Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ants

wdawson
August 18th, 2007, 09:28 AM
this morning i discovered a large gang of very tiny ants around the dog bowls,they are smaller than the regular ants.

does anyone know of a NON TOXIC way to get these buggers to leave?

luckypenny
August 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM
The only thing I can think of is these little food baits (but they are toxic) that attract ants. They bring the food/poison back to the colony. Best if you place them where the food bowls are and feed your pooches in another area for a few days. But you'd have to ensure that the baits are not accessible to the dogs or young children. Once they're gone, it's a good idea if you wash their bowls as soon as they're done eating so as not to attract another colony.

Or you can always feed the ants in another room so they leave the dogs' bowls alone :D .

hazelrunpack
August 18th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Check the bag of dogfood, dubyaD--sometimes grease ants get into the bag at the storage facility and you bring them home with the food. If they're in the bag, the best thing to do is bite the bullet, get rid of the food and buy new. :shrug: But then at least your ant problem would be gone, too. :p

mummummum
August 18th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Are they quite small, slightly reddish and have a transluscent quality ? If so, we have them ehre too. Try sprinkling food-grade diatomaceous earth (health food stiore) but let me tell you, they're pesky little things to get rid of !!

wdawson
August 18th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Are they quite small, slightly reddish and have a transluscent quality ? If so, we have them ehre too. Try sprinkling food-grade diatomaceous earth (health food stiore) but let me tell you, they're pesky little things to get rid of !!

thats them......and they are not in the food,thats kept in an air tight container.....but i checked anyway.

coppperbelle
August 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
You can try putting the dog food bowls in a dish of water. That way the ants trying to reach the food will drown before the reach the food.
I don't know if it is available in Canada but I have bought it in the U.S. It is a product called Terro. It works great to get rid of the the little buggars. Last summer I had them in a cupboard where I keep sugar. I put a few drops on a piece of paper and for 24 hours thousands of ants came to eat. I couldn't believe how many there were. They came into the kitchen, climbed the wall, went into the cupboard, ate and left. The next day there were none and I haven't seen one again.

wdawson
August 19th, 2007, 05:43 PM
You can try putting the dog food bowls in a dish of water. That way the ants trying to reach the food will drown before the reach the food.
I don't know if it is available in Canada but I have bought it in the U.S. It is a product called Terro. It works great to get rid of the the little buggars. Last summer I had them in a cupboard where I keep sugar. I put a few drops on a piece of paper and for 24 hours thousands of ants came to eat. I couldn't believe how many there were. They came into the kitchen, climbed the wall, went into the cupboard, ate and left. The next day there were none and I haven't seen one again.

the dog bowl in a water bowl sound good.....but the dogs will drink the water,then i'm back to square one:D .....i bought 12 of those trap things and i also sprayed the perimeter of the house where the dogs and cats cant reach.

rainbow
August 19th, 2007, 07:03 PM
The diatomaceous earth worked for me when they got in my basement. I bought it at Home Harware and it was safe to use around pets.

wdawson
August 19th, 2007, 07:52 PM
great....its pet safe....i will go to home hardware and get some....just in case my defence plan wont work.

onster
August 19th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I dont know if this actually works, but a guy in the army told me that they put a mixture of baking soda and icing sugar (half and half) around their bunkers to keep ants and all sorts of bugs away. Apparently the ants eat it cuz of the sugar and bring it back to their colony, but the baking soda causes them to expand and pretty much implode. :eek:

krdahmer
August 20th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I use a spray I got at Canadian Tire called Insect-i-gone, it's supposed to be safe for pets. All you do is spray it around your baseboards and doors and windows if they are a problem, it dries really fast and it lasts me the whole summer. I spray in Feb/Mar and that usually deters ants all season. If you are in a house you can also put a centimeter wide line of Borax (cheap detergent) all around your foundation which also works on centipedes:yuck: , but that is toxic if ingested, so you have to be sure the dogs won't eat it.

I also have my pet food bowls off the ground they have some really neat things you can get for that now. Right now they are just under the coffee table but I want to make something all 6 can eat out of... these are some of the pics I'm using for ideas.

Schwinn
August 22nd, 2007, 08:03 PM
I dont know if this actually works, but a guy in the army told me that they put a mixture of baking soda and icing sugar (half and half) around their bunkers to keep ants and all sorts of bugs away. Apparently the ants eat it cuz of the sugar and bring it back to their colony, but the baking soda causes them to expand and pretty much implode. :eek:

I was going to suggest this. I know people who swear by it. Never tried it myself, though.