Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pleasantly surprised by Peta's stance on dogfighting

seeker
August 18th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Previously Peta has shown little support in helping the "pitbull" cause. They have stated many times that they support BSL ,however Michael Vick and the exposure of dogfighting in general has opened their eyes it seems.
They seem to be all over this as far as the cruelty aspects and have gone as far as approaching the NFL asking them to suspend Vick and even calling upon the NFL to decry animal cruelty in all form in their official"code of player conduct".
Now they say they are recieving many more reports on dog abuse including fighting . They have a campaign that is designed to rally for increased sentencing for animal cruelty and it focuses mainly on dogfighting .Their goal in this case is to wipe it out.
I have written many letters to them in the past 2 years asking for support against BSL and have not sent them a penny since all the corespondence has been saying they would support BSL.
But in this case in what seems to be a slight change in their stance I can feel good about considering a donation. Even though we are not talking about BSL and I really don't know if their position has changed on that I am trying to look at the big picture. In this case dogfighting is the issue and we must support any attemp at wiping it out.
The dogs used in this illegal and cruel so-called sport are victims and maybe Michael Vick's link to this activity will show the public and polititans once and for all that it is not the dogs that are the problem and that the Human element is the real danger and cause behind the pitbull/vicious dog problem that many communities face.

LavenderRott
August 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Please don't be fooled by the rhetoric. PETA is very vocal about animal abuse of any kind and this dogfighting thing is no more important to them then the slaughter of cows or chickens. If Micheal Vick raised beefcows, they would be all over him. (Or would be ignoring it if it wasn't in the press.)

PETA is always willing to put themselves in front of a high profile case and will do whatever lip service necessary to keep their name in the paper. And if you think that this case has opened their eyes to what is happening to pit bulls, you might want to think again. I can promise you that pushing for Vick's prosecution on these charges has not caused them to decrease the amount of money they have invested in having the breed banned from any and every city across the country.

LL1
August 18th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Good for them.They have been pretty vocal about this.

Schwinn
August 22nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
I agree with Lavender on this one. I'm willing to guarantee that thier stance on BSL hasn't changed. I'd say that they've been vocal for two reasons...1)they are attention whores and 2)pitbulls aren't the only dogs that are used in dogfighting. My personal opinion is that there are LOTS of groups fighting against dog fighting AND for pitbulls that, personally, I'd direct my money to them.

Every once in a while, even a blind squirrel gets a nut.

LavenderRott
August 22nd, 2007, 08:13 PM
Oh. No. They will use the dogfighting angle to justify the BSL.

seeker
August 23rd, 2007, 06:02 PM
You guys are probably right about Peta. It is unlikely their stance on BSL has changed but stopping dog fighting is a good cause it is likely the biggest reason our dogs are percieved by the general public as a threat that being at least part of the reason for BSL in the first place. They do have the power and I am sure have some political backing.
I also agree there are many other organizations dedicated to our cause I do support them and to be clear it has been quite some time since Peta has got a cheque from this house.
I just wanted to "call a spade a spade" and say something good about them when I felt they are doing something good. I have in the past called them down about BSL in the form of written letters, email and probably here too.