Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kitten throwing up

Meowzee
August 16th, 2007, 06:48 AM
hello,

one of our kittens is throwing up once in a while. they both had worm-threatments and are otherwise fine.

We're switching to dry food right now...any idea what it could be ?

yes..they're both little piglets and we try to reduce what we feed them, but just wanted to make sure its normal that cats once in a while throw up ?

the one throwing up is 13 wks old....otherwise all healthy and fine.

regards

Winston
August 16th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Meowzee are they eating the food too quickly? my two cats will throw up sometimes if they gulp the food quickly??

Cindy

sugarcatmom
August 16th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Is the kitten throwing up food, as in regurgitation? or is it more liquidy? If it's food, and you can see whole kibble pieces, and it happens soon after he eats, it could be that he's eating too fast. It could also be that his (her?) wee little stomach can't handle dry food (which expands when it gets wet).

Might I be so bold as to suggest you don't switch your cats to dry food? Wet food is infinitely better for cats than even the very best dry. They need to get water with their food, as they were designed to in nature. Because cats have a low thirst drive, those fed only dry are chronically dehydrated and can end up with a plethora of medical issues. On top of that, most dry food is WAY to high in carbohydrates for an obligate carnivore to be eating. Please read this: http://www.catinfo.org/ for more info, and reconsider the diet switch.

Meowzee
August 16th, 2007, 02:59 PM
thats so funny because i hear people say bad things about wet food. Right now we feed em dry and wet...or right now we started mixing dry/wet in a bowl. You might have a point with the food to dry and it expanding. But the cats drink a lot actually.

Yes...they are piglets and eat FAST...so we really need to watch this.

want4rain
August 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM
hey Meowzee- take the dry food you feed them and stick it in their water bowl. if it soaks up all the water in it, make sure the next day that they drink all of the water. remember that cats need more water than whats needed to digest their food.

if they dont drink the water needed to wet their dry food, feed more wet food. :)

-ashley

sugarcatmom
August 16th, 2007, 03:33 PM
thats so funny because i hear people say bad things about wet food. Right now we feed em dry and wet...or right now we started mixing dry/wet in a bowl. You might have a point with the food to dry and it expanding. But the cats drink a lot actually.

Yes...they are piglets and eat FAST...so we really need to watch this.

Ya, old-school thinking was that canned food was a waste of money because it contains so much water (but cats NEED that water!), and that dry food was better for teeth (so not true). Some also think that wet food makes cats fat, but it's actually quite the opposite (think of eating a bowlful of raisins as opposed to grapes).

Hopefully some of these myths will start to fall by the wayside. I know of a couple of vets that are now even saying dry food is the number one cause of death in cats, responsible for more medical problems (diabetes, obesity, bladder & kidney problems, IBD, allergies etc) than any other single source.