Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The cops showed up at my place with stray dogs.....

Loki
August 19th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I look out the window this afternoon and there is a cruiser in my driveway. A cop is standing there with two guys holding unleashed mixed breed dogs. Both dogs had collars on, but no tags.

The cop knocked on my door because they thought the dogs were 'pitbulls' and my neighbour told them that I have a pitbull.

One guy had the smaller dog in is arms, and the larger dog was left running around my street without a leash. The cop seemed uneasy about the dog, and told me not to touch it because it might be a 'pitbull.'

These were unbelievably friendly dogs. I gave the dogs a few treats and some water and put a leash on the larger dog. The cop saw me petting the dog and playing with it and then became more relaxed and started petting him also.

Animal Control showed up and loaded the dogs into the van. I asked what will happen to the dogs. She said that they are "pitbulls" and will be put to sleep because that's the law and they are illegal. I pointed out that the phrase "pitbull" isn't part of the law anymore. She responded " OK, they are Staffy mixes."

We argued for a while, and she eventually said that she's not going to debate it. The dogs are 'pitbulls' because "this is what I do, and I say they look like 'pitbulls.'"

She said the only recourse is if the owner shows up and proves that the dogs aren't 'pitbulls', or if they can prove that the dogs are old enough to be legal.

I'm really not sure what to do. I probably could have handled it better, but the entire time this was going on, the neighbour kept telling the cop to "go check his dog, its a 'pitbull'."

The dogs were well behaved and looked like they were well taken care of. I'd guess that they escaped their yard.

I'm in the west-end of Toronto. The smaller dog was slim, short haired and dark brown in colour. I think it was less than a year tops. The larger dog was male, un-neutred, short light brown coat. If I were to guess, I'd say he was less than two years.

AC said that the dogs are at the west facility.

mummummum
August 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Nice neighbour you have there :rolleyes: . Wow, what a tough spot ~ I can't imagine how you could have handled it differently or better for that matter Loki. :fingerscr the owners contact Animal Control and have the proper paperwork.

Jim Hall
August 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Are you now the default go to fro the cops when any "pB" looking mutt turns up lol And are you gonna dtart a doggie rescue bt default
too funny

babyrocky1
August 21st, 2007, 11:38 PM
I look out the window this afternoon and there is a cruiser in my driveway. A cop is standing there with two guys holding unleashed mixed breed dogs. Both dogs had collars on, but no tags.

The cop knocked on my door because they thought the dogs were 'pitbulls' and my neighbour told them that I have a pitbull.

One guy had the smaller dog in is arms, and the larger dog was left running around my street without a leash. The cop seemed uneasy about the dog, and told me not to touch it because it might be a 'pitbull.'

These were unbelievably friendly dogs. I gave the dogs a few treats and some water and put a leash on the larger dog. The cop saw me petting the dog and playing with it and then became more relaxed and started petting him also.

Animal Control showed up and loaded the dogs into the van. I asked what will happen to the dogs. She said that they are "pitbulls" and will be put to sleep because that's the law and they are illegal. I pointed out that the phrase "pitbull" isn't part of the law anymore. She responded " OK, they are Staffy mixes."

We argued for a while, and she eventually said that she's not going to debate it. The dogs are 'pitbulls' because "this is what I do, and I say they look like 'pitbulls.'"

She said the only recourse is if the owner shows up and proves that the dogs aren't 'pitbulls', or if they can prove that the dogs are old enough to be legal.

I'm really not sure what to do. I probably could have handled it better, but the entire time this was going on, the neighbour kept telling the cop to "go check his dog, its a 'pitbull'."

The dogs were well behaved and looked like they were well taken care of. I'd guess that they escaped their yard.

I'm in the west-end of Toronto. The smaller dog was slim, short haired and dark brown in colour. I think it was less than a year tops. The larger dog was male, un-neutred, short light brown coat. If I were to guess, I'd say he was less than two years.

AC said that the dogs are at the west facility.
I think the only hope is to try and find the owners, maybe put up some posters at the vet and pet stores in the area??? Hopefully you can find them and they are willing to fight for their pups...

chico2
August 22nd, 2007, 07:26 AM
Babyrock,what else could you have done??
I thought StaffieX's were now exempt from BSL???
The owner(as usual)is the one screwing up,for having an in tact dog,unfortunately the dog will pay the ultimate price in Ontario :yell:

babyrocky1
August 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
Babyrock,what else could you have done??
I thought StaffieX's were now exempt from BSL???
The owner(as usual)is the one screwing up,for having an in tact dog,unfortunately the dog will pay the ultimate price in Ontario :yell:
We thought that for a while after the first ruling, however, the term "substantially similar" is still in the legislation and it would seem that the AC officer has made the determination so without the owner to "fight" for the dogs what can anyone do?
The owner, I would imagine. would have to make the case that the dogs do not fall under the "substantially similar" clause and I guess he would also have to pay a fine for having the dogs "at large" as well as there time spent in the shelter...So I dont see any hope without the owners involvement, OR if he or she could be found, that would at least be proof that they were owned... its not very hopeful.... and I cant imagine how many dogs are in the same situation and how many have met the same fate since all of this started.
If the owner feels that his dogs might be considered "pit bulls" then he may be afraid to go to the AC lest he be charged, fined, and jailed... Thats why we call it ONscario!:eek:

Schwinn
August 22nd, 2007, 07:31 PM
"this is what I do, and I say they look like 'pitbulls.'"

I probably would have said, "What? Kill friendly dogs?" Maybe suggested that since this is what she does, you'd think she'd be more qualified...

Not saying I would have helped the situation any...:D

Other than putting up posters, not much else you could do, unfortunatly.

chico2
August 23rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
It's just so sad,that's all:cry:

Jim Hall
August 23rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
could someone provide me woith a link to the relevent statue for this legal
morass?

mummummum
August 23rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Herer you go:

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/dola-pubsfty/dola-pubsfty.asp