Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help with Cat food!!

Sheena&Viper
August 19th, 2007, 10:17 PM
We just adopted a cat today and we have him on a food called Authority. He is 4 months old and a tabby cat and his name is Viper. I am wondering if any others feed this brand and what your thoughts were. If you do not think highly of this food, what is another brand you could recommend? Thanks so much :)

want4rain
August 19th, 2007, 11:01 PM
im not familiar with the food you are talking about but its strongly suggested to feed your cat wet food. :) my personal suggestion is to go with a grain free wet food or a home made diet (well researched) or a raw meaty bone and organ meat diet. :) kibble is nto healthy for cats to eat. (dogs either but i believe thats more philosophy than fact.)

-ashley

Mia101
August 20th, 2007, 05:23 AM
There are many good ones. I would try Felidae. You can get it in a feed store or online. You can google it and go to the store locater to find it.

It is the cheapest of the 5 star foods I personally have found. As was mentioned, an all dry food meal is not recommended. For some reason, it's hard to get cats to drink enough water. (Well, that's what people say, anyway, it's never been an issue for my cats).

Most people would say a minimum of one small can every day, or at least every other day + an appropriate amount of dry. Wet food is expensive, so I say that twice a week is fine if money is an issue. Or preference, even.

I got my cat a water fountain to encourage drinking. Before that I turned on the bathroom faucet whenever she wanted, not wanting to discourage her in any way from drinking enough.

Love4himies
August 20th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I am currently fostering a momma and 7 kittens and feeding her felidae cat and kitten, canned, mixed with a little wellness kitten dry. She is eating 5 large meals per day to keep her energy up for nursing. For the amount of food she is eating, she is having minimum output in her litterbox and she has been able to gain weight and her kittens are have a good layer of fat on them so her milk production has been extremely good. I started her on Felidae because it is the cheapest quality food I could find (she is eating one large can as well as kibble per day)

I am extremely pleased with both products and felidae seems to be a food that cats like to eat.

My senior cat likes the felidae cat and kitten, but does not like the senior (platinum) at all, my male likes wellness, both core and canned.

clm
August 20th, 2007, 07:57 AM
My cats have Orijen dry and love it. There's a bowl left out for them to free feed as they like. Always lots of fresh water too, I've never had an issue with cats not drinking enough water, mine are always drinking out of the dogs bowl or their own, I'm forever filling up water dishes :laughing:
Wet food they get twice a day, morning and evening, they'll only eat Fancy Feast though.

Cindy

rainbow
August 20th, 2007, 02:11 PM
My cats are also on Orijen (www.championpetfoods.com) and doing great. :thumbs up They also get fed wet food twice a day (unfortuneately they'll only eat Friskies) and the Orijen is left out all day. :)