Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Concerned about Vlad's behavior

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I've noticed lately, Vlad has been acting a little odd. He used to do this in the other apartment too, but lately, he's doing it a lot. He'll go off to the bathroom, and meow, like he's lost. Or else, he'll just walk off to some other room and sit by himself on the floor. He sleeps a lot, which I know cats do, but he seems to be sleeping more than he used to. And when I try to play with some toy, he'll start playing, but then just sit there and look at the toy.

I remember when he first was neutered he was super hyper. But then little by little I noticed him doing the meowing off alone. Is this the affect of him being neutered? Could he be depressed?

I found these catnip treats at Petco, and have been giving him some in the hopes he'll be happy. I just don't know though. He looks sad to me.

I have a vet appointment on Saturday for their boosters so I'll talk to them then about it.

want4rain
August 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM
you sure he is bummed and not just listening to his own voice? i have a cat who loves the sound of his voice echoing off of differnt things. he yodels in the hall way, the bathrooms, at the cathedral ceilings in the living room.... he *loves* yodeling in the bathtub.

i thought he was looking for attention but have since felt to just leave him alone. he is singing. :)

-ashley

Winston
August 15th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Ancientgirl! My boy does the same thing! He will stay completely away from his sister sometimes and show up in a room meowing! or yodelling as I call it! He is healthy...just a wierd cat! Maybe Vlad likes the sound of is own voice!! :laughing:

Cindy

Love4himies
August 15th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I have had two male cats that used to do this. I think they are just wanting to hear their own voice or want somebody to come find them.

How old is Vlad? There does come a time that they settle down and are not nearly so active.

I would watch his bathroom and eating habits very closely to see if there is a change in those, and if you find any, I would have him checked out by your vet.

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I have had two male cats that used to do this. I think they are just wanting to hear their own voice or want somebody to come find them.

How old is Vlad? There does come a time that they settle down and are not nearly so active.

I would watch his bathroom and eating habits very closely to see if there is a change in those, and if you find any, I would have him checked out by your vet.

He's 6 months old. I figured he'd mellow out at about a year, but maybe he's just maturing faster. He's eating well, and his bathroom habits haven't changed. They both poop at least once a day and well they get plenty of water because they pee a good amount.

want4rain and Winston, I didn't think about him wanting to hear his voice LOL. Both he and Oksana aren't very vocal most of the time. It could be he's just wanting to hear his voice.

Love4himies
August 15th, 2007, 11:49 AM
He is only a baby still.

krdahmer
August 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM
HA! One of my kitties is doing that as I speak. Sometimes its cause they are looking for me, other times they are just talking to the wall... I would say that as long as he is healthy and his litterbox/eating behaviour is the same, it is nothing at all to worry about.

You don't have to.... but I began when they were little meowing back at them, usually this brings them running to investigate and sometimes we even have little kitty conversations... although I have no idea what I am saying to them... I just try to mimick what they do. At first they looked at me funny, but now its like they find it comforting somehow.

Ya I know....:crazy: :cat: lady!

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I call out to him when he does that, and at night I get out of bed and go get him and pick him up and give him kisses. LOL, I just don't want to feel that they are sad.

I'll try meowing back at him next time and see what he does.

The litter box downstairs is well used, and I can't believe its just Oksana making all those pee patties and poop. So at least that's assuring, and they both have good appetites, but I get the feeling they may be tired of their food.

I've been giving them some wet as a treat, mainly because I see they barely touch their dry anymore. I'm going to talk to the vet about changing their food little by little. I'd like to try some semi-moist stuff perhaps. It's just the dry holds up better for them.

They don't eat all their food in one sitting. But I have noticed when I give them a small can of wet at night even though they don't finish it at the moment, its gone by the time its bedtime. So maybe a little variety in their food might be in order too.

want4rain
August 15th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I'll try meowing back at him next time and see what he does.

oh goodness no.... i did that.... and now i have 3 very very talkative cats.

i say "Hunter.... what do you think you are doing?!"

and Hunter says "MERRow" with a look on his face that says he is doing whatever he FEELS like doing.

then i say "Well at least clean your paws when you are done."

and Hunter says "mrrw" like his paws ARE clean mom...

or first thing in the morning, *RIGHT* after i start wiggling awake....

