Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Giving a cat a bath?

megan_in_pink
August 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Well my little smduge got into my ink pads this week and walked all over them. I was able to get 90% of the ink off his paws with out a bath, but there is still a bit there also since we got him every time he use his little box for about an hr or 2 after he smells like his littler box ( it gets cleaned out 2 times a day and little chaged once a week) How is not outdoor cat but I was wondering shuold still be giving him a bath. The smell gose away after a while.

punkyamberlea
August 19th, 2007, 09:02 AM
good luck! i would try and just put alittle water in the tub or sink and see how the little one reacts to that. is your little one rolling in the cat litter, i know some cats do that. amber

megan_in_pink
August 19th, 2007, 09:07 AM
he plays in it :| we have be trying to clean it right after he use it but we are not always in the basement :|

badger
August 19th, 2007, 10:19 AM
The occasional bath won't hurt but only if absolutely necessary, it dries out their skin. Cats are self-cleaning. If he gets a dirty bum, just wipe it off with a damp cloth.
Don't know what to say about the litter-box behaviour. If he is very young, maybe it's just a 'stage' :)

krdahmer
August 19th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Some litters are dustier than others, I know that when I was using the cheap clay stuff (even the top brands) my kitties all stunk and I couldn't snuggle them because of all the dust stuck in their fur. Since changing to the wheat litter I haven't had a problem at all. And they always smell good now, even if they get dusty they just kinda smell like bread. Much nicer than the eau de clay poop they used to have.

As for the paws, you may want to try soaking his paws, holding him in a inch or so of water with some pet shampoo. That might get the remnants of in off.:D

crazyk1020
August 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I would agree with the cheap clay litter my boys always stunk of the litter box, since switching to swheat scoop, a wheat litter they no longer stink and they smell fresh. I agree with trying to just soak the bottom of his/her feet in a small amount of water to get the excess ink off. Otherwise it will just have to wear off. I tried giving my boys a bath once...last time I ever did it! Now I sleep with one eye open.:D