Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What flea treatments do you use?

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Since the Dynamic Duo have finished their boosters, I decided I might want to order their flea treatments online.

I'd been given both Frontline and Revolution from the vet before, and Capstar one time.

I've been looking at Pet Meds, and both Frontline and Revolution look good. Do any of you use these?

Even though I keep my little ones indoors, I thought I should probably still treat them monthly. Is that a good idea?

badger
August 19th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I use Revolution, when needed. If there aren't any fleas (or mites or worms - although there are better worm meds IMO), no reason to treat, doubly so for indoor cats (unless you've had a major infestation in your house and the risk of reinfection is high).
At 15-18$ a dose, it's a racket.
I do treat them right after they arrive (2X) because odds are they've got something going on. But after that, I just keep an eye on them.

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Okay. They scratch now and then, but I can't see any fleas on them. Vlad is the one who's had problems with ear mites from the time I brought him home. The last time I went to the vet they gave me some revolution and I don't need to treat them again until the end of the month. I'll watch them. My friend told me to get a flea comb, so I can brush them with that just to make sure there's nothing there I can't see.

Chelly-Belly
August 20th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Hi there!! :goodvibes:

Maybe these articles can help you decide on the flea treatment your dogs need. It talks about the product in detail. It helped me decide on what my dog needs. I use frontline on my poodle. found out that it was best suited for her. :D

Frontline: http://www.petshed.com/articles/using-frontline-plus-for-dogs.html
Advantage: http://www.petshed.com/articles/about-advantage-flea-treatment.html
Revolution: http://www.petshed.com/articles/all-about-revolution-for-cats.html

clm
August 20th, 2007, 07:13 AM
I can't remember the heartworm meds my dogs are on, but it includes the flea treatment. It's applied once a month to the back of their neck. The indoor cats have never needed treatment and my big indoor/outdoor cat gets the stuff for the back of the neck from the vet....sorry, don't remember the name. He hasn't had to be treated often, fleas don't seem to be a big problem where I am.

Cindy

chico2
August 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I use Advantage on my cats,but only bought a pack of 6,so far I've only used one application,may not use another(I hate to put it on them!)no fleas around.

ancientgirl
August 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I'm going to have to wait until they sleep to really check them good. They are so squirmy. I hate to use something on them if they don't need it, but I see them scratching around their necks a lot. It could be the collar, or maybe they are just itchy. I just moved into this place, and the former tenant didn't have pets, so I think the chances are they don't have anything are good. Plus I have the advantage the place is tiled and has pergo on the loft space.

Thing is, I know this stuff prevents hookworm and mites, so that's another worry.

badger
August 20th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Are they flea collars? I wonder if they are reacting to the chemicals. If they like being brushed and you have one of those wire-toothed brushes, the undercoat you remove will tell the tale: if they have fleas it will be speckled with flea dirt. Even when I couldn't find another flea on Goose (he was badly infested when I found him) speckles told me it wasn't over.
I'm always checking out their ears, including sniffing for that telltale odour, and when they need cleaning, I use a very dilute vinegar solution.
I've also been known to raise a tail or two, looking for 'rice'.
Basically, I never leave them alone :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Think of it this way: where are they likely to pick up mites and parasites, unless they go outside?

ancientgirl
August 20th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Nope, its their regular little collar with a little bell on it so I know where they are. I have a wire comb but looked for it last night and couldn't find it anywhere. I'll get another one on my way home and use a flashlight when I brush them so I can get a better look.

The last time I took them in, when they gave me the Revolution the vet tech told me they had parasites and that's why I had to use the Revolution. I don't know what the heck she meant by that. I couldn't ask the vet because they were seeing patients.

I was reading about that coconut oil and how good it is for clearing up some skin conditions and keeping ear mites away. I'm thinking about getting some for them.

ancientgirl
August 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Are they flea collars? I wonder if they are reacting to the chemicals. If they like being brushed and you have one of those wire-toothed brushes, the undercoat you remove will tell the tale: if they have fleas it will be speckled with flea dirt. Even when I couldn't find another flea on Goose (he was badly infested when I found him) speckles told me it wasn't over.
I'm always checking out their ears, including sniffing for that telltale odour, and when they need cleaning, I use a very dilute vinegar solution.
I've also been known to raise a tail or two, looking for 'rice'.
Basically, I never leave them alone :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Think of it this way: where are they likely to pick up mites and parasites, unless they go outside?

