Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog out the door

allymack
August 19th, 2007, 09:46 AM
my puppy feels he needs to try to run out the open door any chance he gets..even if there isnt another dog outside orsomething that cathes his eye. any ideas on how to stop him from running out the door, i'm scared he might not come back (still working on the recall)

punkyamberlea
August 19th, 2007, 09:54 AM
You'll just need to work harder on teaching him he cant do it. I would try and put another lock on the door for extra protection, so that he hopefully cant get out. I know its a hard issue, but hopefully you guys will overcome it! amber

mummummum
August 19th, 2007, 12:53 PM
This is a two person training exercise ... Both people are in front area by door. Person Staying is at least 5 feet away from door

Person Leaving initially makes a big commotion about getting keys "I'm going now" etc. until puppy rushes over. As puppy is rushing over Person Staying redirects puppy's attention by calling puppy to come (using whatever reward method you are using in training) before puppy reaches Person Leaving and the door. If puppy doesn't respond, Person Staying takes puppy's leash or physically moves puppy (picks up if possible) to where Person Staying was standing. Reward with praise. Person Staying gives Sit command (reward) and stay command (reward). Practice until puppy follows all commands of Person Staying perfectly. Then start phasing out Person Staying so that Person Leaving is giving all the commands and doing all the rewarding and is now instead of making a big attention-getting commotion about leaving is just leaving quietly/ normally.

I like to explain things to my dogs and they seem to understand when I tell them Mummy has to go out by herself. When I am going out by myself I make sure that I do not chit-chat to them or make eye contact with them, go anywhere near their leashes or give them any reason to believe that they are going out.

I also suggest that you don't make a big hoopla when you do take him out otherwise he will continue to get revved up whenever he sees you heading for the door. I make all my dogs sit quietly in order to have their leashes put on.

Puppies of course believe they are the centre of the universe :lovestruck: so it's a good lesson for him to learn that sometimes he must stay behind. If he fusses about it, you could make sure he has a special treat waiting for him (ie. akong filled with frozen yoghurt) to keep him happy and occupied.

allymack
August 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
thanks for the advice, i will definately start working on that today! :)