Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sards

want4rain
August 16th, 2007, 09:13 PM
a friend of mine, her dachshund has turned up with Sards. there has been a suggestion for her to get another dog to bond with.

what are your thoughts on that?

-ashley

luckypenny
August 16th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Did he lose his vision recently? If so, I think he, as well as the family, should take as much time as they need to adjust. A new dog may just add to the confusion at this point.

want4rain
August 16th, 2007, 09:52 PM
actually she hasnt completely lost her sight yet. they say between a day to a week or so before she is completely blind.

any advice to give on how to help them as a family to cope? to help Parker cope? im sure she is seeing a great vet but you know, anything i could pass her way would be great. :)

-ashley

luckypenny
August 16th, 2007, 10:04 PM
When our Peanut went blind, we just tried to continue on as normal as possible. For obvious reasons, we made no changes in the environment and kept things as routine as possible. How old is their dog? There must be some pretty good forums for owners of visually impaired pets. Maybe you can start there and refer them to one where they will 'meet' others who have gone through this experience already.

I have another idea but it may sound a little far-fetched to you. I was thinking of a seeing eye dog. Don't know if anyone's ever done that before but I'm kind of curious if that would work.

You're a doll for supporting them through what must be a difficult transition for them.

want4rain
August 17th, 2007, 08:50 AM
she is devastated. i think Parker is 3yo?

the seeing eye dog was kind of the idea with the second dog. they are making a big move in a few weeks (boy that couldnt come at a worse time!) so she is really concerned about how Parker is gonig to deal with his new home blind.

im sure with tons of love and affection Parker will adjust just fine. :)

-ashley

Dr Lee
August 17th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your friend's dog. Another suggestion is that some good trainers have experience with handicapped pets and may have some great tips. Isn't there a behaviorist and trainer that is on this board?

bendyfoot
August 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Dogs can adapt amazingly well to being blind. They can "map out" their homes and familiar areas, including stairs, quite quickly as long as furniture doesn't get moved around a lot. I'd get your friend to check out http://www.blinddogs.net for some good tips for coping with the change, and stories of other dogs. Or try looking at http://www.handicappedpets.com and check out the sections on blind pets.

I know it's a scary notion, but dogs adapt to disabilities much easier than humans...while the dog will obviously notice the change, they will not have all the psychological trauma associated with the vision loss that a human would have. They are usually happy to get on with the "new" life.

One tip: blind dogs can be startled if they are suddenly petted or picked up without warning, ie. they didn't know that someone was there. Tell your friend to let others know the dog's vision is impaired, so that the dog won't be startled.

want4rain
August 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM
thanks Bendyfoot, i keep telling her Parker will cope just fine. :)

are you a member of the blinddogs.net page because i went there and tried to log onto the forum but it said i was banned. :eek: having never been there before i assume its a problem with the page. unfortunately i dont know how to email the admin there since im blocked everywhere LOL!!

-ashley

bendyfoot
August 17th, 2007, 12:11 PM
hmmm...I'll see what I can do about that...

Did you register to log in? There's a little "register" button on the top right after you click on "message board"...

rainbow
August 17th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Want4rain, if you're trying to join as a new member try using a different username to log in with. Perhaps the one you chose is the problem. :shrug:

want4rain
August 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
actually i never registered, i just clicked on the 'message board' link and it redirected me to somethign that said i was banned. no messae board even came up. every time i clicked on 'register' or 'log in' it just said i was banned. weird.

-ashley

bendyfoot
August 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Are you trying to log in from a work-related computer or a library? Sometimes they'll block message boards (obviously not this one, but it's happened to me too...) If so, you may want to try logging in elsewhere...

want4rain
August 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM
nope, at home, personal laptop. its a mac but id hate to be banned because i use a mac. the only thing i can think of is they had a problem with a user logging on different computers so they had to ban IP's from this state?? i dont know enough about this but on the other forum im a part of (fish keeping forum) they had to do that with some people who were spamming the site.

maybe they just dont like North Carolinians?? :D

do you guys see anywhere that says "Contact Us" or some such?? id like to write the admin about it but can not find anywhere i can email them.

-ashley

bendyfoot
August 17th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Just PMd an active member...I'll see what she can do...