Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Disturbing Lost Dog Ad

shirley1011
August 19th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I have just read a lost dog ad on www.kijiji.ca in the Oshawa lost and found section...the ad basically says she has found a dog...no breed,no sex, no colour, no size, no nothing....she says to send her your information and she
will let you know if the dog answers to the name or if it looks like your dog.

Says she has posted on all the sites...this is the first I have seen and I thought I was looking at them all! It is most disturbing to me as it could be any of the lost dogs trying to find its way to Toronto, Ottawa, Belleville wherever home is.

I have emailed her to explain this to her but it sounds like she has fallen for this dog and doesn't want to give it back. I feel the least she could have done was at least gave the breed of the dog for those of us with lost dogs and those of us looking to help others who have lost their dogs over the past year.

Am I wrong to be this angry over this posting?

erykah1310
August 19th, 2007, 09:17 AM
No I would be a bit upset too, I understand not wanting to give up too much info about the dog, however, at least a size, sex and possible breed.
All of us know something about our pets ( defining marks or old injuries) that would help positively identify them.
Kita for example has a scar on her hind right leg on the outside from where meiko thought he was bitning the frisbee, Puppy has 2 lumps on his chest the size of ping pong balls due to ??? who knows, Meiko has worn down teeth and a chipped left canine tooth....
Its wrong indeed to hold out too much.

cpietra16
August 19th, 2007, 10:22 AM
IS she has fallen for the dog then why post at all????:mad: Some people are ridiculous!

mummummum
August 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM
That IS bizarre and makes me suspicious. When Oliver was found I posted everywhere and I think I listed his sex, his general colouring and his likely breed-mix. With replies I asked for special markings and approx age and anything else that was remarkable about him (he was wearing a hat a suit jacket :rolleyes: ). I had one guy who kept emailing me insisting it was his dawg but couldn't or wouldn't give any identifiers onnly insisting that I "call him X, see if he responds". Well, as you and I know dogs will respond to a lot of things if the tone of your voice is correct and consistent :rolleyes:

I wonder other than wanting to keep the dog, if she could be up to no good in some other way....:cool:

Stacer
August 19th, 2007, 10:37 AM
That's waht I was thinking. She may not even have a dog, but is playing on the hopes of pet owner's who've lost a dog and will ask for money or something to give "the dog" back.

shirley1011
August 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I don't know what her game is but I am stinking mad. I have emailed her a couple of times...and oh by the way the ad has disappeared from the www.kijiji.ca site( I knew it would so I did print a copy of it) and I do have her email address as she did answer me. She said that she wanted only the true owners to have the dog as it is a purebred dog and felt that so many would claim the dog to be theirs. She says it had pieces for fence wire in its fur and so bad the dog was crying from the pain. She took it to the groomers and had it scanned....groomers scan??? she posted a poster in her neighborhood and posted on kijiji so has done everything she can to find the owner.. she does not want to keep the dog as she already has 3???
I just don't understand and I have asked her to at least post the breed on somewhere like www.petfinder.com and to see what happens...but who knows.
What if it is Abbey the Sheltie from last year, or even Jace...I am just so upset.

mummummum
August 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM
That's just cruel. :sad:

claringtonon07
August 19th, 2007, 08:57 PM
WELL........i figured i would do one last sweep of the net to see if there is a post for a lost dog that matches the one i have found.....before i take it to a shelter tomorrow.....only to find this........well in my defense

