Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hi need help

judylinn
August 17th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Hi all, glad to find this place. I have a yellow lab named Maddie...7yrs old, and lots of problems but right now her throat is very swollen in the front, its like a huge pouch of sweeling. However the vet saw her today, and her lymph nodes didnt appear to be swollen. Vet doesn't seem to know. Has anyone seen this before? judy

luckypenny
August 18th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Sorry, I've never seen something like that before. Is she at least able to swallow water and some food? I think an opinion from another vet is a good idea. :fingerscr that whatever it is, it's resolved soon.

erykah1310
August 18th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Is your dog a chewer or grass nibbler at all??
Kita one of my dogs had something similar to this and the vet poked a needle in it to pull some of the innerds out and it was pussy blood. Later that night the pressure of the swelling and the tiny poke hole make a recipe for a burst.
( Kita was on pain meds and antibiotics at this time) however, it "drained" for 12 hours so we returned to the vet first thing in the morning.
At this time Kita was put under so that they could open it up more and get it all out, and a very disgusting piece of wood was found near her bottom jaw. The infection was her bodys way of ridding of the wood sliver.
Perhaps you should get a second opinion, I dont see why your vet didnt do the poke thing as well?????

BMDLuver
August 18th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Darling Sam I Am, while he was with us, got into a patch of burrs. We thought we had removed them all but must have missed one as the silly guy chewed it out and swallowed it. Next day, he looked like he was bordering on goiter. He ended up having a round of antibiotics and his body "absorbed" for lack of a better word, the burr.

Your Maddie may very well have gotten in to something like a stick, burr etc and that's the body's way of protecting from the foreign object. Unless it's metal, it does not show on an xray unfortunately.

punkyamberlea
August 19th, 2007, 09:50 AM
is it soft? did the vet try and see if fluid would drain out of it? did he talk about didnt a biopsy? if not i would get a 2nd opinion!

rainbow
August 20th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up Sorry to hear about Maddie and I would get a second opinion also. Good luck and please give us an update in the pet health forum. :fingerscr Also, we'd love to see pics of Maddie which you can post in the photo forum. :pawprint: