Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

depression in dogs?

ian
August 15th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Hi there my name is ian. I live in the US and our family has a Chihuahua that is mixed with another breed but not really sure since he is bigger than most Chihuahuas. I understand that this is my first post but i was wondering if anyone has gone through this problem that we are having with our dog. We went out of town for two days and when we returned our dog was happy to see us and everything seemed to be the same. It wasn't until our neighbor called us and told us about what had happened while we were out of town. She told us that her dog was run over by a car and that she came to our house with her dead dog covered in blood to see if we could do something ( she was scared and didn't know what to do ) we assume that our dog saw her since he spends most of the time looking outside the window when we are gone. any ways we all felt very bad for what happened and she came over yesterday and after leaving we noticed that our dog began to act strange... he seemed to have become sad and wasn't the same as he was. He also wasn't able to sleep last night and would go to our rooms and look at us and whimper/cry and then would leave to his bed which is in our parents room. He was like this all night and still seems to be the same. Do you think it could be because he saw our neighbor with her dead dog? and maybe he had forgot about it and was reminded about it when she came over? its really strange and we are worried for him.... any help would be appreciated.

mummummum
August 15th, 2007, 10:15 PM
So, when your neihgbour rang the bell was your dogsitter there at the time ? Do you think your dog saw your neighbour with her dead dog or you are just guessing ?

Penguin may also just be confused by your absence during the crises if he did in fact witness it. Love him as you normally would with maybe a little extra cuddling if he asks for it and I'm sure this will pass.

luckypenny
August 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM
His whining and whimpering may be totally unrelated. Is he eating and eliminating normally? Perhaps a visit to the vet to make sure nothing is causing him discomfort may be a good idea. Was he alone while your family was away?

ian
August 15th, 2007, 10:37 PM
well im guessing that he must of seen her. since we have a big window that you can see her house through and is next to our door where she came screaming asking for help. no one was at our house so its just a guess. He has been eating well everything is the same only that he seems to now whining and whimper when he looks outside the window ... ive also noticed that he only seems to look at our neighbor's house... and yes we have made an appointment tomorrow with the vet... hopefully it isnt something bad...

mummummum
August 15th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Uhhhh.... you left your dog alone for two days ?

ian
August 15th, 2007, 10:53 PM
yeah it was two days the place we went wouldnt couldnt take pets... thats what i hate about certain places where " pets arnt allow " we usually have someone come home and see if hes okay when we have to leave for a longer time..

mummummum
August 15th, 2007, 11:02 PM
So, let me make certain I'm clear. You left your dog completely unattended ~ as in no one came in to take him out and feed him, no one visited, no in-home care at all ~ for two entire days. Do I have that right ?

luckypenny
August 15th, 2007, 11:02 PM
He may have gotten into something that you're not aware of. This is why it's never a good idea to leave a pet home alone for an extended period of time without supervision. Two days for him to be alone, coupled with what he may have experienced, and perhaps have gotten into something he shouldn't have...you just never know. Had someone been watching him, his changed behavior could have been prevented.

I really hope he'll be ok :fingerscr . Please keep us posted after the vet visit.

luckypenny
August 15th, 2007, 11:06 PM
I forgot to add...it would be a good idea if you explained to your parents why your dog should not be left at home alone for such a long time. Are there any dogsitters in your area? Could you leave him with another family member or friend who you'd trust to care for him properly?

ian
August 15th, 2007, 11:12 PM
he had food. he had water. we always leave the fans on. like i said we coudlnt take our dog with us and we needed to go out of town for two days. we left friday night and came back sunday morning. so he was only alone friday night and all of saturday. and when we came back he was fine everything was fine he wasnt acting strange or anything it was untill our neihgbour came by to our house on tuesday afternoon that once she left he started to act strange that same day on tuesday (last) night... and he wasnt able to sleep that night and would go in our rooms and whimper and he spent the night sleeing in my sisters bed and in his in bed which is in my moms and dads room. all we have noticed is that after our neihgbour came by he began to act like this... its really strange.

mummummum
August 15th, 2007, 11:15 PM
There's nothing strange about this Ian. You do not leave a dog unattended for two nights and a full day. There's no excuse for it plain and simple. You're lucky someone didn't call the SPCA on you and your family.

luckypenny
August 15th, 2007, 11:26 PM
What I'm trying to say Ian, and I say it without any disrespect, is that it's very irresponsible to leave a dog totally alone for that period of time. Anything could have happened to him. He could have had any number of bad experiences eg. he could have choked on his food, he could have fallen down the stairs, he could have had a seizure, something may have traumatized him, the power could have gone out (no fans working in this heat), etc., etc.. It could have ended up alot worse than just a change of behavior. Hopefully it's just minor and he'll soon get over it :fingerscr . It's not to put you down but to help make you aware that it's dangerous for your dog to have been left alone for so long.

ian
August 15th, 2007, 11:28 PM
we didnt think it would be animal cruelty the last thing in our minds is to hurt our dog. the reason why i find it strange is because he was fine when we came back. it was two days after words that our neihgbour came by that he begin to act this way...

luckypenny
August 15th, 2007, 11:32 PM
It may very well just be a delayed reaction. Keep an eye on him, offer him comfort when he needs it, and don't miss that vet appointment. Like I said earlier, it's possible that his behavior is just coincidental and unrelated to the situation with your neighbor. Best of luck to him.

ian
August 15th, 2007, 11:32 PM
What I'm trying to say Ian, and I say it without any disrespect, is that it's very irresponsible to leave a dog totally alone for that period of time. Anything could have happened to him. He could have had any number of bad experiences eg. he could have choked on his food, he could have fallen down the stairs, he could have had a seizure, something may have traumatized him, the power could have gone out (no fans working in this heat), etc., etc.. It could have ended up alot worse than just a change of behavior. Hopefully it's just minor and he'll soon get over it :fingerscr . It's not to put you down but to help make you aware that it's dangerous for your dog to have been left alone for so long.

i understand and we honestly woudlnt want to cause any harm to our dog. It was out first time that this has happened because in the past we always have someone come by to check on him. Im really worried that something might of happened to him... hopefully the vet findes nothing wrong with him tomorrow in his appointment.

hazelrunpack
August 15th, 2007, 11:35 PM
the reason why i find it strange is because he was fine when we came back. it was two days after words that our neihgbour came by that he begin to act this way...

Could be, then, Ian, that penguin's behavior has nothing at all to do with the neighbor's visit and there's something else wrong with him. Good thing you're going to the vet tomorrow. Perhaps he can help.

luckypenny
August 15th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Don't forget to let us know how he's doing tomorrow, ok?

ian
August 15th, 2007, 11:53 PM
i will i hope hes okay... hes sleeping right now and hasnt whimper for a while now... we took him out for a walk today in the afternoon and he was fine and didnt whimper at all he seemed happy... im hoping that everything will be okay tomorrow at the vet.

ian
August 17th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Don't forget to let us know how he's doing tomorrow, ok?

Hi there... today we saw that penguin, our dog, is doing much better. He was able to sleep all of last night and started to act more like himself. We went to the vet and expalined everything to the dr. and she checked him out to see if he was okay and she then told us that he is under stress because of what happend to our neighbour that the reason why he was fine when we came back was because he was happy to see us and that when our neighbour came to visit us two days after we got home that he was reminded of what had happend. she told us to just keep watching him and that she doesnt think its a good idea to have our neighour visit us for a while.