Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat is stuck in the sofa?!?!

onster
August 15th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I kid you not. So I hear scratching coming from my sofa, thought it was being used as a scratching post but looking behind it, in front of it, under it..nothing! So I went back to my email...and I hear it again. Nothing. Again..Nothing. At this point I think I have a mouse or my sofa is possessed. I then hear scratching and a meow-whimper. I take the cushion off the sofa bed and....

He keeps whimpering/ scratching and I have no idea how to get him out, the space is so small. I hope he can get himself out soon because otherwise I don't know what I'll do!!! Im hoping he'll figure it out and get out the same way he got in?!? He's half standing/ stuck in the small gap between the matress and the back of the sofa (its a sofa bed). *sigh* kittens = crazy.

luckypenny
August 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Can you slide your fingers under the backrest of the sofa and gently but firmly pull outwards? It looks like he only needs a few inches more to get out. Be careful to not let go if he isn't out yet. Is anyone home to help you? Or can you get a neighbor to help guide him out while your pulling?

Lukka'sma
August 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
OK.......I have had a sofa bed before but the back part isn't one of the moving parts to the sofa. The bed pulls up from the seating part not the back. There really isn't an area in the back to climb into. I gotta say looking at the pictures, I just don't get it.

clm
August 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Leave it to a cat to find a place like that to get stuck.

I hope you find a way to get him out. He does't look like he's having a good time.

If you tear the fabric off the back of the sofa, you might be able to get to him that way. You can just staple some new fabric back on later.

Cindy

mummummum
August 15th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Onster ~ along with LP's suggestion have the person with the skinniest arms in your house (or neighbours) take their your hand, reach up where his behind is to make all four legs are pointing downward as well as his tail. Have the person reach around to both of his sides to make sure nothing (like a loose spring is jabbing him and not allowing him to move.

onster
August 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM
thank you everyone for your suggestions. I dont know whether to laugh or freak out. My parents are on vacation and are coming home tomorrow, i hope i do not have to resort to tearing the sofa apart ( although I definately will if it comes down to it). My little brother is home with me and straight away I called him to help me try and pull him out. Hazel just freaked out and scratched the heck out of us.

Basically the mechanism of the sofa bed has it that the front bit of the mattress goes up into the back of the sofa when u push it back in, he is standing on that bit of the mattress and the small gap left in the back. Im thinking I could pull it out but I think id rather pull the fabric off because it might crush him ( he might get his paw stuck in the mechanism when i pull it out).

Oh hazel, why oh why.

onster
August 15th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Ive felt around him and there doenst seem to anything stopping him from coming down/ he's not physically stuck but it seems the gap is just too small? He will get his head out, but to do that he has to put his back leg up. Or he'll put two legs out and then he cant put his head out.

To top it off when I try to figure things out by reaching up through the sofa he swats at my hand and goes into 'play mode'.

mummummum
August 15th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Going back to my suggestion and LP's. You sit on the sofa seat and push your feet against the mattress itself, pull out on the inside of backrest of the sofa cushion to try to open up the cavity and have your brother do what I suggested to ensure she isn't caught on something.

Lret me add to this. : have your brother slide his forearm along her back, place his thumb on the side of her front leg holding it down, baby finger on the other front leg doiing the same, all other fingers on her head holding it firmly so that her entire body is covered and gently press down as you open up the edge of the cavity while pressing back with your feet against the back of the mattress.

rainbow
August 15th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I've never had a sofa bed so can't be of any help. Poor Hazel :grouphug: ....I just wanted to wish you good luck. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

onster
August 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM
mummummum, ive tried ure suggestion. unfortunately the sofa bed is new and my parents like very sturdy, solid furniture. It will not give in any way.

Ive called my brother's father in law, he is on his way to help me out. Wish me luck.

onster
August 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I have some explaining to do about the sofa (we had to physically put it apart), but hazel is now out.

Thanks everyone. Oh what a clown u are hazel :crazy: . This is him now...he looks none too happy about his latest adventure...lol poor baby looks like hes going to cry.

Winston
August 15th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Sorry but I have to laugh Onster! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: He looks thoroughly not impressed! Makes you wonder how he got in there in the first place! Bet he wont do that again! :thumbs up

Cindy

krdahmer
August 15th, 2007, 03:39 PM
AW... poor little guy had a rough day, I bet he has a good long nap now. So glad you were able to get him out. :crazy: :cat: s... the stuff they get themselves into!:rolleyes:

onster
August 15th, 2007, 03:58 PM
lol, its ok cindy. I was on msn when this all started and part of my nick was 'slightly freaked out by my sofa', when i still didnt realize it was hazel. Well my brother in Egypt msged me, explained to him, he promplty called his wife who called me from Egypt just to laugh at me/him :laughing: . They have a kitten Uro who is driving them nuts also, I think it was like :laughing: :laughing: ure cat is crazier than ours is! lol

hmmm im hoping my parents are too tired from their 16 hour flight to notice the chewed thru telephone wires, lamp wires, phone charger and now torn apart sofa :D

Winston
August 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM
OMG! All I can do is laugh right now! I am sure it isnt funny for you but I had a good laugh at your expense! Maybe after a long flight like your parents will be so tired that they wont care too much! (Until they recover that is!)
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cindy

onster
August 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM
lol, oh it was funny! Why do u think I got the camera?? :p

considering that whenever my mom has called these past 3 weeks she has asked about the kitties, rather then say ask about me/ my little brother...I think it may turn out ok lol. And if mom forgives, dad has to forgive :evil:

mummummum
August 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Phew ! I actually just came on-line to see if there was any news ! I'm glad it all turned out okay. You will have to take pix of the chair though so we can empathize with your parents :eek:

onster
August 15th, 2007, 04:36 PM
thanks for ure help mumummum!

My brother's father in law used to be a master carpenter but retired due to injury. He still works on his own little projects though and has taken the sofa to try and fix it. Trust me, it does not look pretty. lol. Did i mention it also now stinks??? Hazel farts when he's nervous :rolleyes: .

Febreeze, throw-covers and duct-tape don't fail me now!!:goodvibes:

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I'm happy you got him out. Boy, I've been thinking about getting a sofa bed but now I'm not so sure!

mummummum
August 15th, 2007, 05:03 PM

Awwww jeez :laughing:

dtbmnec
August 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM
:laughing: :laughing:

Gotta love what cats can get into. This kind of worries me though...WE have a fold out couch too...Then again we have a cover over it so the cats don't get hair all over the couch...that and I think my boys are too fat anymore to be able to fit inside there...

hehehehe

I'm glad he's out and OK though :)

Megan

chico2
August 15th, 2007, 05:11 PM
OMG Onster,he is soooo cute,your mom could not possibly get mad at him:laughing:
Glad you got him out though,more important than a sofabed,maybe it can be fixed before your mom gets back:pray:

onster
August 15th, 2007, 05:27 PM
come on ancientgirl, don't u want some mid-afternoon fun??? lol, seriously though, I think this something only my Hazel would do.

dtbmnec, don't be so sure :P My mom had a throw-cover on it too, he climbed in from the back :evil: My kitty is a skinny little thing though, all floof.

thank u chico, I just wonder how far the 'but he's soooo cuuuute' can go! lol.

Ironically/ thankfully its my birthday as well as my mom's tomorrow (yes, her only girl was born on her birthday :angel: ) sooooo hopefully it will slide? :fingerscr . Just in case, please :pray: for me pets.ca members. lol

dtbmnec
August 15th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Just in case, please :pray: for me pets.ca members. lol

:D Well if you never return we'll know why!! :p

Just kidding!

I'm sure Hazel wouldn't do that any time soon so maybe, just maybe you can convince them its a one-off thing. LOL

Megan

Winston
August 15th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Onster! make sure you show your Mom how freaked out you were!! Show her your posts on this site! She may have a good laugh like we did!

Happy Birthday & boy Hazel is cute!

Cindy
:thumbs up

rainbow
August 15th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I'm sure glad that Hazel is okay. :thumbs up

I hope your brothers FIL can repair the sofa bed. :fingerscr :goodvibes: If not, it sofa can be replaced but you'd never get another Hazel. :lovestruck:

Dracko
August 16th, 2007, 01:15 AM
He is so cute!!!

I think it's absolutely hillarious that you stopped and took pictures for us. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
August 16th, 2007, 01:28 AM
onster also has the pics for evidence in case parents are upset about the couch/don't believe their story about the destruction :D

heyjude11
August 16th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I just wanted to say Hazel is beautiful. I'm glad he got out safely.

onster
August 16th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Unfortunately rainbow the sofa will never be the same again. :rip: sofa bed. Maybe I could ask for a sofa for my birthday??? lol. :party:

Thank u winston, luckily my mom has a good sense of humour. She often covers up for hazel too when he does something bad with my not as tolerant of kitty destruction dad.

Dracko and growler of course I took pics!! hahaha once i realised he was ok i screamed for the lil bro to get me the camera. :sad: Im a bad mommy, i actually left the room and hoped he would stay in long enough so i could get a pic lol unfortunately my digi cam was out of batteries so i had to go with my bro's cell camera hence the crappy initial pictures. That and I need to have some proof that all the damage the house has gotten these past few weeks wasnt due to wild house parties :angel:

thank u heyjude11, I often say God made him super cute for a reason! He farts, flings his poop from the litterbox, chews on everything, attacks are ankles and has now moved on to destroying furniture. At the end of the day..i mean look at that face? how can u be mad..lol

rainbow
August 16th, 2007, 07:35 PM
So what did your parents say? :D

onster
August 16th, 2007, 07:44 PM
their flight from Shanghai was delayed four hours...now they'll be arriving in waterloo about 11pm...too dark to notice damage :D

On the bright side I went to home depot and bought up electrical wiring to fix the two chewed through lamps. I love u do it urself helper home depot people. LOL I looked at the wire and said "hmmm interesting....:o " and he explained it alllll to me ...veryy slowwly. I feel so smart and handy now..they actually work!! :lightbulb: :thumbs up

If u dont hear from me tomorrow, u know why :p

jiorji
August 16th, 2007, 07:58 PM
awww hazel!! big hug for you sweetie! glad you came out ok.

but.............:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: crazy story

hazelrunpack
August 16th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Trust me, it does not look pretty. lol. Did i mention it also now stinks??? Hazel farts when he's nervous :rolleyes: .

:eek: For a moment I thought you'd discovered my dirty little secret...bad house-keeping and ... er ... flatulence!! :o :laughing: But then I realized it was your cat! Must be the name... :p

Funny story, onster! I'm sure your folks will be so happy to see their darling children that they won't notice the general destruction...for a while... :p

Kristin7
August 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM
So glad you got the cat out of the sofa! I had to laugh a little - I once accidently did this to one of my cats... I put the sofa bed away w/o realizing Annie was inside the couch (under the bed). Awhile later I could hear a cat meowing but could not find her anywhere... finally I caught on that the meowing was coming from inside the couch. Luckily she was unhurt and all that needed to be done was unfold the bed again for her to get out. From then on, I always check the couch before folding up the bed!!

hazelrunpack
August 19th, 2007, 12:25 PM
So what did your folks say after surveying the damage in the light of day? :eek: Someday they'll look back on this and laugh, if they aren't already--they've got a great coming-home-from-vacation story to tell! :D