"MERRROW"
(mom!)
"MERRRROW!!!"
(mom!!!)
then he pads all over my head.... my pillow starts swinging.... which he is really good at dodging....
"MEEEEEEOWW!!!"
(MOM!!!)

or Shadow(the yodeler)-

he RUNS to the front hall like "GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO!!!" but stops halfway to the little box and lets loose this ROOF SHAKING-

"MERROW!"
"YEOW"

then he dashes to the hall bathroom and sticks his head in-
"MEROOOOOW!!"

or the lamentable Shakespear at the bottom of our stairs... i swear he is just going to CRY!!
"meeOW yeOW meOOOW" and then he flops down to take a nap.

*shrugs* just be prepared. if you want your cats to talk to you, talk to them when they do it. regular old conversationalists.

-ashley

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Oh, see that to me is wonderful. I think I'd feel more of a connection to them. I think I'd also feel like they would know I'm more to them than just the person who lives under their roof and feeds and cleans up after them LOL

want4rain
August 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
it is good. :) noisy, but good.

-ashley

dtbmnec
August 15th, 2007, 02:14 PM
ROFL I got my mom to start talking back to them too!

Oh yeah Leo does it all the time....I'm always meowing back or calling his name....its all good fun...

Megan

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2007, 02:19 PM
See, the Dynamic Duo aren't really vocal. I always feel like I'm missing out on this wonderful thing to share with them. I'm going to start doing that.

krdahmer
August 15th, 2007, 02:44 PM
:laughing: :laughing: Ya my oh so not pet loving parents, are such sucks now.... they have two cats and talk to them more than they do each other!!! It's so hilarious to us, we were never allowed to have indoor pets, and now that house is run by two little furballs!!! :rolleyes: Old people...:laughing:

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Well, I'll tell you a little story.

When I was in high school, I had a wonderful kitty named Polo, a silver tabby. He was in indoor kitty until about 6 months, but we had to put him outdoors because my mother had breast cancer and going through difficult chemotherapy treatments. Her immune system was very fragile and my dad thought it best for her health to keep Polo outside.

For several weeks, I'd come home, take food out to him and play with him a bit then go do my homework. One day I came home, called to him but he never came. I did this for a week straight. Finally my dad said he must have just found a new home. I was sad but thought he really did find another happy place to live.

About a year later, I overheard my mother talking to my aunt about the dog next door, and how he killed Polo so horribly. I was devastated! I went to my room and cried! A few minutes later my dad walked into my room and told me I shouldn't be crying, that "People don't cry for animals, they aren't like people ."

I've never forgotten that. I loved Polo, and thought he was a beautiful little living creature who loved me.

Many years go by and I come upon Vlad. After I'd had him for a couple of weeks, I went to visit my dad one day and I was telling his wife and my aunt about what my dad said to me when Polo died. My dad's wife looked at me and laughed.

She said, "Well let me tell you what your dad did when we had to put down our dog because he had an illness that the doctor said he'd not live through. Your tough father cried like a baby!"

I was shocked. The man who told me we don't cry for animals, they aren't like people, cried because his dog had to be put down.

So I realized that people change, and now when I talk to him on the phone a few times a week, he always asks how my kitties are. He realized from his own experience how very much we love our pets.

onster
August 15th, 2007, 03:14 PM
awww, im sorry about Polo ancientgirl :grouphug:

Onnie 'talks' it is super cute. He gets so dramatic too, long drawn out meows when he's sad, short half meows when he's happy ..i often find my mom engaging in conversation with him :cloud9:

dtbmnec
August 15th, 2007, 03:46 PM
My two will often give little half meows whenever they want outside and someone is sitting out there. Its cute.

They also hate it when I have to close any doors to keep them away from getting into the room. They'll sit there and meow and meow and meow and it sounds like we're secretly torturing them.

