Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

eosinophilia

SableCollie
August 17th, 2007, 07:49 PM
While I was on vacation, the vet called me with the results of Sable's bloods (complete profile was done because she does need a dental). The vet said all looked great except a slight increased level of eosinophils (hope I'm spelling this correctly!). I don't know how increased, I am requesting a copy of the blood profile. The vet said this is usually parasites or allergies. Now Sable shows no symptoms of allergies at all, and no symptoms of parasites. She was tested negative for heartworm in the spring (this is done annually), and has been on Interceptor year-round, which is also supposed to take care of intestinal parasites. I am bringing in a stool sample when I can, but I am just really puzzled by this. The vet says this won't affect her going under anesthesia and she can still have the dental done. She did write "has eosinophilia" on her chart. I was just wondering if anyone had seen this in their dog's blood tests before? :confused:

badger
August 17th, 2007, 11:03 PM
This is the simplest article I could find. As you can see, the parasites they mention are not the usual kind, you'd probably have to do further testing to figure out the origin.

http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/parasite/1996-January/001260.html

hazelrunpack
August 18th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Evan's eosinophils were high--turned out to be due to inflammatory bowel disease. But if Sable had that, you'd know it :shrug:

:fingerscr Hope it's just an anomaly and goes away! So when does Sable get her teeth cleaned?

SableCollie
August 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I really hope the vet will be able to figure out why her eosinophils are high. Hopefully nothing serious! She doesn't show any symptoms of anything!

Sable gets her teeth cleaned next Friday. I am nervous about it! But my friend the vet assistant says they will keep her safe, they have a variety of anesthesia agents and they will use the best one for her, but I'm still nervous!

mummummum
August 18th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I thought increased eosinophils could also show a reaction to medications. Maybe Sable is reacting to the Interceptor.

SableCollie
August 18th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I thought eosinophils could also show an increase in reaction to medications. Maybe Sable is reacting to the Interceptor.
That's an interesting thought, I certainly could cut her down to the 1/5 dosage, and see what happens.

SableCollie
August 18th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Just got a copy of Sable's labwork. Even though the vet only mentioned the eosinophils and said everything else was "fine", there are a few other levels that are slightly off. Here are all the ones that were flagged "high" or "low".

Chloride 117 (normal 105-115)
MCHC 30.3 (normal 32-35)
lymphocytes 9 (normal 12-30%)
eosinophil 12 (normal 2-10%)
absolute eosinophil 1380 (normal 100-1250)

I know everything is just barely "off" but still, anything I shoould be concerned about?

Dr Lee
August 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM
SableCollie,

Eosinophils are a white blood cell which can be elevated for a variety of reasons. Also remember that blood tests are a 'snap shot' in time. An hour later they will be slightly different. It might be worth repeating the blood test (just the CBC portion, which shouldn't be very expensive) in 2 weeks.

Causes of eosinophilia
may be idiopathic - no know reason
any allergies - food, environment, flea
any parasite - intestinal, skin, heartworm
Addison's disease (loss of adrenal function)
certain types of lung diseases, tumors, etc....

If she is otherwise acting fine, do not get worried about a mild to moderate elevation of eosinophils unless there it is a persistent finding or there are other clinical signs. Of course with this said, yearly heartworm and fecal testing are always a good idea if you live in areas that this is recommended.

Good luck.:pawprint:

SableCollie
August 19th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks, Dr. Lee. I am not overly worried about it, since nothing was excessively high or low. Thyroid was within normal limits, but in the grey zone, I will have that rechecked in the future too. I'm bringing in a stool sample when I bring her for her dental, hopefully it checks out ok. :fingerscr