Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

It's a girl!

Schwinn
August 15th, 2007, 11:40 PM
So my alarm goes off at 6:30 this morning. I roll over and see Mrs. Schwinn's not in bed. Gracie lately has been waking up between 5:30 and 6:30.

"Man, that little girl has GOT to start sleeping" Then I realize, the shower's running, so Mrs. Schwinn isn't with Grace. I got a little annoyed.

"WHY would she be in the shower this early? She knows I have a meeting. She doesn't have to go to work, so why would she...Oh oh!"

Sure enough, she comes into the bedroom five minutes later..

"I don't think you're going to work this morning".

So, up we get. I shower, we get Grace ready. Can't drop her off at the sitter's until after 8. We drive to the hospital, making a stop on the way. Mrs. Schwinn tells me to relax (I'd made a couple of quick lane changes). With Grace, labour started about 7 am, Mrs. Schwinn told me about 5 pm, Gracie arrived at 12:30 the next day.

We get to the hospital, around 9-9:30. The nurse asks how she's feeling, Mrs. Schwinn says the contractions are about 6 min apart (wait...contractions?? Already??) The nurse does her checks, doesn't really believe her, isn't sure she's going to admit Mrs. Schwinn.

"Let me check how dilated you are...woa! Okay, let's admit you". Sometime after 10-ish, she's admitted. We walk down the hall, and she's feeling quite a bit of pain, the back labour has started (I'm a man, so I have to assume this is the worst pain in the world...I may not be the brighest person in the world, but I'm smart enough to know that a man may not, at any time, question the pain involved in labour...it's worse than anything I have ever dealt, and no man would be able to handle it:D ). So, they decide right away to do the epidural. As I'm walking out to call family, the nurse says they are on thier way, and I here Mrs. Schwinn say, "That's good. He didn't handle it very well last time. They can do it before he gets back" (another long story for another post).

I come back maybe 15-20 mins later. Mrs Schwinn is white, sweaty, and has a death grip on the side of the bed.

"Hey! Are you okay??"

"The contractions are right on top of each other". What?? How long was I gone??

Sorry, this is getting long, so I'll cut to the chase...

Epidural at 12:15...baby at 12:48. When it was all over, I'm standing there holding my new daughter going, "What just happened?? I packed a bag...how'd I get this baby so fast??"

growler~GateKeeper
August 15th, 2007, 11:43 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/5.gif

congrats on the new baby girl she's adorable :cloud9:

has she got a name yet?

Schwinn
August 15th, 2007, 11:54 PM
The name...yea, about that...

So, when Grace was born, we were waffling between Grace and Claire.

Mrs. Schwinn had been talking about the name Fiona for a while (a good Scottish name I'm told, and her mother is from Scotland). I resisted. I knew a Fiona...not the kind of girl you take home to mother, if you know what I mean. But, it'd been wearing on me. As we walked down the hall, I said, "You know, I think I kind of like Fiona"
"Don't tease"
"No, really. There more I think about it, the more I like it" Now, I'll be honest. It's because of Shrek, and Princess Fiona...before you judge, yes, I have issues. I belong to the Church of Spongebob, what do you want from me??

Jump back to the birth. The nurses ask if we have a name, and tell Mrs. Schwinn to decide, I decided last time.

"Oh, what did he choose?"
"Well, his first choice was to name her after his mountain bikes"
"What? What are they called?"
"Kona Schwinn"
As she's telling them she said no, and I then said Grace, they're giving me these bizarre looks (remember...issues...church of Spongebob). I tried to avert thier stares by saying they should be glad I don't drive a Giant, or Gary Fisher or Surly...or any other name that would be worse than Kona...if you're a dog...anyway.

So Mrs. Schwinn says she was set on Claire, until I deliver my latest thoughts on Fiona. She said she needed to see the baby, she'll know what it's name is. Fair enough.

I go to pick up Grace with Mom-in-law. When I get back...

"So, what's her name?"
"What do you think of Abigail?"
"What?? What happened to Claire or Fiona???"
"I know, but I was thinking while you were gone" (That never turns out good for me)

So, as of right now, by beautiful new daughter is affectionaly known as...What's her face...face being her middle name...

We've run the names by a few people, and everyone seems to like all three. I think they may be trying to be polite, but really, that doesn't help me at all. One nurse did say she looked like either a Claire or an Abigail, but not a Fiona. Mrs. Schwinn suggested we sleep on it (really, Abigail was sprung on me at the last minute...haven't even thought of it). I left with instructions "No more names!! One of those three!" (As a side note, I've been told Grover is definitely off the table. AND I'm in trouble for that. The other night Mrs. Schwinn took Grace into the nursery and showed her the crib. "Look Grace, here's baby's new bed. Baby will sleep here." "This is Grover's bed?")

