Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggie Depression! Please help!!

xxBlackxAngelxx
August 19th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Ok, so my dog is depressed obviously. For the past two years my dog get's depressed for a week or so when my brother leaves of college.
But nothing really changes with her, she just kinda mopes around the house.
But last wednesday i went of to the beach for three days, and every since she hasn't been eating. and my parents have told me that she had NO energy what so ever when i was gone. Now that i'm home, she's had her old energy back but she still won't eat very much if at all.
Do any of you have any suggestions as to what we should do for her to maybe get to her eat regularly again??
Do you think having both my brother and I gone at the same time for more then a day might have triggered her not to eat?
Please help.

t.pettet
August 19th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Your dog should see a vet for a thorough check-up.

mummummum
August 20th, 2007, 12:01 AM
So if my counting is correct, it's just been about 5 days since she stopped eating normally. I would try cooking her something she absolutely adores lsuch as liver or pork, something "stinky" and strong-tasting and see if that lures her back into eating. Is she drinking normally? If she turns her nose up at the home-cooked food and persists with not eating or is not drinking as well, I would definitely take her in for a look-see.

shredy
August 20th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I agree, try something she would be crazy to turn down, favorite canned food or something she loves, and if she is still not eating then I would definately take her in for a check up. It could be related to you and your brother leaving, but that could just be a coincidence. How is she drinking? Has she vomited? diarrhea? urinating frequently? accidents in the house? Any other strange behavior?

xxBlackxAngelxx
August 20th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Yeah she drinks normally, I was able to get her to eat her whole bowl of food, at first i had to hand feed her though. then she ate the rest on her own. And no she hasn't vomited, or done anything else unnatural, except being more clingy then normal.
And thanks for all the suggestions! I will definitely try it out and see what happens! Thanks again! I really appericiate it!

Chelly-Belly
August 20th, 2007, 05:51 AM
You know, i read somewhere that dogs also suffer from separation anxiety. My dog was like that too when I went on a vacation for 1 week. poor girl wouldn't eat. But then when i came back, i showered her with attention. In a few days time, she was back to normal. Maybe just make your pet feel that she is never going to be left. They are sensitive beings, too. i find it so cute! goodluck!! :goodvibes: :goodvibes: