Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hoping someone can help me.

jbsmomto1
August 19th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Hello, about 9 days ago we acquired an unplanned (but very welcome) addition to our home. Laddie is a 6 month old male hairy hairless chinese crested. The previous home he was in was the mother of the breeder. Laddie had only his first set of shots, due to the fact that he and his litter mates got really sick a few days after the shots. All pups were admitted on April 17, with Diarreah (really bad smelling apparently) . They were admitted and started on fluids and electrolytes. They were vacinnated on the 14th of April. The vet did all sorts of tests not sure what most were for but I do know that all results came back negative (blood and stool) The shots were never continued b/c the breeder and her mom were fearful for the pups lives.

Now I live in a rural area and I know how dangerous it can be to both humans and laddie to be running in this world with no shots, so I have dates to get him done, but i am really scared that he is gonna get sick again.

I have read a bit online about adverse reactions to vaccines and none of what I read said diareeah (foul smelling or not) most were anaphlaxsis, neuro type things and some even mentioned death.

Have you ever heard of pups getting such a recation from shots? Is it possible to divide the vaccines in 2 or 3 doses, maybe a week apart? I am so worried about this I almost feel sick thinking about it.

he is going Tuesday to have his manly bits removed so i will ask them then what they think, also so they will have time to research if they need to. ANY insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rottielover
August 19th, 2007, 09:29 AM
If you are really worried have a toter done, what that does is shows him immunity to the disease. If he does not need the vaccs, the vet will tell you. But rabies is needed.

jbsmomto1
August 19th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Whats a toter??

punkyamberlea
August 19th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Hey,
Most of the time dogs have reactions to the Lepto in the Distemper shot. You can alwats pre medicate before giving shots. Make sure you tell the Vet about the reaction before the shots. you can always split vax up by a week or so. The vet i work for always suggests splitting the final distemper and rabies. Hope all is well for your little one. Also titer test are normally done on animals that have had vac for a few years. Alot of times people do them on Dobbies, rotties, and other animals that have had reactions to the vax, the only problem is normally its about 2-3 times the cost of the vax. Amber

Rottielover
August 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM
sorry, was supposed to read titer, it is a blood test

Rottielover
August 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
it is not 2 or three times the cost at least here, it is 90$ cdn. I believe it is well worth it not to over vaccinate your pet when very well there may no need. Also if a dog has a reaction to the vaccine and it is known, why take the extra chance and do it again if no need. JMO

mummummum
August 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Before you vaccinate, you should determine what vaccines are necessary or recommended in your environment/ part of the world/ for your lifestyle. Rabies is the only mandatory vaccine. For instance there is no point in vaccinating for bordatella if you won't be boarding your dog this year. There's no point in vaccinating against lyme disease if you have no lyme carrying ticks in your part of the world. If you MUST vaccinate ask your Vet about whether a recombinant form of the vaccine (Merial makes them) is available or at the very least, whether a modified live form of the vaccine can be used.