As for Gracie...she seems to like Whatsher Face Schwinn. She said, "Baby's cute!" and made sure to say goodnight, and "See you tomorrow Baby!"

luckypenny
August 15th, 2007, 11:54 PM
...the back labour has started (I'm a man, so I have to assume this is the worst pain in the world...I may not be the brighest person in the world, but I'm smart enough to know that a man may not, at any time, question the pain involved in labour...it's worse than anything I have ever dealt, and no man would be able to handle it:D ).

You are a very wise man indeed :D .

Congratulations to you, Mrs. Schwinn, and big sister, Gracie. Your new daughter is absolutely beautiful! You must all be so proud. Don't forget to give us all the important details we women need to know: weight, height, who does she look like? did your wife ever have a chance to feel any relief from the epidural? etc., etc..

Big, big :grouphug: to you all.

Schwinn
August 15th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Oh, and the first picture looks kind of smoogy and stuff because she's lying in the glass "box" as Gracie calls it. It has some marks on the side, so that's not on her. I was playing with the manual settings on the camera, and took the picture through the glass sides. I don't want you to think I have a crusty baby or anything!:D

growler~GateKeeper
August 15th, 2007, 11:59 PM
OMG :laughing: :laughing:

I like "Fiona" if that makes any difference to you or Mrs Schwinn :shrug:

Very very cute pics w/big sister Gracie :cloud9:

luckypenny
August 16th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I kind of prefer Abigail, Abby for short. I've always loved that name, it's so sweet and innocent sounding (I had a doll named that once :o ). What a lucky little baby to have such a wonderful big sister!

mummummum
August 16th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I always thought I would name a girl Abby if I had one. On the other hand I've known alot of Nuns named Sister Abigail ~ :eek:. One of my good friends (who is also one of the kindest and sweetest people I know) is named Fiona so I'm quite partial to that. I also like the sound of it : Fiona Schwinn ... lovely little girl Scwinn and I'm sure you were very, very brave :D big :grouphug: to Mrs. Schwinn. Wahoo a girl ! Lucky Grace ~ a sister ~ they're the best!

marko
August 16th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Congratulations Schwinn! The :stork-baby: sure did bring you a cutie!

A hearty laugh you've given me reading those posts - thanks!

Those pix are super cute as well.
For what it's worth, I like all 3 names and my fave is Abigail.

But whatever YOU and the Mrs. decide will of course be the right name for Baby Schwinn 2.

Best! :highfive: :party: :) :D

Marko

onster
August 16th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Congrats, she is so beautiful!!! I kind of like Abigail too :lovestruck: , but i think she would still be just as cute if u called her whats her face lol

happycats
August 16th, 2007, 06:16 AM
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
What a Cutie she is!!! you must be tickled pink!!
I like Abigail:) Gracie and Abi, sounds so cute together!!

want4rain
August 16th, 2007, 06:27 AM
*sniffles* babies. *thunderous sound of biological clock ticking* im ready for #3. :) and she is so beautiful!! congrats!! welcome back to the "get no sleep" club!!!:cloud9: :lovestruck: i love new babies!!

-ashley

chico2
August 16th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Aww Babies,what a wonderful time of life that was:cloud9:
Then as teenagers,I would have happily traded them in for cats/dogs:laughing: just kidding!!
Congrats Mr,Mrs Schwinn and big sister Graciehttp://bestsmileys.com/family/6.gif

Love4himies
August 16th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Aww Babies,what a wonderful time of life that was:cloud9:
Then as teenagers,I would have happily traded them in for cats/dogs:laughing: just kidding!!
Congrats Mr,Mrs Schwinn and big sister Graciehttp://bestsmileys.com/family/6.gif

Congratulations!! Yes good thing they are so cute and loveable when they are young, it gives parents a chance to develop unconditional love before they reach 13 years old. :rolleyes:

jessi76
August 16th, 2007, 08:01 AM
congratulations!!!! Whatsher Face is gorgeous!!

Abigail has been quite popular around my area lately, so I'm voting for Fiona or Claire. However, all 3 are beautiful, just like your new baby girl....

and btw, Miss Gracie is adorable as well!

breeze
August 16th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Congrats on you and mrs schwinn on your new arrival :stork-baby:

the picture of your new little one and the picture of Gracie and the new little one is pricless :thumbs up that is one picture you should cherishe for always.. they grow up TOO fast.
what ever you 2 diside it will be the perfect name.
hope all is well for the new mother and family

:highfive: :grouphug:

LavenderRott
August 16th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Congratulations!!