1.I said i posted on usedoshawa and kijiji I did not say i posted on all the sites PLUS I have posted flyers.....and NOT just in my neighbourhood what i said was all my neighbours know i have the dog and it is a lost dog....its not like i am hiding the dog!!
2.It is not that i have fallen for the dog,i love all animals,BUT i cannot keep him anyways as i move in 6 weeks and i have 3 of my own
3.I did not say the groomer scanned the dog,I did say i had the dog at the groomers to help with cutting off all the knots and pieces of wire that were stuck in the fur-which i did not say wire fence?!?.....it was small pieces of wire like from a wire brush u would use to scrape rust from something
4.I did say i had the dog at the vet,because the dog was infested with fleas,plus it had sores all over it from the wires......well and the fleas..HE also has some other medical problems all treat able with meds daily for the rest of his life
5.I HAVE looked on petfinder!!...i have googled lost dogs and found some sites.......and i have looked at this site also a couple times in the last 3 weeks!!........i just did not feel the need to join till now!
6.I also said........i have looked in all the stores around town at the bulletin boards to see if there was anything posted.....i have phoned the local shelters....my vet knows about the dog being a lost dog...and he scanned the dog.......and no chip....no tats either......not fixed.....and in very poor health
At first i was very angry that someone has abused this dog.....BUT then i figured well maybe HE has been lost for a long time thats why HE is in such bad shape......so i have looked and looked and looked at every paper,on the net,at stores,even on poles when i have seen a flyer/poster i have stopped to read it.......and yes i posted ads........that said found dog in Bowmanville pls email to tell me about him/her.........or discribe him her to me....or what ever..........the last post said.......foundLAST AD FOR LOST/Abandoned DOG in Bowmanville dog basicaly tell me about him her .....as advised by my vet,he said if someone lost a dog they will email u.......and yes i did get emails just not for this dog........if it was my dog i could tell u how many spots stripes shades of colour etc etc.......and yes i did delete the ad..........i have had a lot of responses all good till the last person.......and now tomorrow the dog is going to a shelter/pound or what ever as i will not be accused of keeping a dog for reward money--not even looking to be reinburst for what i have spent!!!!!.......which i was willing to spend more to have him fixed if no one claimed him and then i would find him a new home with the help of my vet.....as again i cannot keep him!

