. They don't want to create a panic.