She is much cuter then Grover and I must admit, I liked the name Fiona until you mentioned the name Abigail. For some reason, I just love Abigail.

Dog Dancer
August 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Congratulations Schwinn!! Little baby Whatsher Face Schwinn (aka Grover) is gorgeous. I love the pics of Gracie with the baby. Priceless. I hope you and Mrs. Schwinn get some sleep and that the baby does well. At first I was like Abigail? So oldfashioned, but after five minutes I really do like it. Go figure, what an easy convert I was. I'm sure in a matter of days the baby will let you know which name is hers. Be well.

krdahmer
August 16th, 2007, 02:23 PM
http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0065.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

Congrats to you and your family!

jesse's mommy
August 16th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Congrats Schwinn! :stork-baby: Gracie and Grover are gorgeous! :cloud9: :lovestruck:

Frenchy
August 16th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Congratulations !!!! Gracie looks so happy to see her new little sister ! :cloud9: I'm glad everything went fine. http://bestsmileys.com/family/10.gif

Stacer
August 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Wow, congratulations to you, Mrs.Schwinn and Gracie. Your new little one is very cute. I am partial to the name Claire. Gracie and Claire, sounds nice together.

Bearsmom
August 16th, 2007, 04:44 PM
My neice is an Abbi, such a pretty name.

If we had a girl, she'd have been named Morgan Elizabeth. But, alas, we had a boy.

Congratulations to you and your family!

cpietra16
August 16th, 2007, 04:50 PM
It feels like it was just a month ago that you said you were expecting....time flies...

A Big Congrats
to you and your family:cloud9: she's beeee-u-teee-fulllll

rainbow
August 16th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Congratulations !!! .....to you, the Mrs. and of course little Gracie. I love the pics of her and the baby....soooo cute. :cloud9:

Byrd
August 16th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Hey congrats!!!!

What a cutie! :cloud9:

wdawson
August 16th, 2007, 06:18 PM
hey congrats

hazelrunpack
August 16th, 2007, 10:07 PM
A "crusty" baby....he he Scwinn, you crack me up! :D

She's a doll--just don't name her Macie--come Saturday, I'll have a Gracie and a Macie and if there were two of us with that combination, hazel would get pretty confused :eek: :o :p

Congratulations on the beautiful new arrival! :stork-baby:

TMac
August 18th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Congratulations!!! Your daughters are so beautiful!!

I'd vote for either Claire or Abigail, but do let us know what you and Mrs. Shwinn decide! I'm glad the labour and delivery went quickly - I really really hope I have a similar experience this October!

Enjoy your new baby, no matter what name she gets! :lovestruck:

papillonmama
August 18th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Wow, I checked in briefly yesterday and totally missed this.

Congratulations to you and the missus, and Gracie too of course.

All of the names are great, very sweet.

Take care

jawert1
August 19th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Congrats Schwinn, Mrs. Schwinn and Gracie!!! :highfive:

dtbmnec
August 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Congratulations!

They're both so cute :)

I like Claire best though, then Abigail, then Fiona.

:stork-baby:

Megan

rainbow
August 19th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Decided on a name yet?

growler~GateKeeper
August 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah what's baby girl #2s' name?????????????

Schwinn
August 22nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the wishes, everyone. I haven't been able to get on much since, so I'm trying to catch up. If I've missed any important threads, sorry 'bout that. Not trying to be self-centred here!;)

Well, as for the name...yes, she finally got an official name on Sunday. It is...

Madeline Clare. Then, when Mrs. Schwinn said "Maddy Clare", I realized that it sounds like an angry doughnut (say it out loud, you'll get it).

Gracie is still loving "baby". She keeps telling us, "I have to give Baby a kiss!" So far, all is going well with "big sister". I took her to the zoo today, and her first words in the house were, "Where's baby?"

Thanks again, guys! Seems like it was just yesterday I was sharing the news of Gracie yesterday!

growler~GateKeeper
August 22nd, 2007, 08:03 PM
Madeline Clare. Then, when Mrs. Schwinn said "Maddy Clare", I realized that it sounds like an angry doughnut (say it out loud, you'll get it).

Gracie is still loving "baby". She keeps telling us, "I have to give Baby a kiss!" So far, all is going well with "big sister". I took her to the zoo today, and her first words in the house were, "Where's baby?"

Thanks again, guys! Seems like it was just yesterday I was sharing the news of Gracie yesterday!

