Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog with giardia

mztake
August 16th, 2007, 04:09 AM
has anyone had a dog with giardia ,my dog has been getting treated for it since jan 07 ,she lost 30+ pds ,we had xrays,bloodtest done to make sure there isnt anything else going on but she isnt gaining weight ,and is a very pickey eater ,i make bi weekly vet visits, any suggestions on getting her to healthy again would be helpful .

mummummum
August 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
You indicate treatment has taken place but you haven't mentioned whether she received any medicines or the course of treatment. Has she also been tested for other parasites (ie. repeated fecal tests) ? Has the Vet considered Irritable Bowel Syndrome or colitis ?

mztake
August 16th, 2007, 09:56 PM
yes she is on metronidazole for giardia and has done 2 shots. Also she also on azothioprine which i believe is for bowel sydrome, and cepalexin which is an antibotic and had a fecal test a few times which came out neg.

Dr Lee
August 17th, 2007, 10:42 AM
yes she is on metronidazole for giardia and has done 2 shots. Also she also on azothioprine which i believe is for bowel sydrome, and cepalexin which is an antibotic and had a fecal test a few times which came out neg.

I am concerned that there is more going on here than just giardia - metronidazole is the only medication for giardia. Azothioprine can be used for IBD because it is an immunosuppressive. If the sole cause of the weight loss and clinical signs is from giardia, an immunosuppressive would not be helpful. It sounds like your vet is concerned about IBD - is the giardia still testing positive and if so, on which test? Fecal floatation? ELISA? Some pets will test positive on ELISA for months after treament and it not necessarily be a problem.

Also do you know why cephalexin? It is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. Is it because she is on an immunosuppressive?

If there is a persistent giardia infection - then I have had success with the following protocol: fendbendazole by mouth once daily for ten days, with bathing every other day and on the last day of treatment. Also the giardia vaccine will also help to reduce the shedding (many pets that have persistent giardia are those that are self re-infecting). (when you said 2 shots - is that the giardia vaccine?)

Good luck.:pawprint:

mztake
August 18th, 2007, 03:10 AM
i can give you alittle more background she tested postive for giardia in January we were given the metronidazole for 2 weeks,and they said that should have cured it ,but the next week she had bad diarrhea and noticeable weight loss so off to the vet we go at which time they put her on a antibotic for a couple weeks thinking thats what problem.Couple more weeks go by and we have her test for giardia again it test postive so more metronidazole,they would only let her be on it 2 weeks at a time .At this time we had bloodtest done they came back with low thyroid they put her on levothyroxine,predinisone and bland diet and i was to give her pancreatic enzyme.They wanted use to try that for a month to see what happened at which we did but it still seemed nothing was happening except her still losing the weight and yes she still had the diarrhea.I took her back to vet at the end the month and they just shook their heads not knowing what to do.At which time we found there was a vaccine for giardia which had alittle more sucess rate. Only thing was this vet didnt have access to vaccine so we switched vets in June ,had all paperwork transfered over so this vet knew what they was dealing with and they also seemed alittle more concerned with the health of my dog ,she has not been tested for giardia since June ,and I dont know which test they using either,and as for the cephalexin they just using it for cuz it being a good broad spectrum antibotic,and the giardia vaccine cuz they felt she keeps re-infecting herself.Last visit we had her bloodtest again it came back good,and for a piece of mind had a xray done which also came back ok .So they still arent sure whats wrong we have her on meds for IBS thinking thats whats might be wrong .She is a pickey eater she eats a can of dog food if Im lucky,I boil hamburger,liver or chicken ,depending on which she likes that day and there always dry dogfood down if she gets hungrey ,and clean water . She is a rottie mix was 82pounds and now only 47pounds ,and has been holding at that weight for last 2 months since switching vets so like i said any suggestions would be helpful she will be going to vet again this week ,for a check-up

badger
August 18th, 2007, 07:21 AM
You may want to raise some of the issues in Dr. Lee's post with your vet, it never hurts to have another opinion.

mummummum
August 18th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand where your dog is at health-wise now. You indicate she has not been tested for Giardia since June and that all the fecal tests have now come out negative yet she is still on Metronidazole. Is she receiving the Metro in treatment of suspected colitis (specifically pseudomembranous colitis)?