(part of what was said to me from the other person who is on here)>>

``` do not wish to cause you any trouble but if you have found a dog…the dog needs to be returned to its owner….you can not possibly understand the heartbreak of loosing a pet…if you did you would not be doing this now. Please post this lost animal properly.. At this time I have not and will not forward the copy of the
ad and your email to the authorities but I will if I need to.```

.......that is part of what i recieved from the one woman on here..........i have done ALOT more then alot of people would..........and i may not have LOST a pet that way before but i do understand what it is like.......to LOSE a pet i have had to send a dog to the rainbow bridge before......worst thing in my life to do ........now i should say this person has sent me another email saying she is sorry.....but i choose not to reply to her anymore as i am just Pi**ed at being accused of any wrong doing!!....and i see she didnt post the im sry to this group!!...and as i said to this woman...........

`i have always felt i have done a good thing....never had emails from someone like u to make me so angry!..........i will be taking this dog to a shelter tomorrow..........and due to the age and medical conditions they will probably put to sleep if they do not find the owner.....hope you feel better about yourself...so i will post another ad .........and tell people to go to the humane society or what ever shelter i took it to tomorrow.....have a good day!!`..................................AND i WILL NEVER TAKE IN ANOTHER STRAY FOR AS LONG AS I LIVE.........pls take my name off this group (it is a awesome site i have looked at it all but do not want any backlash that comes from groups,and by the way i have read all the lost dog ads on here and it isnt any of them)......and pls no emails.....I will not reply any more and the dog is gone tomorrow morning........i am having a hard enough time as it is dealing with this!!............hagd all! :dog:

t.pettet
August 19th, 2007, 09:15 PM
This 'dog finder' should be investigated by the appropriate authorities, whether they be ac, the spca or the police, there is definitely something not right here.

jiorji
August 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM
this is why you don't talk about random ads you see cos you never know who finds your posts:rolleyes: :o

shirley1011
August 20th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I am glad to see the person with this dog has posted...why is it so difficult
to just post the breed of the dog so we may all try and find its owner. I have seen it done so many many times. Why all the secrets.. If she has the
true interest of the dog at heart you do not go on witholding key
points like the breed of the dog.

If the finder of this dog is truly trying to find the owner, I apologize but to
be so mysterious is just cruel.

There are ways to find the rightful owner of a missing dog and this site would certainly have been one way.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone but the agony of loosing a dog and finding an ad like this just made me so angry. So many of our dogs are out there alone and far from home and all we want is them back where they are loved and so terribly missed.

Love4himies
August 20th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Very strange indeed...

If I cared for an animal I would not bring it to the shelter or threaten to bring it to the shelter if I thought it was going to be put down.

She is angry at Shirley so she is going to take it out on the dog???? Don't get that.

Somebody that truly wants to find the owner would at least put the breed of the dog in the ad, especially if she thinks the dog has been lost for some time. Some people may search ads by the specific breed they are looking for. Also, not to put a breed in would cause an enormous amount of e-mails for her from those people whose dog is not that breed and getting a lot of people's hopes up that this dog may be theirs.

chico2
August 20th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Maybe the finder,does not realize the agony and heartbreak of people missing their dogs,some as long as 1yr:sad:
We are all hoping one day to see and ad,describing any one of the several dogs missing from their homes..:pray:
I can understand the frustration of seeing an ad not even knowing if the dog is big or small,male or female.
I am sorry for this lost pup,sorry he/she will end up pts:sad:

shirley1011
August 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I am just frustrated and perhaps should not be upset by this ad by wow I
can't believe she posted it again on kijiji saying it is a medium size breed but her vet has advised her not to reveal the breed.
What a shame that we can not have the info to try and find the owner.
I guess she doesn't understand how caring and compassionate all of the folks here are.
You have been there for me and the others thru this awful loss of our pets.

Love4himies
August 20th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I don't understand why she won't post the breed. That is such an important piece of information for those looking for their pet. I also don't understand why she was so defensive and trying to make Shirley feel so guilty like it is Shirley's fault that the dog is going to the Humane Society and not the person who is actually taking it there:shrug: .

If dogs are like cats, owners know their dogs and all pets will have something that distinguishes them from others, purebred or not.

Owners normally have pictures of their pet to prove ownership and vet bills (we all know about those vet bills).

If not, the reaction of the pet at the first meeting between original owner (one who claims owns the dog) will tell her if the dog knows this person or not. I don't think dogs forget smells and sounds.
:grouphug: for you Shirley.

t.pettet
August 20th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Last year a person found a stray dog near here and put an ad in the paper but did not and would not name the breed or the sex when contacted. She would only give the colour. After AC went to her home to investigate this person refused to turn the dog over to him and was charged with harboring an animal that she clearly didn't own. As it turned out the dog had been listed with AC, the Humane Society and the police as missing and was taken by AC to the rightful owners. Some people are clearly out to lunch!

thegrinch1973
August 27th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I have to admit that after reading this thread, I'm sitting on the fence with this one. On one hand I can definately understand the confusion and suspicion created from reading such a strange ad..with no real description of the dog, especially as I have had a dog taken from me earlier this year, (right off my front lawn I might add) :sad: :cry:
But I can also understand this woman's reluctance (if she IS telling the truth) to include too many details about this dog she has found as I, too withheld certain identifying markings about my Dover Dawg to separate the fact from fiction.
As a matter of fact, I recently had a fellow write and tell me had 'found' my Dover, and if I would just call and make arrangements with his 'maid' as to where to deliver my 'beloved HUSKY', he would be happy to ship HER off to wherever it was I lived... at my expense of course.
The problem(s) with this little plan of his of course were, Dover Dawg is an 8 pound WHOODLE, HE's MALE not FEMALE and the guy who supposedly FOUND my dog lives in ENGLAND!!! I live in Canada....
Needless to say I reported him, but I don't know and very much doubt if anything has been done..
It's a very sad world we live in when people sink so low as to prey on the loss of another.
My point is, I was also told not to reveal everything in my ads as well, to hold back at least one or more unique quality so as to be positive as to his identity should anyone come a-calling.
Sadly, other than.... that person.... I haven't had any luck finding my Dover Dawg and he is dearly missed by everyone, even Crash cat :cry:
Anyway, if this woman is telling the truth, then God Bless and don't give up. :angel:
If she's lying....just remember... what goes around, comes around... :evil:

punkyamberlea
August 28th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Has anyone thought of the fact that this dog may have just been left? maybe because of all the medical problems the people just throw it out! I think that if a person was to place an add for a found dog to try and rip people off wouldnt they list a breed that has an ad for a missing dog? or a popular breed. I kinda agree with what she did i personaly listed the size of the animal or color or terrier looking but, i may not list the breed. half the adds we get for missing dogs from homeagain only say lost brown dog or lost boston no male/female anything. Amber

jonnycatalyst
December 5th, 2007, 09:01 AM
If you find a dog and your intention is to find its real owner then you don't give a detailed description of the dog because believe it or not there are a lot of psychos who would claim it for unknown reasons. Those of you who have had dogs stolen have to be able to agree with this.