Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can you help me understand ?

Frenchy
August 15th, 2007, 09:36 PM
So I got a new cat, Paddington. He is not sure of the dogs , he is let out of his room for about an hour a day since Monday, under my supervision. He got here last Sunday so this is very new to him. My concern is not with him but with my other cat Monsieur le chat. At first I tought Monsieur wanted to play with Paddy. They had a small argument last night before I put Paddy back in his room. This evening , Paddy really wanted to play with him and was running after Monsieur , at first it seemed like they were playing , but then I saw that Monsieur was running ... away from Paddy. He went under the coffee table , Paddy saw him and ran to him , before he even got to him , Monsieur le chat screamed bloody hell like if they were fighting (they weren't even touching !!!) Paddy stopped inches from Monsieur, and Monsieur ran away. So I put Paddy back in his room.

What I don't understand is : Monsieur le chat has been here almost a year now, he was always ok with the dogs , never ever hissed at a dog and believe me , he has met many here . My 3 dogs (Daisy was still here) then Nelly , about 4-5 fosters and 2-3 of my friends 's dogs.

So why is he freaking out at Paddy ? :confused: I know this is very new to him , but why ok with so many dogs and not ok with one cat ?

luckypenny
August 15th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Sounds like he's only been socialized with dogs and not cats. Maybe he thinks he's a little puppy too ;) . I know of dogs who are great with cats but not other dogs. He needs a lot more time to adjust. I think he'll come around eventually.

happycats
August 15th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Maybw because Monseiur has always been around dogs he thinks he's one:shrug: So does not know why this weird looking creature is following him.

I think Paddy is going to run this show, until Monsieur stands up to him, Paddy will be the boss.
Not to worry though, in my experience male cats learn to get along much better then female with male.
Try not to rush it with monsieur though, I wouldn't want him to be like my Jay, he screams and goes crazy nuts, when he sees another cat. I don't think I could ever bring another cat here, Jay would put us all in the hospital.

jiorji
August 15th, 2007, 09:43 PM
i think it's a dominance thing. There's a new CAT in his space. The dogs may not matter as much cos they're dogs and he doesnt' feel threatened, but the cat is the same specie as him.

My cats used to fight a lot when they came together too but there was never any screaming, just occasional hissing. Even now they still do that when one's being too rough. I think it's a matter of testing the new animal to see how far he'd go or how weak he is. I think that once that's established there won't be any male ego in the way or threats to one's space and place in the home.

I say you trim the claws adn let them get it out of their system. They should be ok to fight if the claws are trimmed back. No injuries.

I speak from experience, and that was ok for MY situation, but you know....keep an eye on them to make sure there's no bleeding:evil: :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
August 15th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Monsieur le chat thinks he's a dog :D Many cats are okay w/dogs but take awhile to get used to other cats, same w/dogs okay w/cats but takes awhile to get used to other dogs.

I think the chasing probably freaked M le Chat out more than anything - he's never been chased by a cat in his own home before.

Give them more shorter exploration time out together, they will sort out the hierarchy of whose top cat. :thumbs up

Frenchy
August 15th, 2007, 09:58 PM
My cats used to fight a lot when they came together too but there was never any screaming,

I would hate to hear Monsieur le chat if he ever gets into a fight ! :eek: There was no touching and he was screaming bloody hell I tell you. All the dogs were :eek: and it scared the heck out of my mom (she's visiting) she told me she doesn't know how I can do this , to bring home a newbie ,the introduction and all. She said she couldn't handle this. But I'm the crazy cat/dog lady now ! :laughing:

heyjude11
August 16th, 2007, 01:11 AM
My cat's mom lives down the hall (an apt.). I fostered her and her two kittens almost 9 years ago and my neighbors adopted the mom (Mollie). One of the kittens got URI so she had to go back to the shelter. The other kitten (Sam), I adopted. When people used to ask how many cats I had I would say 1 1/2 because Mollie spent every day here. I still say I have two cats because I feel that Mollie is part of my family too. When her parents opened the door in the morning, she would make a beeline for our place. Sam will only go to their apt. when Mollie is home alone.
Several years ago Mollie's parents went away for 10 days and Mollie stayed with us. Sam became very jealous and Mollie started coming over less and less but every time she comes over Sam howls and carries on as if he's being murdered, although when she heads for his food, as she always does, he just stands back and let's her empty his bowl. Then he screams some more.
Within the past 2 weeks Mollie has started coming over more regularly. Today was the first time Sam didn't scream and carry on. I know they'll never be love bugs but I'm hoping that Mollie will continue visiting so that they can at least re-establish some semblance of friendship.
Sometimes Sam tries to play with her and she hisses at him. Usually Sam will stalk her. If Mollie can get close enough to Sam she will try to groom him and Sam will walk away. Yes, this is a very dysfunctional family but I think it's a territorial thing. Mollie is very much at home here so she might even feel that this is her territory too. The point I think I'm trying to make is that even cats who are familiar with one another, while they might not get along, will learn to tolerate each other. At least I think that's the point I'm trying to make! Don't give up Frenchy. As I'm sure you know, these things take time. And patience. Lots of time and LOTS of patience. You give them time and they try your patience.
What is the age difference between the two? If Paddy is a kitten and Monsieur is older, Paddy just wants to play and Monsieur doesn't understand his intentions. Keep their visits short and always supervised. There's lots of good info on the 'net about introducing a new cat. Check out some cat sites and I'm sure you'll find the information you're looking for.
In the meantime, good luck. You're a great mom.
Having said ALL that, if anyone can help me figure out what gives with Mollie and Sam I'd love to hear your thoughts!!!!!

onster
August 16th, 2007, 06:59 AM
well, if u can believe it frenchy my kitten hazel actually chased down my adult cat Onnie who had already been in the house for 6 months and established the house as his territory. A 3 month old kitten would run after and jump a 3 yr old cat :rolleyes: and the 3 y old cat would scream for me and hide under things.

