Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about constipation.

Candyyy
August 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Okay, so for the past day & a half, my dog (Miniture Sheltie) is having problems producing a stool. She's been panting lots, she's whining, she's digging holes in the backyard, which she never does.. etcetc. She's just having a hard time & I have no idea what to do. I've called the vet & I even went to the vet today to grab some fibre food, so hopefully that works. She just got her bordertella(sp?) needle on Wednesday of this week, so could that possibly be a reason for constipation aswell? She was just recently put on a new food called, "Mountain Dog Food." So, maybe her body is just getting used to it?

Help would be very apprieciated.

luckypenny
August 18th, 2007, 04:00 PM
She's been panting lots, she's whining, she's digging holes in the backyard, which she never does.. etcetc.

Sounds like she may very well be in pain. When you called the vet, what did he say? It would be a good idea if he looked at her.

hazelrunpack
August 18th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Almost sounds like she's got a blockage, Candyyy--I think a vet visit is a good idea! As soon as you can!

Please keep us posted. :fingerscr

Candyyy
August 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM
My mom has zero money for her to be looked at. We just spent over $700 on her because she needed medication for other things. I'm not gunna get into details. It's like, $50 a check-up or something.

I called into my dogs vet & he said it's probably a lack of fibre intake. I went to the vet today & he gave me this medicare fibre food. He said if she's still struggling to poo, then he wants to take a look at her. He said mix the fibre in with her food. I just gave her the straight up fibre because I don't want to fill her up with more of the stuff that's making her constipated. So far, nothing has come out. She's sleeping right now. So, hopefully when she wakes up, she'll have to go outside & do something. That's what I'm hoping for.
Constipation can't kill a dog, can it?

Candyyy
August 18th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Almost sounds like she's got a blockage, Candyyy--I think a vet visit is a good idea! As soon as you can!

Please keep us posted. :fingerscr

Well, hopefully the fibre that I gave her early will fix the blockage. If it doesn't, then I'm definatly going to take her back to the vet. He said the fibre should fix it.

hazelrunpack
August 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM
If she's gotten into something and she has a blockage--or if she has bloat--it could kill her. How long has this been going on?

Candyyy
August 18th, 2007, 04:11 PM
The only thing she eats, is her mountain dog food.

This has been going on since yesterday afternoon. How long does it take for fibre to kick in?

Candyyy
August 18th, 2007, 04:12 PM
She has pooped, but it's only little pieces that are falling out. They're not stools, they're just clumps of food.

badger
August 18th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Don't give her too much fibre, a little goes a long way, a tablespoon or two should be enough.
Hope she's drinking plenty.

rainbow
August 18th, 2007, 07:53 PM
What are you giving her for fibre? I would stop feeding her any food and just make sure she is drinking adequate water. It will not hurt her to miss a meal or two. Keep in contact with your vet and take her in immediately if she gets worse.

coppperbelle
August 18th, 2007, 08:55 PM
A brisk walk may help. If she shows any reluctance to go at all then don't but if she is ready and willing it may help her go. You may want to bring two bags because once she starts to go ...
If it doesn't work and she is showing signs of discomfort or continues panting or straining you really need to get her to the vet.

Candyyy
August 19th, 2007, 03:00 AM
What are you giving her for fibre? I would stop feeding her any food and just make sure she is drinking adequate water. It will not hurt her to miss a meal or two. Keep in contact with your vet and take her in immediately if she gets worse.

Even if I do try & feed her, she won't eat. She's been sleeping all day. I took her for a walk after I gave her that fibre food early this afternoon & nothing happened. I even washed out her bum with the pressure wash on my shower head, & nothing.
I seriously don't know what to do. I'm pretty sure I'm gunna take her to the vet tomorrow if nothing comes out. I was watching her in the backyard tonight & I think I saw a little peice of poo come out. I'm almost positive that I saw something. She's straining so much to get something out. It makes me want to cry.

Shaykeija
August 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM
you might want to try raw pumpkin, it is called Pure Pumpkin, in a can. Not the pie mix one. It should help your dog poop.

punkyamberlea
August 19th, 2007, 09:59 AM
It might be her anal glans that need to be drained. I would try and give her some stool softners. also if you dont have the money and are really brave you can always glove up and lube up and stick a finger up to see if theres anything stick. I would not normally suggest that but, she sounds like shes in pain and i wouldnt want my animal to go throw that. -anal glans are on both sides of the anas that normally express when an animal has a bowlmovement sometimes they need to be drained. amber

Candyyy
August 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM
It might be her anal glans that need to be drained. I would try and give her some stool softners. also if you dont have the money and are really brave you can always glove up and lube up and stick a finger up to see if theres anything stick. I would not normally suggest that but, she sounds like shes in pain and i wouldnt want my animal to go throw that. -anal glans are on both sides of the anas that normally express when an animal has a bowlmovement sometimes they need to be drained. amber

My vet already expressed her anal glands when she went to the vet last, which was last Wednesday. So, I doubt it would be that.
Maybe it's a side effect from her vaccination that she had on Wednesday aswell?