Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Weird Question, Need Help!

audismommy
August 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM
:confused:

This is a weird question, and I've tried to get an answer but have had no luck! Let me know if you can help!

For the past few days (on and off) my dog Audi (boxer x chocolate lab) has had a green-gooey discharge from his penis. My husband and I have been wiping it off, and there is a smell (much like silver or rust) to it.

I'm not sure, we feed him Iams puppy, as he is 8 months old. We've been feeding it to him since 8 weeks, so I don't know what else it could be.

He also wants to lick it all the time. (Soounds gross I know!)

Any help is appreciated!

-Danielle

badger
August 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM
He has an infection. Please take him to the vet.

Winston
August 17th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Definately a vet visit is in oder! Boy he sure sounds cute! I have a chocolate lab....but with a boxer...he would be so cute!

Do you have any pictures to post for us?

Cindy

Dr Lee
August 17th, 2007, 11:37 AM
:confused:
my dog Audi (boxer x chocolate lab) has had a green-gooey discharge from his penis.

A common finding in males, especially puppies and unneutered males is smegma. It forms a small bright green or yellow dot of goo on the tip of the penis. For normal smegma, no other signs will be seen - no straining to urinate, no blood in the urine, no increased frequency of urination etc...

Wikipedia defines smegma as the following:
"Smegma, a transliteration of the Greek word σμήγμα for soap, is a combination of exfoliated (shed) epithelial cells, transudated skin oils, and moisture, and can accumulate under the foreskin of males and within the vulva of females. It has a characteristic strong odor. Smegma is common to all mammals, male and female. Mycobacterium smegmatis is the characteristic bacterium involved in smegma production, and is generally thought to form smegma from epidermal secretions."

Thought this might help. Certainly a good idea for veterinarian just to confirm it though. Good luck.:pawprint:

want4rain
August 17th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Mister has this. no funky peeing, no blood in it... just eweys sometimes.

-ashley

rainbow
August 17th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Both my males had this when they were younger. Is Audi neutered yet? With my boys it seemed to stop after they were neutered.

Also, feeding Iams has nothing to do with it but I would switch Audi to a food with better ingredients. Here is a list of ingredients to avoid:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

Click on the other links on the left hand side of the page as there is lots of good information on that website.

Another good site is www.dogaware.com

Some of the brands I would recommend are Orijen/Acana (www.championpetfoods.com) Canidae (www.canidae.com) and Innova (www.naturapet.com).

Also, check out our food forum here for lots of good information. If you have any questions about food choices, ask them there. :)

Winston
August 17th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Neutering stopped it in my guy Winston!

rainbow
August 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I also forgot to say "welcome to the forum" and we'd love to see pics of Audi. :dog:

want4rain
August 17th, 2007, 01:29 PM
i second that! i also have a boxer black lab mix Mister. :)

-ashley

audismommy
August 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Thank you so much for your helpful replies!

I am concerned though because Audi is neutered. He had his operation two months ago. Therefore, I think I will take him to a vet because if this (smegma) is indeed common in intact males and it shouldn't happen in neutered males than that makes me worry. :confused:

At least I have something to research now! Thanks!

(Also, I've been looking for healthier foods to feed him, so much appreciated for the links!)

I attached a picture of my little guy, hope it works. :)

bendyfoot
August 17th, 2007, 03:27 PM
awwww....he's preeeetty!!!:lovestruck: :lovestruck:

Love those eyes! Hope you get some answers for his *ahem* boy problems!

chico2
August 17th, 2007, 04:22 PM
OH my,what a sweet boy,good luck with him and Welcome to our Forum!!

badger
August 17th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I LOVE him! Good luck at the vet.

rainbow
August 17th, 2007, 05:19 PM
He is sooo cute. :lovestruck: Does he have the lab tail or the boxers? We have a photo forum here where you can post lots of pics of your handsome boy. :thumbs up

rainbow
August 17th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Since he's neutered it's a good idea to get him checked by your vet.....

Discharge from the sheath, (balanoposthitis) A male dog normally produces a cream-yellow coloured lubricant in the sheath (smegma). Injury or infection to the sheath or penis can cause increased redness, excessive drip that may be foul-smelling, and licking. To treat, the sheath is flushed with warm saline or dilute antiseptic this reduces the quantity of discharge. If the problem is due to bacterial infection, the dog is treated with antibiotics.

Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr