-->

Spay/Neuter the Feral cat population

Riluke
August 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/853492.html

Interesting take on a big problem

ellendar
August 27th, 2007, 11:59 PM
The first feral cat was named Patches, a wild Tortie who got into my house and dropped nine kittens in the bottom shelf of my pantry when the kittens were three weeks old I took all of them and the Mom to a vet in Pullman, Washington and she boarded them free until the kittens were weaned because I didn't want to release the mom and kittens as she had taken a previous litter out and they went feral. Then when the kittens were weaned the vet put a big cage out in her lobby offering kittens for sale at $25.00 each with shots and wormed and a discount for spay and neutering to trusted clients particularly people who had lost their own cat companions due to illness accident or catnapping, and all of the cats sold and all were altered at the discount then Mom was spayed that was nine years ago and that feral Mom still eats on my porch , she is a very old lady of a cat, now i have four kittens of a feral Mom cat and i have tamed them successfully I have a trap on the porch for the Mom cat she is going to the county vet when I capture her and I will release her right here where the turf is familiar and then we will try to find good homes for four kittens which means homes that will alter them and take them in for shots. I really think veterinarians are the best ones to find good homes for kittens the way that first litter went, people want healthy kittens. I know how sad it is to wind up with a sick one hurts a lot:shrug: :highfive: :o :p :goodvibes:

Love4himies
August 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Sounds like a program that will help control the cat population. Too bad more municipalities don't look for a better solution like this one. TNR is the most humane and healthiest way to deal with feral cat colonies.

happycats
August 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Great job, but I think since this hit the news, he may end up with everyones stray and unwanted cats,knowing that they will be fixed and fed! They never should have given the address:eek:

punkyamberlea
August 28th, 2007, 09:12 PM
We have those programes in Michigan where i live, also our local animal control will spay/neuter give all shots, worm, treat for ear mites for free to low income familys. amber

glitterless
August 30th, 2007, 02:50 AM
What a great idea. We've got a major stray/feral problem in my area and very little help to deal with it. I wish that there was more funding for this issue.