Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Samples for a picky puppy?

frankly
August 18th, 2007, 12:49 PM
My husband and children, in their infinite wisdom, picked up a puppy from a ranch 6 weeks ago. I like our puppy, but with 3 kids, both full time jobs, and not a lot of disposible income, I want to feed the dog good food, but not expensive or time consuming food. Raw won't work for me, because meat is really expensive here and I don't have the time to prepare food for the dog. I am looking for a dry dog food that is good and not really expensive. I thought I found one, called Exclusive, that has good ingredients, is very realistically priced, and easy to get from the farm and feed store in town. The problem is ... my dog won't eat it. She just turns up her nose. If she can, she tries to get into the neighbor's house and eat their dog's food, which is Purina One, which I think is not the best thing for her. So we've blocked off our fence, and my vet said just keep feeding Exclusive to her and she will eventually get used to it, but that hasn't happened. She really doesn't like it, and I don't want her to be miserable. My biggest worry is that I will buy something that looks good and is kind of expensive, like the Chicken Soup brand, which is at the feed store, and she won't eat it. I have read that if I give her samples she will become even pickier. Is that true? Is it possible she'll eat the sample fine but then turn her nose up once she gets it more than once in her bowl? I appreciate advice, but please don't chastise me for feeding dry food or getting a dog when I didn't have a lot of time to make raw food for it ... that won't be helpful. Thanks in advance.

luckypenny
August 18th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the forum :) and congratulations on your new puppy.

Perhaps if you make a list of all the dog foods available in your area that you'd feel comfortable feeding your puppy, you could ask for samples from the feed store or contact the companies directly and ask for some. Often, if you just add a little warm water or chicken broth to make a little gravy, it may entice your puppy to eat. I would recommend Canidae (I don't know how it compares to Exclusive price wise) if you can get it. I don't know of any puppies or dogs that I have fed it to personally that didn't like it. http://www.canidae.com/

"I have read that if I give her samples she will become even pickier."

I don't think that's necessarily true. If she wolfs it down, chances are she really likes it.

No chastise here, only if you don't post puppy pics really soon :D .

rainbow
August 18th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I agree that Canidae is a good choice. Do you live in Canada? There is another brand called Acana (www.championpetfoods.com) that is pretty good and reasonably priced. They also make Orijen which is a great food and most dogs love it but it's a little more expensive.

frankly
August 18th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Here are the ingredient lists and price of the food that potentially fits into my budget from what the feed store carries (the pet store is much more expensive). Naturally, the Exclusive has the best price but the dog doesn't like it. I would try Premium Edge, but the ingredients look pretty similar ... can it really taste that different? Chicken Soup is the most expensive brand I would try, but it can be pricey if I calculate the entirety of the dog's life, which she's a smallish dog, so she could live 15 or plus that in years.

As for the chicken broth, even with low sodium, is that too much salt for a dog? I could add it for some flavor cheaply, but I don't know if dogs suffer hypertension or not. I regulate my kid's intake of salt and sugar religiously, so I'm kind of anal about those products.

Exclusive Chicken Puppy Formula (approx $14 for an 18 lb. bag)

INGREDIENTS: Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, corn gluten meal, chicken fat preserved with mixed tocopherols (a form of Vitamin E), beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, salmon oil (a source of DHA), fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Premium Edge - Puppy Chicken, Rice & Vegetables ($19 for an 18 lb. bag)

Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, corn gluten meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), fish meal, potatoes, millet, oatmeal, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, tomatoes, apples, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Chicken Soup - Puppy Formula ($22 for an 18 lb. bag)

Ingredients:
Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, duck, salmon, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

luckypenny
August 18th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Well, the Chicken Soup looks better. I was wondering, what is the recommended feeding schedule for your puppy's age/weight on the Exclusive?

I should have said "home made chicken broth." No salt needed. I don't know about where you live but chicken necks and backs are practically free here, especially if one can find a poultry shop. Just boil some up then let simmer 20 minutes or so. Be careful not to feed the cooked bones.

frankly
August 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Well, I bought a sample bag of Chicken Soup. I priced it out, and by my basic rule of thumb, I like to pay less than or equal to $1.00 per pound of food, so if I buy a 35 lb. bag of Chicken Soup, I will actually be getting 1 dollar per pound, which is acceptable. She ate the food. She didn't wolf it down, but she didn't turn her nose up at it, either. I guess that is a success. If she finishes the sample bag without turning her nose at it, I'll buy a big bag. The Chicken Soup and the Premium Edge were actually closer to the same price and made by the same parent company. Anyway, thanks to everyone that responded.

rainbow
August 20th, 2007, 01:29 PM
You said she wasn't going to be a very big dog so the large bag is going to last you quite a while. Please do not store it in a plastic container. It is okay to put the bag in the container but don't dump the food itself into it. :pawprint:

May I ask what you are paying for a large bag of Chicken Soup and what is the weight of the bag? :o

frankly
August 21st, 2007, 01:09 PM
I bought a 35 lb. bag for $33.00 USD.

We always keep our cat's food in the bag, so we'll do it for the dog, too. We just put a chip clip on it to keep it closed.

What is millet, anyway?

badger
August 21st, 2007, 03:34 PM
Millet is a grain. Commercial birdseed mixes are primarily several different kinds of millet, to give you an idea. Excellent people food too, high in iron.

mummummum
August 21st, 2007, 03:46 PM
When I was learning about kibble, I found this to be a helpful site:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

Soooooooooo... now that we've been helpful :D can we get some puppy pix puuulllleeeeeeeeeeeeez ???