Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can anyone explain the FIP titer Scores

jowilson002
August 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Hello,

I recently lost a cat to FIP. We believe that he had both the dry and the wet form. He had the abdominal effusion, pleural effusion as well as ulcers on his eyes.

Now two of my lost kitty's litter mates have FIP titer scores of approximately 1:160 and 1:360 (The ones place digit may be off). I don't understand these scores especially when the cats seem fine physically (except their WBC counts).

Both cats were running a low grade fever and had elevated WBC counts of 35,000 and the vet said that up to 18,000 was in the normal range. This was a week ago. They were showing no other signs of illness.

Both cats (10 months old) were started on Prednisilone 10 mb bid and 62.5 mg of clavamox bid last week. We are also giving them amino b plex 2x daily and Denamarin for liver support. My kitten that died was yellow due to liver problems and we are trying to prevent this in these kittens.

Now a week later neither cat is running a fever. Both have normal appetites (one has actually gained weight (and it is not fluid) and they seem to have normal activity levels. The lab work this week showed a drop in WBC count of 1,500 pts per cat. All of the lab work except the FIP titer and the WBC counts is normal.

What does all of this mean???

I have 8 cats and only the litter mates are showing any signs of illness. The others are fine so far.

Can anyone advise me on this? Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer W.:cat:

Dr Lee
August 19th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Jennifer,

I am sorry to hear about the cat you lost. FIP titer scores are confusing and are only a small portion of looking for FIP.

What does an FIP positive titer mean? It means that your pet has been exposed to, and is likely carrying feline corona virus. With that said, about 30% of most household cats and 80-90% of cattery cats carry corona virus.

What is the link of corona and FIP? Corona virus mutation within a cat can lead to the formation of FIP, however this is rare.

FIP titers are by themselves useless. In combination with other tests they become important. You cannot have FIP without first having corona, but most cats with corona do not develop FIP.

Fluid analysis and biopsy (histopathology) are the best methods to make a diagnosis in a cat that is suspected of the disease due to clinical signs.

I hope this helps.:pawprint:

krdahmer
August 19th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I'm sure you did when they first poor little guy got sick, but have you quaranteened the sick ones from all the others?

jowilson002
August 20th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Yes, the ill cats have been quaranteened from the others. Thanks for your concern...I really do appreciate your feedback.:thumbs up

Jennifer W.

jowilson002
August 30th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to touch base with you. Remember Simon's Litter Mates; Bagheera, Mary, and Gabriel. They are on Clavamox, Prednisilone, Denamarin, and Rx Amino B Plex.

Gabriel and Bagheera had perfectly normal cat: CBC and Chem. Panel's this week.:thumbs up

Another cat that I have has an elarged lymph node in her abdomen and surgery was done to obtain a biopsy. The results will not be in for a few days. She also has abdominal fluid.

Mary goes to the vet on Friday but she is behaving normally.:pray:

Thanks, Jennifer Wilson:pawprint:

WestieLuvvver
August 30th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Hello Jennifer:

Firstly, let me say I was sorry to hear you lost one of your feline family friends.

If you do a Google search using "What do the feline titer scores mean" as your key words, you will come up with some interesting sites that should be able to help you with some of the issues with which you are dealing.

The Google data, coupled with the info provided by other posters in this thread, should be quite helpful, I hope, to you!

Please let us know how you make out.

Regards, Jan