Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to train a biter??

weppasmom
August 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Our new dog snaps and bites and I REALLY need some guidance since I've never had a dog who does this before. Sasha is a 2 year old mini-schnauzer. We kind of rescued her about 2 months ago because her former owners were neglecting her. She was kept chained outside rain or shine, winter or summer and just ignored all the time.:mad: They were already looking for a way to get rid of her anyway, so they let us have her. We have no idea what other bad treatment she may have been put through.
When Sasha is outside we have to go pick her up sometimes since she usually will not come when called. That is when she will bite. She bit me really hard last week. It makes her angry to be picked up, it seems. I never take her out without a leash, but if my husband is in the back yard with us, he will take her leash off. Also, if we are petting her she will snap when we start to pull our hand away :shrug: She's had a thorough checkup at the vet's and is very healthy.
I'm sorry this is so long, but I'm already checking into obedience training classes for us and I'm also aware she needs to be trained to come when called. My questions are: Is this biting due to Sasha thinking she is the "alpha dog" and in charge? Or does she just not trust us yet?
Does obedience training help with this kind of problem or is there something else I need to do? I'd love to hear the opinions of some of you who have maybe dealt with this before, because I want to make this relationship work. :D

Winston
August 16th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Our new dog snaps and bites and I REALLY need some guidance since I've never had a dog who does this before. Sasha is a 2 year old mini-schnauzer. We kind of rescued her about 2 months ago because her former owners were neglecting her. She was kept chained outside rain or shine, winter or summer and just ignored all the time.:mad: They were already looking for a way to get rid of her anyway, so they let us have her. We have no idea what other bad treatment she may have been put through.
When Sasha is outside we have to go pick her up sometimes since she usually will not come when called. That is when she will bite. She bit me really hard last week. It makes her angry to be picked up, it seems. I never take her out without a leash, but if my husband is in the back yard with us, he will take her leash off. Also, if we are petting her she will snap when we start to pull our hand away :shrug: She's had a thorough checkup at the vet's and is very healthy.
I'm sorry this is so long, but I'm already checking into obedience training classes for us and I'm also aware she needs to be trained to come when called. My questions are: Is this biting due to Sasha thinking she is the "alpha dog" and in charge? Or does she just not trust us yet?
Does obedience training help with this kind of problem or is there something else I need to do? I'd love to hear the opinions of some of you who have maybe dealt with this before, because I want to make this relationship work. :D

Welcome! I think you should see if you can start the obediance training asap! Also there is alot of info on this site to browse through and many more people will have lots of advice....I would also start with making her earn everything! treats..food..playtime etc..I think it is called "Nothing in life is free!" It sounds like this little one may have had some problems before and she could be reacting to that when picked up or quick hand movements..maybe it is the alpha thing..All I can say is that you are a very caring person to rescue this little one! A bit of patience and her training and It should work out well...

Do you crate her? if so please dont use the crate as a place for her bad behaviour!

Do you have any pictures to share of your new family member?

Cindy

:thumbs up

jessi76
August 16th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I think you'd certainly benefit from a trainer and/or behaviorist. Definitely seek some hands-on professional help. Be SURE to chose one that only uses positive methods though.

I'd also like to commend you for taking this dog in to your home & family. Sounds like this poor gal has had it rough for quite some time, which no doubt contributes to her lack of manners. I think a combo of time (to learn trust & respect), love, patience, positive training methods, and some weekly hands-on help will greatly improve your relationship.

definitely post pics if you have them! sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I think contacting a professional is the way to go.

weppasmom
August 16th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I will DEFINITELY get her into the obedience training very soon. She is very smart I can tell. I guess it will take training and some time to undo the damage done to her. She does, now that I think about it, seem pretty distrustful. I just don't understand how anyone could mistreat a little sweetie like her! :sad: