Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

No more shots

ancientgirl
August 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I took the Dynamic Duo to the vet today for their next round of shots, but when I got there they said they were done. I thought it would take a year for them to finish, but I was wrong it seems. They checked their charts and they've got all the shots they need. All I have to do is make sure I take them next year about this time for their rabies.

The vet also said it was likely Oksana wouldn't grow much more, she's going to be a petite little kitty, but I had to watch Vlad, because he's going to be a big boy, and I need to make sure he doesn't get fat.

That's going to be a tough one. I set their food out at the same time and they eat right next to each other. Oksana always eats what she wants, then walks away. Vlad always eats from her bowl when she leaves, even though he's got food in his!

I can't separate the food, because Vlad would find it anyway and I don't want her not to be able to get to food.

Maybe I'm just assuming he's going to be fat. I just have to watch him.

I did have Vlad's nails clipped a bit. LOL, um...he was NOT happy. When the guy came out with him, he asked if I heard him. I said "Oh yeah, I heard him all right."

I asked if I brought them in to be bathed maybe once a month, if they did that and he said yes, but then he told me Vlad would have to be sedated. I can't do that to him unnecessarily, I feel its too dangerous. I'll keep bathing them monthly myself. It's messy and hard, but can handle him. I will however take them both to have their nails clipped every few weeks. I get very nervous when I try and don't want to wind up hurting them by cutting too much.

I'm just very happy my little ones are healthy and happy.

krdahmer
August 18th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Just a question... why are you bathing them at all? I have never bathed any of mine and they are always clean and I think they smell good actually. The only reason to bathe a cat is if you have allergies (which I find mine are better when I do not bathe them) or if they are having problems doing it themselves (poo sticking etc.). Cats are famously 'self-cleaning'!

And as for clipping, you could do it, it just takes practice (and it helps if you have a partner to hold them).... but vets are pros at it, just with 6 I can't afford not to do it myself!:rolleyes: :laughing:

chico2
August 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I agree with Badger,why bath a cat???
In my whole life of owning a cat I have NEVER bathed one..
My Vinnie who is white,loves to roll in the dirt outside(with supervision)an hour or so later he's sparkling white again:thumbs up
I lied,Vinnie was found really dirty on the streets,but he was about 10weeks old and really needed a bath and under all that dirt was this beautiful little white kitten:lovestruck:
I would never stress my cats or myself out by forcing a bath,there is just no need too:cat:

krdahmer
August 18th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Is wondering when she turned into Badger...;) :laughing:

chico2
August 18th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Oh,Oh,sorry Dahmer:sad: For some reason I always mix the 2 of you up,you 2 are a couple of my absolute favorite"cat-people":cat: sorry!

ancientgirl
August 18th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Just a question... why are you bathing them at all? I have never bathed any of mine and they are always clean and I think they smell good actually. The only reason to bathe a cat is if you have allergies (which I find mine are better when I do not bathe them) or if they are having problems doing it themselves (poo sticking etc.). Cats are famously 'self-cleaning'!

And as for clipping, you could do it, it just takes practice (and it helps if you have a partner to hold them).... but vets are pros at it, just with 6 I can't afford not to do it myself!:rolleyes: :laughing:

I am allergic to cats. I take medication which helps me a lot, but by the end of the month, my pills run out and there are months when I'm out of pills before my insurance lets me fill out my next refill. I can go a day or two without my pills, but they're kind of sneezy days. Bathing them once a month, helps keep my allergies at bay, and even though they do a great job at cleaning themselves, after about a month, they start to smell a little like they need a bath. They don't smell horrible, no, but they do smell like they need a little bath.

I figure, I can always clip their nails while they sleep LOL. The vet tech who clipped Vlad's nails didn't do a really great job. The one that usually does it is better, so I'll just do it myself from now on.

clm
August 19th, 2007, 04:21 AM
I've never bathed a cat either, and mine have never smelled like they need a bath. I'd be concerned if they have an odor.
I think I'd come out looking like something from a horror film if I tried to bath mine, they'd tear me to shreds :laughing:

Cindy

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2007, 07:02 AM
I do everything possible to make them happy and comfortable. I love having them in my home and I love that they like to sleep in my bed next to me, but I also don't want to suffer because I live with them.

They are very healthy and the smell I'm talking about isn't terrible. I do it once a month when I've run out of my medication. It helps with my allergies. I bathe them from the back of their front legs down. Mainly in the area of their hind legs. I hold them close to me (I get a bath too) and talk to them soothingly. I've seen some scary videos, but neither of my two have a big problem with it.