I play an online game and was talking while Leo was in the middle of venting his anger about not being able to go outside and my friends were like "What the HELL is that!?" "What?" "The noise!" "Oh that's my cat expressing his displeasure at being kept inside. He does it all the time!" "Boy he's loud!" LOL. Most of them have cats as well and find my two's antics rather amusing. Often whenever they hear my cats over the mic, they'll say something like "Oh look you're torturing your cats again huh?" "Yeah something like that!" They know its all in good fun though :)

Megan

P.S. My brother "hates" the cats. Yet he's never ever hurt them. He's hissed at them and scared them with wierd noises but never hurt them. He sort of plays with them if I'm not looking too! But shhhhh don't tell anyone!

chico2
August 15th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Hubby and I both have conversations with our kitties and they seem to enjoy it:laughing:
My Rocky will go wha-wha and I think he's saying mama,but hubby thinks it's papa....
Rockys Hyperthyroidism makes him very vocal,I swear the whole neighborhood can hear when it's suppertime for the cats:laughing:

Ancientgirl,you asked about the food for your cats,I have always fed canned food twice/daily and firmly believe cats need and want variety.
The dry food is for snacking and since 2 cats like Orijen dry and the other Solid Gold,I buy both..but canned is their main meals.

I do not listen to my vet as far as food goes,she wants them on dry food exclusively and to top it off Hills or Medical:yell: I've had cats most of my life and I know from experience what's best for my cats.

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I'm noticing more and more that they also seem to be just snacking on the dry. I mean, it holds up all day, so I can safely leave it for them to snack on periodically, but one bowl seems to be more than plenty for both, since I fill both their bowls in the morning and both are barely touched.

I just fed them some Friskies I picked up at the Pharmacy, since I couldn't make it to the pet store, and they scarfed it down. I know a few people that feed their cats Friskies and they do fine. I tried some stuff from this pet food store near my job, that's made from more raw meats, and they didn't care for it. So I'll experiment to see which they like the best and give them that.

I just hate to think they're going hungry while I'm at work, because they don't like their food.

krdahmer
August 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM
:cry: Oh poor Polo... I know how traumatic the loss of a pet can be when no one seems to sympathize with you. Especially when you're young. My mom never had pets but my dad was from a farm and always had dogs, there were 'barn cats' but they got treated appaullingly and to this day he still ribs me about all the money I spend on mine.... but over the last 9 years since he's had cats of his own I have seen a dramatic change in how he looks at them and their care. My grandfather though is a lost cause.... he talks about the horrible things they used to do to cats on purpose to get me going.... and I (in a respectful and polite way) tell him he is an ass.:rolleyes:

Oh and I've found that now that I give my cats wet food, they are eating a lot less of the dry. Most likely they are eating what they need, but if you are concerned why not try a new dry formula?

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2007, 07:08 PM
OMG, don't even get me started on what my aunt told me some woman she knew in Cuba used to do with her cats. I was horrified! The woman must have been crazy, because I cannot fathom a sane person doing something like that!

Sadly some people don't see animals as beings that deserve to have their feelings or welfare considered.

I'm going to try a different dry. I'd like to try some semi-moist, or the soft dry. I'll try a few things. They're running out of what they usually have so I'll experiment. I have to say, I ran out of their Hills one day, and wasn't close to a pet store and got them some I think it was Purina Complete, and they loved it! And the expensive made from raw stuff I got them they turned their nose up to, and love the Friskies gourmet whipped salmon and eggs stuff.

I've noticed lately that the store brands, Purina, Friskies etc...seem to be trying to make foods that are more healthy for cats. Thing is, if that's what they like the taste of and it has all the vitamine's and protein they need then that's what I'll get them. They have to ultimately like their food.

krdahmer
August 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM
The thing with those is that they use a lot of fillers like corn and wheat. The cats love them so much because it is like a great big bag of doritos... junk food for cats. ( I know people feed their cats this and they live 15+ years so it can't be all bad. ) I just know that for mine it's just not good enough, but if I had no other choice or could not afford the zillions I spend on their food, I'd sure buy it, but like you said be choosy and get their "premium" stuff. :o

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I still have some higher quality stuff I can try for them. I know they like the Nutri Max cat wet, so I can buy that for them. I haven't tried the Pet Gold, but I think that's one of the better quality stuff. And I'd like to try the Hills again. I won't just give them the Friskies stuff. I believe I read one a threat here just what you said about them having fillers. I'm also going to ask the vet if there is any kind of a supplement I can give them, just to be sure they are getting all of the vitamins they need.

Vlad eats more than Oksana, and I don't want to feed them anything that will make him fat.

I wish I could remember the name right now, but earlier this week I did go to Petco to get them a new toy, and I noticed this "gravy" type product. You're supposed to add it to their dry food and it has vitamins and nutrients. If I can find it online, I'm going to ask my vet about it.