Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog not drinking fluids, but is eating

quilterscabin
August 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Hello. My dog was just released yesterday after spending 1 night at the vet. He was dehydrated from vomiting and the vet thinks he had salmonella poisening. I was told that he would urinate frequently yesterday, which he did. However, he has hardly drank any fluids since. He is on a low-residue canned food that he seems to love. I did add a 1/2 can of water to the food this morning and he ate it. I attempted to mix a spoonful of the food into the water in hopes that he would drink the broth. He smelled it, but walked away. I spoke with the vet and he said I shouldn't be concerned about it yet- but I am!

Does this seem normal with the healing process?

If you could email me privately, it would be appreciated.

I should also mention that he hasn't had a b.m in 2 days, but is still urinating

sugarcatmom
August 19th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I'm guessing he was on IV fluids at the vets overnight, so it could be that he's now very well hydrated and might not feel a need to drink water just yet, especially since he's eating canned food. Like your vet said, probably no need to worry at this time. And the lack of poopage is most likely from all the vomiting and not a lot of food intake. It'll happen. But do keep in touch with your vet if you have any other concerns.

mummummum
August 19th, 2007, 11:20 AM
For safety and security reasons personal email addy's aren't permitted QuiltersCabin. If you post a certain number of times you can use the internal private mail system.

You could try substituting his water entirely once or twice with homemade chicken or beef broth if you are concerned.

Dr Lee
August 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM
As a general rule, if pets are eating well, then they are obtaining enough water for what they need. The loss of hunger preceeds the loss of thirst. Good luck. :pawprint:

quilterscabin
August 19th, 2007, 06:21 PM
He is finally starting to drink in small amounts.

rainbow
August 19th, 2007, 06:27 PM
That's good to hear. I hope he is back to normal soon. :fingerscr