They love to walk in the shower after I finish, so their hind legs get wet, and when they use the litter box the litter gets stuck, so bathing them helps get some of that off as well.

chico2
August 19th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Ancientgirl,if bathing the cats eases you allergies,I can understand,many people would dump their animals instead,I was not aware you were allergic to cats:sorry:
You obviously love your cats and if bathing them makes it possible for you to give them a good home,so be it:cat:
However in normal circumstances I would never attempt to bath a cat.:evil:

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks Chico, believe me, I wish I didn't have to do it, because I know its not necessary under normal circumstances. When I first got them, I was told to bathe them weekly, but it was hard on them and me. I didn't want to continue putting them under so much stress because it wasn't fair to them, so I talked to my doctor and we experimented with different medications. Once I found one that worked for me, I was able to cut it down to once a month, the time I have no medication left, is enough. I can go a day or two with no medication, and that's bath time.

erykah1310
August 19th, 2007, 09:12 AM
As potentially dorky as this may sound...
When I feed my cats, they always have their bowl on the freezer which is full, however they prefer "hunting" for their dishes. So, everyday I put a little bit of food in a few little glass bowls I got at the dollar store and hide them in random places around the house. ( places the dogs cant access them)
Only Mr.Floyd doesnt bother looking, but the others go on "hunts" to find the food.
Every day the little bowls only contain a few crumbs so I put some more and hide them elsewhere.
I feel they are getting some much needed excersise "hunting" for the little dishes, and it keeps them mentally stimulated as well...
Just a thought for the one day potential overweight kitty.

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM
That doesn't sound dorky at all. It actually sounds like it might be fun for them. I saw some disposable plastic dishes at Petco. I may get them next time I go and give what you just wrote a try.

erykah1310
August 19th, 2007, 09:23 AM
The first few times they had no idea there was food anywhere, until Mia had followed me, after that she started to follow me around everywhere in the event I was placing "special" dishes of food for her. Now they go on random hunts for dishes.
Especially when they are bored.

krdahmer
August 19th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Ya allergies are a good reason to bath them. I hear ya, that singulair I take is expensive and we pay for it all, so some days I run out and those seem to be extra sneezy days. I did find when we had just the two cats and I tried bathing them it was just too much trauma for them and me, and it really didn't make a diff to my allergies.... if it works for you, and you started them young it'll just be part of the routine and I have heard of cats who don't mind baths.... one of my aunt's showers with her and my Windy when she was really young liked to slide down into the sink when I had warm water in it.... now of course just cleaning her butt a bit is like world war 3!!!:rolleyes:

:D Thanks Chico...:grouphug: right back at ya!

sugarcatmom
August 19th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I figure, I can always clip their nails while they sleep LOL. The vet tech who clipped Vlad's nails didn't do a really great job. The one that usually does it is better, so I'll just do it myself from now on.

Some tips for claw trimming: Start slow. No need to do all the claws done at once. Get your cats used to having their feet handled and give them treats when you do. My vet showed me a great position for doing my cat's nails, which is to cradle them on their back in my lap. Makes it harder for them to struggle and get away. Now, I've been doing this since they were kittens so they got very used to it, but it might take a bit of practice when you're just starting out. You can first try the position very briefly (a few seconds), then give a treat. Next time, hold them there for a little longer, give another treat. Introduce some toe-fondling after that, and more treats. Keep practicing until you can trim one claw. The next day, do a couple more. Always try to keep it a positive experience with minimal restraint. They should eventually come to accept it, even if they never actually enjoy the process.

Here are some examples of Aztec getting a pedicure:

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2007, 04:11 PM
So far I've tried to get them while they're sleeping. I only wind up getting maybe two nails, but I'll try that position and have some treats handy.

Thanks for the tips!

ancientgirl
August 19th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Ya allergies are a good reason to bath them. I hear ya, that singulair I take is expensive and we pay for it all, so some days I run out and those seem to be extra sneezy days. I did find when we had just the two cats and I tried bathing them it was just too much trauma for them and me, and it really didn't make a diff to my allergies.... if it works for you, and you started them young it'll just be part of the routine and I have heard of cats who don't mind baths.... one of my aunt's showers with her and my Windy when she was really young liked to slide down into the sink when I had warm water in it.... now of course just cleaning her butt a bit is like world war 3!!!:rolleyes:

:D Thanks Chico...:grouphug: right back at ya!

Yes, it helps until I get my prescription filled, and they really don't completely hate it. That's why I did try to get them used to it from an early age. I figured, they'd never love it, but would come to tolerate it once in a while.