Now onnie pins hazel down for daily grooming sessions- must get behind those ears (and in them, eww lol). So don't worry...it will just take some time! :)

Winston
August 16th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Frenchy..next time they visit one another from outside their rooms...just rub a little bit of baby powder on your hands and rub each one with it...not alot....just enough to get them to smell the same...call me crazy but it works!! I have done this and it works well...my vet reccomended it! Whenever one of mine goes to the vet without the other all hell breaks loose upon their return...so it saves alot of fighting! for me anway!

Paddy is a doll! so is Monsiur le chat!

Cindy

chico2
August 16th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Frenchy,we've had Vinnie for 5 yrs,Chico still does not like him and will scream bloody murder if Vinnie dares to chase him.
However if Vinnie is sleeping,Chico does not mind laying down close..:cat:
Chico hisses and growls at Vinnie and will probably never accept him,but there's never been any fights,Vinnie knows better...
I would give them extra time,Monsieur is used to bossing the dogs around and beeing the King Kitty(rightfully so!),these things take time,often lots of time...Good Luck!
How is Paddy with you and the dogs??

Love4himies
August 16th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Sounds like they are normal cats just getting used to each other. I wouldn't rush M. Le chat to socialize him with Paddie, sounds like he needs some time to get used to another cat in his territory, maybe he's a little off because he may not be boss of the house anymore. Before long they'll be friends.

clm
August 16th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Same old, same old Frenchy, the cats will work it out in time. My experience has been that given time, they'll learn to coexist. Your first cat may or may not come completely around to the youngster, and they may have even have the odd fight. Come the weekend, when you're home and are planning on being in the house for a while, I'd leave them out together for as long as you can. Let them sort out their differences, it won't take as long as you think. Just be careful if you try to break up a fight, get yourself a water spray bottle to do that. The fights always sound worse than they really are, cats can make an aweful racket.

Cindy

badger
August 16th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Frenchy, you had such a great experience when you introduced Monsieur le chat to the dogs, remember?
This is different, two cats, one territory. Slowly they will learn that the other is not a threat and might even be a buddy.
The only time I interfere is when one is agressively stalking the other or if their interactions are getting out of hand (biting, etc.). Then I would remove the newby and put him back in his lair. Try again tomorrow.
Long process.
We should have clipped his claws before you left on Sunday, sorry about that.

clm
August 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Bringing back memories of when I brought Gabby into the house a while ago, she's still very kittenish and pushes princess Squeakie a little too far from time to time. Squeak does that high pitched scream when she's ticked off. Gabby still chases her around the house though. Every once in a while Squeakie can't take it and attacks Gabby. Gabby leaves her alone for a little while then. :laughing: Mookie just hisses when either one of them get too close. :laughing: And yet all 3 of them sleep in the master bedroom every night with no issues at all. :rolleyes:

Cindy

Frenchy
August 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
.just rub a little bit of baby powder on your hands and rub each one with it...not alot

I might just try that ! :highfive: I do remember when I had my 2 cats and I would come back from the vet with one , the other one would be hissing at him/her because of the strange smell.

Frenchy
August 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks everyone , I knew this was going to take some time. I was just very surprise by Monsieur le chat's reaction. rrreeerrrr ! :cat:

Winston
August 16th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Frenchy. I swear the baby powder does work! for mine anyway...and it is not enough to hurt them in any way...just enough to get the same smell on each?? How is Paddy today?

Cindy

Frenchy
August 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
How is Paddy today?

Cindy

Very good , hasn't been out of his room yet, I wasn't here this afternoon. I will take him out after the dogs supper. But everytime I go to see him , he is VERY affectionate with me :cloud9:

Winston
August 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Thats because he loves his new forever family!! Was he a stray that Badger rescued?

Cindy

Frenchy
August 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Thats because he loves his new forever family!! Was he a stray that Badger rescued?

Cindy

Yes he is , just like Monsieur le chat. I would love to let him out now but I think I shouldn't be on the computer while he's free to roam , I need to supervise just in case ..... with my spray bottle :D

rainbow
August 16th, 2007, 07:01 PM
You are right to supervise but I'm sure they will work things out on their own.

Frenchy
August 16th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I tried the baby powder. Paddington was out from 6:30 to 10:00. Nelly is staying clear of him :laughing: and Paddington is staying clear of Monsieur le chat , only 2 encounters , a bit of screaming but no fighting (pfiou!!!) No problems with the goldens but they are so unimpress , if Paddington is up on a desk / table / counter tops and goldens don't see him and walk by , Paddington tries to "slap" them. :rolleyes: But he did came to lay down on the coffee table and on top of the couch while I was in the living room with the 3 dogs :thumbs up

chico2
August 17th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Frenchy,baby-steps,that's what it takes:cat:
Paddy has probably never met or lived with a dog,I KNOW my cats,especially Rocky would totally freak out:evil: Vinnie and Chico would hide for a week:laughing: so Paddy is doing good!!!

Love4himies
August 17th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Paddy is doing so well for coming into a home with so many furkids. It must be the :lovestruck: atmosphere in your house, Frenchy.