I cleaned Vlad's ears last week with a cotton ball and some Hydrogen Peroxide.

And yes, I also have a look at their little hiney. If I see something suspicious I get the kitty wipes and get to it.

krdahmer
August 20th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I've always used revolution.:D I like that its a multi-tasker!

ancientgirl
August 20th, 2007, 11:11 AM
That's what it looked like after I read the box, and some stuff online.

You use it and your kitties are all indoor right? Or you have some going out?

On the one hand, I'd like to use it to kill what they may have and to prevent anything they can get. But I'm also concerned about any long term effects.

krdahmer
August 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM
well because of fagan this year we've put it on every month since december, we moved into a house that must have had some left over eggs from the last tenants.:yuck: Mine are all indoors, but with Fagan having such a bad allergy I had to spray twice and keep them on the treatment.

I was told that the eggs can live up to 7-8 months+:eek: So you may want to invest in a spray for the house too, the last person that lived there may have had outdoor pets like ours did.

And no I've seen no problems with Revolution its less harsh than the Advantage, etc, its supposed to be non-pesticide. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
August 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Okay, good idea. I have to go to Petco this afternoon on my way home to get them some food, so I'll see if there is a good spray I can get. And I'll get them the Revolution. I did get the feeling it was the least harsh.

Oh, I've been giving them Pet Gold. They love the shrimp and crab cans. I'm really happy they seem to be enjoying their canned foods. I've been experimenting with different flavors to see what they like best. I'm still leaving them some kibbles so they can munch on that while I'm gone at work. And I also picked up some of that organic coconut oil, so I'm going to begin giving that to them in the mornings too.

I figure, I'll take them to the vet for a check up in December, just so they can get weighed, have their temperature taken and get a fecal test. I just want to make sure they stay healthy.:lovestruck:

chico2
August 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM
ancientgirl,you are doing really good with your babies,I am sure they are not lacking anything:thumbs up

krdahmer
August 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM
ancientgirl,you are doing really good with your babies,I am sure they are not lacking anything:thumbs up

I second that .... :thumbs up :grouphug:

ancientgirl
August 20th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks you two! I've really appreciated all the great advice all you pros have given me. It's helped a lot.

I want them to live happy, healthy and LOOOOOONG lives. :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

Taking them for check ups I think will ease my mind and at least make me feel like I'm covering as many basis as I can with them. LOL, they might not like it, but it will be for their own good.

ellendar
August 30th, 2007, 05:05 AM
On young kittens I treat internally with diet adding Brewers yeast to their food this adds B vitamins and the fleas actually do not like how the kittens or cats taste to them
An elderly cat or cat that is old enough to go to the vet can get Revolution but I have these feral ytoung kittens most vets won't treat until they are at least a full 8 to twelve weeks old. I can't even worm them yet they run so fast around here now and come to me and purr and are like tame kittens in almost every way but no way can we guarantee their health until the vet checks them out a high protein diet is best aittle olive oil for the fur balls and for constipation and some diced cooked carrots makes a big difference, when these were younger I could only treat their fleas by changing their bedding every couple hours, fortunately the clothing bank sets out free bags of rags on their porch for me, they have good hearts, after changing them they are discarded, I sprinkle salt under the bedding to dehydrate the fleas but salting scares me don't want the kittens to ingest that salt it works pretty good 'though and is non toxic as long as yu put other bedding over the salted bedding changing their litter box daily is important and never use that clumping litter it clumps up inside their intestinal tract it can be fatal use the cheap stuff or potting soil

ancientgirl
August 30th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I'll ask my vet about the Brewer's yeast.

Love4himies
August 30th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I use Revolution on both of my cats and never had a problem.

ancientgirl
August 30th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Revolution is what I used this last time. I like that it prevents other things too and it seems to be the best one.