Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

he is pooping on my bed

snugglebunnie74
August 18th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I have a 3 yr old fixed male cat that has recently started pooping on my bed. we did add a fixed 8 month old female a few months ago, but we make sure he still get his full attention. the baox is clean I think it is spite.. he goes a week or more and dont do it and then starts again..HELP

cpietra16
August 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Cats usually poop or pee in oreas outside the litter box to either tell you they are sick or stressed. Adding a cat or changin gtheir environment will make them act out by pooping in your bed. This usually stops when they get use to each other.
If he does it sporadically I would watch him and see what sets him off.
Also I would take him to the vets to rule out any illness.
Good luck.

sugarcatmom
August 18th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Sounds like you only have one litter box, which could possibly be part of the problem. The general rule is one box per cat, plus one extra. I would also put them in different parts of the house, if at all possible (I only have one cat, but I have a box in the basement and another in an upstairs closet - he likes to use them both). Sometimes cats get territorial about bathroom locations, and the signals to each other are so subtle that most people wouldn't notice, or they're just not there to actually witness the confrontation. Cats are at their most vulnerable when they're using the loo so it's important that they feel safe. But definitely you'll want to rule out any medical issues (could he be constipated? My cat will occasionally poop outside the box when he is).

chico2
August 19th, 2007, 06:45 AM
One of my cats,don't know which one,pooped on our bed just once and I am certain it was because we had overnight visitors,who stayed in the downstairs guest-room.
It never happened again.Cats are thinskinned and easily stressed.
With 2 cats,you need 2 boxes for sure:cat: