Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just my dogs mom

threebadboydogs
August 16th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Hello all,

A bit about me. I have worked with animals for most of my adult life and have owned critters for as long as I can remember. However I went through a period in my life without a dog for 7 very long years...and apparently 5 years ago I decided I couldn't live another day without a dog...and as they say..."Congratulations, your now a proud new mom!".

My boys are as follows:
Barkley (the first) is a 5 year old bichon maltese. He found me through an old boss who's dog had pups. One day she dropped him off at my desk and said "Meet your new best friend"...needless to say a little white ball of fluff with cream ears...LOVE.

Then came Alfalfa; a 9 (or something) year old lhasa apso. I was contemplating a friend for Barkley...and a friend said she knew someone who wanted to get rid of their kids dog and if someone didn't take it they were going to shoot him. So...welcome the second dog. Unfortunately you get what you pay for (he was free) and wasn't vaccinated, neutered or identified. So after spending a few dollars and a month of a boy on boy love-ahon in my backyard (Barkley was neutered at 7 months...so I would gather Alfalfa figured he found a new "partner") we adjusted his desires.

Meanwhile I changed careers. I started working for the local humane society as an animal protection officer...and well after 2 years of not coming home with every cute dog...the Fizz found me. I think it was fate as just the night previous I told a friend one day I would have a brown dog like Fizzgig in the Dark Crystal. Then the next day I had a HORRIBLE day, was contemplating leaving and my secretary brought in the Fizz...the rest is history.

So as you can imagine...I have some issues in my home. Barkley is quiet dominant over Alfalfa in regards to my time (I am not allowed to kiss, pet, or generally love Alfie otherwise I get a stern reprimand). Fizz is just confused (a puppy in a adult world). Alfalfa...well...has to bark at everything. The worst probably is with three males, dominance marking is a HUGE issue. Thankfully The Fizz still "pees like a girl" and hasn't caught on to his brothers actions.

So I am hear to pick people's mind on training older dogs; three older dogs. Especially when you live with other people who don't respect boundaries for dogs.

Anyway...I hope this sight will help me find the answers I need and maybe give insight into keeping my dogs happy and well adjusted.

Or something!!!!

Signed,
the treat giver...Carly

luckypenny
August 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Welcome Carly :) . You have a heart of gold. Would you happen to have any pictures to share?

I'm sure you'll find info on just about everything here. If not, just ask, and everyone who can, will help.

hazelrunpack
August 16th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Welcome, threebadboydogs...oooo...that's so long...so we'll just christen you TBBD! :D

What an introduction! I have three boys, too--but also four girls (five come Saturday when the foster arrives...:eek: :crazy: ) and we have some dominance issues, too, though thankfully, fairly mild ones. :fingerscr that you get some sage advice from the behavioral gurus on the board and we'll both learn a trick or two! :thumbs up :D

Looking forward to chatting with you in the forums!

Frenchy
August 16th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Oh boy ! You seem to have your hands full ! I think I would start by training the people in the house :o then you can train the dogs :shrug:

Oh and you must post pictures of these pooches !

meg4050
August 17th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Welcome Carly! I have a Barkley too!:)

rainbow
August 17th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Frenchy....you need to train the humans first. And, pics are a definite must here. :D

threebadboydogs
August 18th, 2007, 12:56 PM
thanks for the warm welcome...I just tried to upload some pictures...and apparently they are too large. Once I figure out how to make them smaller...I will post!!!

Again...looking forward to chatting with you all.
signed,
the treat giver...Carly