Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hmmm

jbsmomto1
August 19th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I was going thru the older posts on the board today, and came across a post where you could rate your dogs food. I don;t wanna tell you what I am feeding yet as I have seen mixed reviews on it, but would still like it graded, I am not sure what most of these ingredients fall under so I wonder if you can grade it for me.

Chicken, brewers rice, chicken meal, brown rice, corn gluten meal, oatmeal, chicken fat, natural chicken flavour, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), dried brewers yeast, anchovy oil, soya oil, potassium chloride, salt, flaxseed, DL-methionine, choline chloride, sodium tripolyphosphate, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C*), biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, niacin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), folic acid, salmon meal, dried egg powder, magnesium oxide, Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], marigold extract (Calendula officinalis L.), L-carnitine, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid.

seems like a load of stuff to make 1 tiny little kibble, but wth do I know.

Mia101
August 19th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I was going thru the older posts on the board today, and came across a post where you could rate your dogs food. I don;t wanna tell you what I am feeding yet as I have seen mixed reviews on it, but would still like it graded, I am not sure what most of these ingredients fall under so I wonder if you can grade it for me.

Chicken, brewers rice, chicken meal, brown rice, corn gluten meal, oatmeal, chicken fat, natural chicken flavour, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), dried brewers yeast, anchovy oil, soya oil, potassium chloride, salt, flaxseed, DL-methionine, choline chloride, sodium tripolyphosphate, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C*), biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, niacin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), folic acid, salmon meal, dried egg powder, magnesium oxide, Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], marigold extract (Calendula officinalis L.), L-carnitine, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid.

seems like a load of stuff to make 1 tiny little kibble, but wth do I know.

1 1/2 stars,imo. No by-products is a plus. Slightly better than corn as the first ingredient as with most grocery store foods, but not much, because:

Whole chicken, as opposed to meal, is weighed before the moisture is removed. So truly it should be listed further down the list.

The fact that chicken meal as the 3rd ingredient boosts the meat content is what pushes it from one star to one and a half for me.

Brewers rice is a horrible leading carb (cheap, empty filler that can lead to diabetes), and with plain brown rice (inferior since it's not whole grain) being 4th, the food has quite a bit of rice total compared to meat.

Corn gluten meal is too high as 5th, imo, some will say the food should contain none at all.

Oat meal is good.

Chicken fat is good, great for a cat but oils would be better for a dog.

Dried Beet Pulp is controversial, some say it is good, that the sugar is removed, some say it's still no good *shrugs*.

Brewers dried yeast is another controversial one. Some say good, some say can lead to liver toxicity.

The rest looks fine, though I don't like dry egg 'powder' instead of egg.

For the same money at a feed store, you can get a 5 star food with more meat, high-quality grains or veggies, and no corn gluten or wheat :thumbs up

mummummum
August 19th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't use it myself. In addition to Mia's points not enough digestible protein, too much grain and rice, beet pulp is an unnecessary fiber/filler and ugh... "Natural Chicken Flavour". :yuck:

rainbow
August 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM
It's not the best food but it's alot better than quite a few others. I wouldn't feed it because of the corn gluten meal :yuck: and it's a little too grainy. The beet pulp isn't a biggy IMO since the sugar is removed and some dogs need a stool hardener added to their food. :shrug:

A good website to check out is www.dogfoodproject.com ....click on "Ingredients to Avoid" on the left hand side of the page. Also, the other links are well worth checking out. :thumbs up