Madeline Clare is a great name :thumbs up

angry doughnut - too funny :laughing:

So cute Gracie loves her lil sis, she'll have so much fun when they can play together - then you need to watch out :laughing:

breeze
August 22nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
what a beautiful name for a beautiful baby girl :thumbs up

Cinnabear
August 30th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Congrats. You have beautiful girls Schwinn. Enjoy.:cloud9:

marko
August 30th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Nice name Schwinn! and nice quip on the name as well.

In French, eclaire also means lightening...which may be useful when she starts to run :D

Best!

Marko

Mahealani770
August 31st, 2007, 09:30 AM
Congrats Schwinn!!! :stork-baby: :crazy: :goodvibes:
:grouphug: to all!!!

CyberKitten
August 31st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Congratulations Schwinn and Mrs Schwinn and big sister Gracie and furbabies!!!! WooHoo- this is wonderful news!!!!!!!

I am glad all went well and mama and baby is doing well!! Give them both an extra hug for me and my meezers and Sphyneses. <g>

rainbow
September 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM
Madeline Clare......I love the name you and Mrs. S chose. :thumbs up

joeysmama
September 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Schwinn, both your girls are beautiful. I hope Mrs. Schwinn is feeling well and getting her rest. It's so much fun adding to the family isn't it?? Keep us posted with updates. There's nothing I love more than good news, and good news that involves babies---well life doesn't get any better than that !

mummummum
September 6th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Maddy Clare ~ priceless Schwinn ! But however will you keep a strainght face calling your beloved duaghter an angry pastry? :laughing:

Seriously though, Madeline Clare is a lovely name. More pix if you please !!

Frenchy
September 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM
More pix if you please !!

I tought there would be one already :D

Pretty cool name :thumbs up I love it , even if I'm craving donuts now. :shrug:

joeysmama
September 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I missed the post about the baby's name. I love it ! Both names are beautiful and they go very well together--as long as Daddy isn't being a smarty pants about it.:laughing:

I hope that Madeline is being an :angel: and letting everyone catch up on their :sleepy: and that everyone is on :cloud9: and enjoying all the :lovestruck: .

Schwinn
September 10th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks, everyone. My little Angry Doughnut is doing well. We aren't getting much sleep, but it's getting better. Maddy's moved into her own room, now that Nana's gone home, and I'm getting back to the gym (must..frighten...boys!!) Gracie's still loving her, and has stopped calling her "Grover", though she still calls her Baby. We have to remind both her and Daisy to be gentle with the kisses!

This is my favourite picture so far. I've been trying to play around with getting the lighting right, and I think it worked with this one. Mind you, I was using the lens cap in front of the flash, so if anyone knows a better way...

mummummum
September 10th, 2007, 08:46 PM
She's a keeper !

marko
September 11th, 2007, 06:30 AM
This is my favourite picture so far. I've been trying to play around with getting the lighting right, and I think it worked with this one. Mind you, I was using the lens cap in front of the flash, so if anyone knows a better way...

This is a beautiful picture Schwinn :highfive:

My advice - keep the flash OFF as much as possible. Move her cradle, car seat etc. right near the window when the sun is not blazing in. Cameras like just a bit of contrast so look for soft diffused light.
Diffused light is a photographer's dream and window light rocks!

Congrats again on your sweet doughnut.....mmmmmdoughnuts.

best!

Marko

Copper'sMom
September 11th, 2007, 12:49 PM
A little late......................Congrats on the new addition!!!!!!!!!!!!:stork-baby:They are both so gosh darn cute!!!!!!!!:lovestruck:

Schwinn
September 18th, 2007, 09:55 PM
This is a beautiful picture Schwinn :highfive:

My advice - keep the flash OFF as much as possible. Move her cradle, car seat etc. right near the window when the sun is not blazing in. Cameras like just a bit of contrast so look for soft diffused light.
Diffused light is a photographer's dream and window light rocks!

Congrats again on your sweet doughnut.....mmmmmdoughnuts.

best!

Marko

I just found out I can turn down the flash...that seems to work really well...she doesn't squint as much!

If I can get permission from Mrs. Schwinn, I'll post the new one when we get it downloaded.

rjesak
September 19th, 2007, 10:48 AM
*sniffles* babies. *thunderous sound of biological clock ticking* im ready for #3. :) and she is so beautiful!! congrats!! welcome back to the "get no sleep" club!!!:cloud9: :lovestruck: i love new babies!!

-ashley

At the risk of threadjacking, I'm so there with you Ashley. I'm 36 and have been trying for a year!!! The alarms are going off rather loudly and distractingly now!!

Whatsher Face Schwinn is lovely. I don't see any reason to have changed it at all. That said, I think Happy Doughnut will work quite nicely. My mom went by Happy Rodent for years...